CNI - background network scan (autosynchronisation)

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Memphix, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Memphix

Memphix

I have a problem with CNI's on a particular network. The message I receive when trying to scan the network is this:

Warning - 22922
    A background Network scan (autosynchronisation) is in progress.
    Do you want to terminate it and start an explicit Network scan?
    ? It may take a few seconds to stop autosynchronisation.

There is a CNI which is working fine for a third-party (Crestron) link.

When I add another CNI it will connect fine, the network will be running, but when I try to scan I receive the Warning above. Choosing either Yes or No results in the CNI appearing to die. I have done this with two CNIs. When I bring the CNIs back to the office they work fine.

I believe the basics are fine, I can add a PCI and scan the network no problem.

What is this warning message?

Memphix, Oct 5, 2010
  2. Memphix

Newman

Products like HomeGate, Schedule+ and PICED use C-Gate in a different manner to Toolkit. Is it possible that you have any of these in your installation? Is the instance of C-Gate local to the PC you're using to scan the network or is it remote?

It sounds like there is another piece of software that is using the C-Gate/CNI connection other than Toolkit. I doubt it is a problem with the CNI itself.

Newman, Oct 5, 2010
  3. Memphix

Memphix

I don't suspect the CNIs as they are working fine on the office network.

I do suspect something not right with the site network. It has a CTC on it, as well as a CNI for interfacing with Crestron.

I'm trying to understand what this message means. There are some problems on this network, not sure if this is related.

Memphix, Oct 5, 2010
  4. Memphix

Newman

A CNI supports only a single connection at any given time. Is it possible that you're trying to connect to the CNI using Toolkit whilst the Crestron system still has it's connection to the CNI open?

Newman, Oct 6, 2010
  5. Memphix

Memphix

Crestron has it's own CNI, it would not be connecting to new CNIs I add to the network.

The CNI sometimes allows Toolkit to open the network and I can see events happening in the Application Log but it won't allow a network scan.

I will turn off Crestron next time I am on site to confirm that is not interfering.

Is there details on what this error is exactly?

Memphix, Oct 7, 2010
  6. Memphix

daniel C-Busser Moderator

This error indicates that C-Gate is in the middle of a background sync of the network.

When Toolkit OPENS a network, this background sync is turned off. Something else has come along after that (usually S+, PICED, Homegate, OPC, etc, but it could be third party products) and turned it back on. So that when Toolkit starts to SCAN a network you get this error. There shouldn't normally be a problem with selecting Yes to proceed.

Please try the following:

1. Disconnect the Creston CNI.

2. Ensure that no other Clipsal or third party apps other than C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate are running.

3. Ensure that only one instance of C-Gate is running at the site.

If the above don't work then please let us know:

- the software versions (available in Toolkit's Help | About dialog)
    - how are you starting C-Gate - manually, or letting Toolkit start it?
    - and <a href="http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5161">generated logs</a> so that we can take a look.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2010
    daniel, Oct 8, 2010
  7. Memphix

Memphix

Does C-Bus always or repeatedly do this network auto-sync? Or is it possible that its stuck in this state when it shouldn't? Could a power off to the entire network solve this?

I will do that if the boss provides the opportunity.

Do I need to take the colour touch screen offline as well?

I am using the latest toolkit (it starts C-Gate automatically), same problem with two different computers.

Confused at how the serial interface does not have the same problem.

Problem might of started since using the diagnostic utility (v. 2.0.0.0).
    Toolkit (v. 1.11.2)
    PICED (v. 4.9.2.0) currently running level 9 logging through serial interface.

Memphix, Oct 8, 2010
  8. Memphix

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi Memphix,

The autosync is not initiated or managed by C-Bus. Re-powering the physical network or the touch screen will not achieve anything.

You say that both PICED and Toolkit are running at once, this is possibly the problem.

daniel, Oct 8, 2010
  9. Memphix

NickD Moderator

The sync is a process running in C-Gate.. it's not a state of the physical network.

C-Gate can be left in autosync mode if you have connected to the network from PICED and then closed PICED.

You indicate that PICED is running an event level 9 log via the serial port... is this on the same computer?

Not really, since it's not a network state... That said, it would cause all your PCI/CNI connections to be dropped, so it may actually have the desired effect. I don't think you should need to do this though.

Nick

NickD, Oct 8, 2010
  10. Memphix

Memphix

Firstly, I really appreciate the replies - thanks.

No, not at once. Log revealed something I wanted to change, I then discovered I could not scan the network after closing the log down properly etc.

Initially I was monitoring the network with just the Diagnostic Utility. I then discovered support needed level 9 events to assist me. PICED was setup on PCI straight after the second CNI had the same auto-sync problem.

A power off to just the touch screen as opposed to the network may have the right affect by the sounds of it.

Memphix, Oct 8, 2010
Ask a Question