Colour Touchscreen 5000CTC3

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Razputin, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Razputin

Razputin

Hi all
    I have a Clipsal network of some size (76 units) comprising dimmers, relays, 1 colour touch screen, a couple of monochrome screens, light switches etc. The system was installed about 12 years ago, but the colour touch screen was replaced about 5 years ago. I cannot detect any PCI/CNI units on the network so I assume the installer used his own when setting up.
    The colour unit has both a serial port and ethernet port and I have no problem using the PICED software to update any programming changes on the unit.
    I cannot open the network and query the units using the Toolkit software. So my question is, is it possible using the 5000CTC3? Or do I have to get hold of a dedicated interface to make any changes. I would like to add another light switch but I guess I could just use the "learn" feature of the switch unit itself.
    I have been able to download the projects files from the colour screen.
    Any advice would be welcome.

Razputin, Feb 27, 2021
  2. Razputin

Ashley

The touch screen cannot be used as a cbus interface. You will need a seperate interface like a PCI (serial), CNI (network), or a logic device like a Wiser of SHAC which include a network interface.

PCI's come up quite regularly on Ebay. You just need a good quality USB to serial adapter. If you want more features, something like a Wiser or SHAC will give you Smart Phone access to control the system as well as allow programming changes.

Personally I wouldn't recommend using learn mode on a big network. Too easy to make a mess of it :)

Ashley, Feb 27, 2021
  3. Razputin

Wonkey

You can connect to you network via a monochrome touch screen. Take the front cover off and connect using the USB port

Wonkey, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Razputin

Ashley

I always forget about that one. It's only on the later screens though. The original doesn't have a USB interface.

Ashley, Feb 28, 2021
  5. Razputin

Razputin

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the monochrome screens are 12 years old and I have not seen any USB port on the front. Also, not documented in the user guide so I think they are too old to be used as an interface. Will pursue getting hold of a CNI.

Razputin, Feb 28, 2021
  6. Razputin

Razputin

The product code for the monochrome screen is SC5000CT/WE.

Razputin, Feb 28, 2021
  7. Razputin

Mr Mark

The original monochrome screens have a serial port on the back that you can use to connect to the network. You'll need a serial to RJ45 lead to do this though. I'll see if I can find a copy of the pin outs tonight.

Mr Mark, Feb 28, 2021
  8. Razputin

Wonkey

You mentioned you have the user manual. these units used to come with 2 manuals.
    The other manual was an installation manual and documents the connections Mr Mark is referring to. All of the touch screen manuals are available inside the PICED software under help

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Wonkey, Feb 28, 2021
  9. Razputin

Razputin

Thanks for the replies.

I found out that one of the monochrome monitors was replaced with a B&W Mkii touch screen so I was able to interface with the C-BUS using the USB port behind the fascia.

What I have noticed is that the cable used to connect the device is a 2-pair type and definitely not CAT5. The colour is pink though. Was there another type of cable used in the older installations? One pair is a white/red colour and the other pair black/grey.

Razputin, Mar 6, 2021
  10. Razputin

Wonkey

Very early C-Bus installations used telephone wire, cat 3.
    C-Bus can operate on other cables than cat 5e its just not recommended and if there is a problem its one of the things that would be high on the recommended fixes.
    If your system is working then dont worry

Wonkey, Mar 6, 2021
Ask a Question