Dial out and hangup strings

Discussion in 'Telephone Interface (CBTI) and TICA' started by Figjam, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Figjam

Figjam

I've been playing with phone number detection (dialling) and hangup detection through a PC interface and have noticed the following 'issues'.

Firstly, the TI takes quite some time to realise the phone is off the hook and therefore can miss some of the dialled number (from a handset).

Secondly, I would have thought the 'hangup' string would be issued when the phone is hungup and not when the 'listen in' time out expires. Now this time is maxed out at 40 seconds, I can't determine the duration of call.

Are there some settings missed?

I simply want to know when a call is being made (from a handset), the number dialled and when the call is complete. I know the strings are sent out onto the network, but as mentioned above, they do not accurately reflect what is going on.

Cheers

Figjam, Oct 22, 2005
  2. Figjam

Figjam

I would have throught with 50 odd views of this posting, there would be at least a comment. Can someone please respond? I want to use this product more widely but need a little feedback on percieved problems

Figjam, Oct 31, 2005
  3. Figjam

Richo

This is not an official support service. If you post goes ununswered then consider calling Tech Support.

Richo, Nov 1, 2005
  4. Figjam

ashleigh Moderator

Sorry - although this is not an official support service I'll try and give you some answers anhow.

The 5100TAU makes use of a conventional modem IC with both data and voice capability.

Correct. In fact, the time taken to recognise the phone has gone off hook varies. You will see that sometimes it is almost instant, other times it seems to take about 1 to maybe 1.5 seconds.

Most of this time is the modem switching to voice mode and going off hook. In the development environment, when I run the modem through the command sequence to listen in on the call (after detecting the phone going off hook), every command is processed almost instantly, EXCEPT the one that actually makes the modem go off-hook and change to voice mode. This command seems to take about 1 second to process in the modem, and there is nothing I can do to change that.

Bit of a no-win situation here. We used to have the call watched for a long period of time and that causes all kinds of other problems. We settled in a recent firmware update on gaving the call watched for a short period and then giving up - the main purpose is to look for the access code being dialled.

No you have not missed anything.

I'll add your reports to the product improvement database, along with a couple of others that have been suggested, and try to do an update. I cannot promise when this will be, though. The development schedules are pretty busy right now.

ashleigh, Nov 1, 2005
  5. Figjam

Figjam

Hi Ashleigh

Thanks for answering the questions. I always look to the forum for answers before contacting tech support. Helps take the strain off the tech support guys who get the same questions over and over.

Maybe it could be possible to have one string sent out for when the unit stops listening and a separate one for 'on hook'. I plan to use the interface for other automation functions, where the phone state will do things like mute the TV, activate lights etc. Knowing (on the C-Bus) that the TI is listening is probably less important than knowing a true 'on-hook' state.

Thanks again for responding to the group

Cheers

Figjam, Nov 2, 2005
  6. Figjam

ashleigh Moderator

Thats sounds like a good idea and a good use for the CBTI.

I have added these items to the product improvement database. For technically complex reasons, any change to roll them in causes a consequent change to the TICA software (so you can set the various extra options). This means the development and test time is significantly increased.

Unfortunately this all means that any update is some months away.

ashleigh, Nov 2, 2005
Ask a Question