comment and questions re toolkit

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by znelbok, Nov 2, 2004.

1. znelbok

znelbok

So I have now re-loaded my two networks into the new software and I gotta say that it is fairly intuitive.

My comments

The program wont open to a full window at startup even though the shortcut is set to maximize

It wont remember the state the project manager was last in, I have it showing and every time I start up I have to re-show it

It appears you cant configure in the database and transfer to the network unless you have scanned the network. This is slow and cumbersome. V2 allows you to load the dabase and make changes and then commit them to both the database and the network.

Scanning remote network - have not worked that out yet. I scanned yesterday, but today I keep getting "network is not communicating" error mesage, even thoughthe local network scans OK (most of the time). THe scan new feature found all the devices but then crashed, so the network is working.

Groups names all had to be re-entered in from documentation or re-discovering what each load or groups was from executing commands

no projects folder for backing up of c-bus project. Can multiple copies of the toolkit be pointed to the one project (I did this with V2 across the network)

Just some of my first impressions

Mick

znelbok, Nov 2, 2004
  2. znelbok

Duncan

Hi Mick,

Thanks for those points..

The Project Manager state will be persisted before release.

Yes, to do a transfer, you need to have scanned the Network. In time we may ease off on this requirement and do some of it behind the scenes. Personally, I feel more comfortable initiating a transfer when I _KNOW_ that the two are matched and ready to go but I can understand the requirement you're expressing.

Your remote network problems are interesting, will try and drill down into this with you, I have 2 of your exception reports in email, we'll analyse those and take it from there.

Multiple copies of toolkit can be pointed at the same project yes, but at the moment changes in one Toolkit wont automatically be reflected in other copies running.

Can you expand on the "no projects folder" comment.. projects are housed in C:\Clipsal\C-gate2\tag, they are XML files. Does this help?

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts, much appreciated.

Duncan, Nov 2, 2004
  3. znelbok

Richo

To clarrify Duncan's comments.

This is done very differently to V2 software!!!

Toolkit uses a client/server model to share projects to multiple computers. To enable this you need to select one computer to act as the server computer. This computer then needs to run CGate all the time.

Clients wishing to access projects then initiate a connection to that computer. This is done by selectiing "Disconnect Project Repository" to disconnect from the local CGate on your machine and selecting "Open a remote project repository" and entering the remote computers details. Both of these options are in the File menu.

Richo, Nov 2, 2004
  4. znelbok

Duncan

There's currently a defect that makes this impossible however.. disconnecting and reconnecting to a different instance of CGate causes a crash.. this has been fixed in Development, the fix will appear in the nextl release.

Duncan, Nov 2, 2004
  5. znelbok

Richo

he he he.... just after posting the instructions I decided to test the steps and found this out the hard way ;)

Richo, Nov 2, 2004
  6. znelbok

znelbok

Thanks guys

Yes the XML file is what I was looking for.

Can that location be changed to somewhere else. I dont like user files residing on c drive ad much prefer D drive so that I know if the OS dies the data is still in D and a reformat of c is usually pretty safe.

It also saves me from having to drill down folder in my backup software, as I can just select d drive and back that up.

Don't the both of you work for clipsal - shulry you should have had your stories straight. I had a little chuckle when I read the thread, reminds me of where I work :)

Scanning the remote network is a little hit and miss

This is how I do it

Set the local network to running
    scan it
    set the remote network to running
    scan it - hope it works. Often takes quite a few times before it scans

Would the CNI I am using have anything to do with this issue. It is one of the first that was released.

One more thing I have found

If you highlight the groups folder in the project manager, the left pane gives you a list of all groups and their Level. If I highlight a group and click on the set group on button, the load goes on but the level does not change. Clicking on the set gtoup off button turns the load off, but the level now says On. Clicking the off button again has no change to the load, but the level is now reported as Off (correct state). It appeasrs that clicking twice on the On button will toggle the level indication to On (while the load comes on on the first click)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2004
    znelbok, Nov 2, 2004
  7. znelbok

Duncan

Yep.. take a look in C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\config\c-gateconfig.txt

Find the line that reads:

project.default.dir=tag\

You can change it to:

project.default.dir=D:\Tag (or whatever you want).

C-Gate needs to be restarted after this.

Curious.. what version PCI are you using? Its possible its not getting into the correct mode to get Load Change information out of it.

Duncan, Nov 3, 2004
  8. znelbok

znelbok

how do I determine what the version PCI (CNI) is?

znelbok, Nov 3, 2004
  9. znelbok

Duncan

After scanning your Network with Toolkit the "Units On Network" view has a Firmware column on the far right.

Duncan, Nov 3, 2004
  10. znelbok

znelbok

CNI firmware 3.13

Didn't see that column as it was well off screen

znelbok, Nov 3, 2004
  11. znelbok

Duncan

Thanks, will do some testing.

Duncan, Nov 3, 2004
  12. znelbok

znelbok

One more comment I wish to make

Others may agree, and some wont, and a few wont care

Stop making the default location of the software a subdirectory of the root directory(ie c:\cbus). In windows world, programs belong in "program files" folder.

I know this can be changed at the time of installation, and that it is probably a hang over from v2, but it creates a crap looking file structure.

znelbok, Nov 7, 2004
Ask a Question