CNI connection issues - "connection already in use"

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Phantom99, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Phantom99

Phantom99

Hi there,
    I am perplexed by why I can't connect to my Wiser unit using PICED or C-Bus Toolkit (but I posted here as it seems to be more the CNI connection and all configuration software is being affected).
    I have previously connected successfully.

I can connect the C-Bus IP utility and it shows status as online.
    address 192.168.20.240 port 10001

If I connect via a browser using 192.168.20.240 it connects and shows the Clipsal page with all details including ip address and port as above.

If I connect via Browser as 192.168.20.240:10001 it shows a message
    *** Connection already in use

C-Bus Toolkit v1.12.5 displays the connection message C-Bus Network is not open. Opening. But then displays error "PCI failed to reset".

PICED v4.11.2 Shows:
    Connecting to C-Gate 192.168.20.240 Connection to C-Gate failed.

C-Bus Diagnostic utility shows
    11:21:51 Tx : ~~~<CR>
    11:21:51 Tx : = Set Basic Mode
    11:21:51 Rx : *** Connection already in use<CR>

I have tried powering down and up again and have rebooted the PC (Windows 7).
    I can connect to the Wiser unit 192.168.20.241. and if I go to the System Utility and the Wiser tab it displays the CNI as: 192.168.20.240:10001

• Is there anything I am missing?
    • Any clues as to how to resolve this?
    • What further information would help diagnose my issues.
    Any assistance appreciated.

Phantom99, Feb 21, 2013
  2. Phantom99

kjayakumar

What I've understood from above is that your CNI is at 192.168.20.240 port 10001 and it is in use by your Wiser at 192.168.20.241. When using C-Bus Toolkit are you a) attempting to connect to the Wiser's own CNI port, meaning 192.168.100.241 port 10001 or are you b) attempting to connect to the CNI directly 192.168.100.240 port 10001? If you are doing a), then it will work fine. If you are doing b), then it will say port already in use because your Wiser is already connected to the CNI on that port. I'm assuming you're doing all of this on the LAN and not involving remote access in the picture.

kjayakumar, Feb 21, 2013
  3. Phantom99

Phantom99

Thanks for such a prompt response.
    I have tried both actually.
    But I went back and checked by changing the PICED C-Gate settings to 192.168.20.241 (it doesn't allow to specify a port number but I did try with and without adding :10001 after the ip address).

I noticed also that C-Gate used to show as a (minimised DOS) window, but doesn't seem to since I upgraded the C-Bus Toolkit.

Can I download and reload C-Gate separately?

I am also wondering if the latest Java runtime engine is messing things up?
    (Not even sure how I check what version i have, not what C-Gate supports?)

Phantom99, Feb 21, 2013
  4. Phantom99

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hiya,

I assume you are using the latest Toolkit version 1.12.5 and the latest PICED version 4.11.2. (EDIT: just noticed that yes, you are.)

The reason the console no longer appears is because C-Gate is now a Windows service. To open a command line connection to C-Gate that functions similar to the old console window use Start > Programs > Clipsal > C-Gate > Connect to C-Gate.

If however you want to revert completely to the original method of launching C-Gate in a console window, re-run the Toolkit installer and this time ensure you unselect the "C-Gate as a Service" box. The installer in most cases will handle this but if this encounters any errors or problems, you will need to un-install both C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate from Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, restart the computer, confirm there is no C-Gate service listed in Run > services.msc and then run the installer, unselecting the option as above.

However the above will not help you with your Wiser connection issue.

Note that you do not need to specify a port for C-Gate, that is baked into the software. Port 10001 is purely for C-Bus hardware interfaces. It seems that PICED is looking for C-Gate at the wrong IP address. I don't have the app here to check, but if all the software is installed on the same computer I am sure you can simply use "localhost" or "127.0.0.1".

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2013
    daniel, Feb 22, 2013
  5. Phantom99

kjayakumar

The connection you should use is to your Wiser's CNI port, so 192.168.20.241 port 10001. I believe the Diagnostic Utility doesn't use Java so you can run that to verify whether the port is correct. Just to check, your PC's IP is on the same subnet as your Wiser right? Otherwise, your PC is considered to be a remote device, so you'll need to ensure remote access->Toolkit Control Enabled is set to enabled.

kjayakumar, Feb 22, 2013
  6. Phantom99

Phantom99

Hi there, thanks for the assistance. I have connection now. I think the trick was to connect to the Wiser ip address not the CNI.
    In amongst other qwuircky things it was driving me nuts.
    Pretty sure I tried both Wiser and CNI ip addresses at the time, and so on top of other issues it was difficult to know which way to go. I have had to reboot the CNI a number of times but got there in the end.
    Having guidance from an expert eliminates some of the variables. So thank you. :)
    I also seem to have intermittent success with the remote access (over WAN), but I'll post separately.

Phantom99, Feb 24, 2013
Ask a Question