Deceased MRA Matrix Switcher - Options?

Discussion in 'Multi-Room Audio (MRA) and MARPA' started by Glenn OCallaghan, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Glenn OCallaghan

Glenn OCallaghan

Hi All,

I have a totally non-responsive Matrix Switcher and am after advice on where I can/should go from here. For several years I've used only one input, an Apple TV continuously playing music, that I control using an iPhone. So C-Bus wise the only controls I use are On/Off/Volume, but this gets used daily (Eg. Shower scene = Lights, Fan and Music). So options I can see, but have no clear way forward on any, are:

1. Repair?
    2. Purchase 2nd hand replacement?
    3. Purchase new? Can they still be bought?
    4. Restructure?

Restructuring is not an option I thought I had, but after reading a thread on this forum where Ashley explains that the Amps can be controlled directly. I have 4 zones/amps, and while I knew each was on C-Bus, I understood that it was the Matrix that did all the controlling (as I've run things with the Amps without power for a decade, the volume I get being sufficient, and as it looked they were always on, saves me always on power, and C-Bus uses a lot as it is!). But if this is not the case, can I have C-Bus controlling the Amps On/Off/Volume directly, and my single Apple TV feeding all four via device X? (Note: I can program things myself).

Thanks,
    Glenn.

Glenn OCallaghan, Nov 24, 2021
  2. Glenn OCallaghan

Conformist

Hi Glenn
    Are the amps located next to the matrix switcher or are they 'in the field'? Do you have a pic of the matrix switcher and amps? Trying to gauge what vintage they are.

Cheers, Chris

Conformist, Nov 24, 2021
  3. Glenn OCallaghan

Glenn OCallaghan

Hi Chris,

They are all normally located in a cabinet at the back of the Theatre, where the Amps are in the pictures. All devices were purchased in 2006. And in getting to look at the back of one of the Amps, there is an RCA input.

Regards,
    Glenn.

Attached Files:

4. Glenn OCallaghan

Conformist

Hi Glenn

As you are only using one input (from Apple TV) and it looks like your amps all have their own power supplies (not powered from the Matrix Switcher), you should be able to plug the Apple TV audio input into each amp. You would then select the 'local input' (RCA input as you have indicated) as the source for each amp (this is handled through Toolkit) and can have individual on/off/volume control from C-Bus which will control each amp. You can parallel the physical inputs to the amps from your source.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris

Conformist, Nov 24, 2021
  5. Glenn OCallaghan

Glenn OCallaghan

Hi Chris,

So from what I had, this is what I've changed...

1. Existing RCA input (was connected to Matrix) is now local input of Amp1
    2. Amp1 now has local power supply connected, there is now a blue flashing LED
    3. Amp1 has had the digital audio in disconnected
    4. Amp1 one already had unique GAs for everything
    5. Have programmed a button as a Prefix to set Absolute to 1% (select Local input)
    6. Amp1 Audio Levels: Change Volume from -70 to 18 dB (not sure this was required though)
    7. Amp1 Miscellaneous: Startup Source from Digital to Local

But with these changes in place, its not working (i.e. Select local input then turn on volume). Is there a "Matrix to Amp only" step I've missed?

Thanks,
    Glenn.

6. Glenn OCallaghan

Conformist

I'll need to take a look at the setup in Toolkit. Haven't played in that area for a few years. I seem to recall the blue LED being on (not flashing) tho on the amp

Conformist, Nov 25, 2021
  7. Glenn OCallaghan

Trevor

Trevor, Nov 25, 2021
  8. Glenn OCallaghan

bmerrick

Hi Glenn,

From the thread it looks like you have probably solved running your amps stand-alone, which should work fine for your stated situation. However, just letting you know that I have a tested 560884 Matrix Switch (the same model as yours) in our inventory. Send me a PM or email sales@ if you want more audio inputs back again and FYI, I also have stock of tested 560125R 25w amps and brand new replacement power supplies for 25w amps.

Brad

:eek::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

bmerrick, Dec 5, 2021
Ask a Question