Cgate Help

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Frank Mc Alinden, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Guys
    I have been using CGATE 1.5 with xPL-GATE and i have just updated from Ver2 to Toolbox 1.1.5 ....After having a play with the new software , i closed it and tried to restart CGATE 1.5 and it brought up some errors regarding socket s etc....So i also tried to open CGate 2 in console mode (this is how i used ver 1.5) and the screen opens momentarily and the closes....??? Is there something i need to change in the CGATE2 configuration ??? or can i still use ver 1.5
    Any help appreciated....
    Thanks
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Feb 28, 2005
  2. Frank Mc Alinden

Richo

Hmmm... C-Gate 2 and 1.5 should be able to exist on the same PC OK. They can't be run at the same time, but I note you aren;t trying to do that.

My first guess is it's something to do with the updated Java that Toolkit would have installed. Try launching C-Gate 1.5 specifying the old version of Java that it would most likely have been using prior to installing Toolkit. You do this on the command line (or updating the shortcut properties) to something like this.

C:\[PATH_TO_JAVA]\bin\java -jar C:\Clipsal\C-Gate\cgate.jar

replacing [PATH_TO_JAVA] with the path to the version of Java you want to use. Toolkit installs the following version:

C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_07\

Check in the C:\Program Files\Java directory for other older versions and try them.

As to why C-Gate 2 isn't starting, I'm not sure. Will check with relevant people.

Richo, Feb 28, 2005
  3. Frank Mc Alinden

Richo

C-Gate 2 disappearing on startup like that should only be if another instance (copy) of C-Gate 2 is already running.

If you are sure that no other instance of C-Gate 2 is running, delete the "cgate.lock" file in the C-Gate 2 directory and try running it again.

NOTE: This problem might also be causing the C-Gate 1.5 issue as the C-Gate 2 running in the background will have control of the TCP/IP ports!

Also, if none of this helps, what operating system are you running?

Richo, Feb 28, 2005
  4. Frank Mc Alinden

MikeW

For what it is worth, I have never been able to successfully run C-Gate 1.5 after any version of Toolkit has been loaded. The way that I have been able to get around this is to reload C-Gate 1.5 but change the directory name from ?C-Gate? to a different name e.g. C-Gatev1.5. I do this in the two times it asks and usually I will get a message saying the folder does not exist do you want to create one? I then select yes and finish installing.

After this has been done both versions will run, but only if they are not running together.

In regards to your C-Gate window closing you may want to check in your task manager and see if you have either java.exe (console version of C-Gate) or javaw.exe (server version of C-Gate) running. These cannot be running when you start a new instance of C-Gate.

MikeW, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Richo
    Both version of cgate have a target path as shown below...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe -jar cgate.jar

I have deleted the lock file and tried to open cgate 2 but it still opens briefly and then closes......

Im using windows xp home edition

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Frank

6. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

In regards to your C-Gate window closing you may want to check in your task manager and see if you have either java.exe (console version of C-Gate) or javaw.exe (server version of C-Gate) running. These cannot be running when you start a new instance of C-Gate.

Thanks Mike.......closed the files and now CGATE2 opens ok and starts although it doesnt appear to scan the network....only message displayed is
    Host:/127.0.0.1 opened command interface from port 3177

Now when i open ver 1.5 it says the com4 doesnt exsist...???

Thanks
    Frank

7. Frank Mc Alinden

Richo

Try changing to point to a specific verison of Java as per the instructions. The java in the windows directory will be the latest version of Java installed and may not work with C-Gate 1.5.

Richo, Feb 28, 2005
  8. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Richo
    I located version 1.3.1 in the following directory

c:\programfiles\javasoft\ ..
    but when i try as you suggested it brings up an error stating wrong file name ...??

Any ideas??
    Thanks
    Frank

9. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Richo
    Im typing the following into the target path for the shortcut and its bringing up a target name not valid.........

"C:\ProgramFiles\JavaSoft\Jre\1.3.1\bin\java -jar C:\Clipsal\C-Gate\cgate.jar"

Thanks
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Mar 1, 2005
  10. Frank Mc Alinden

george

Is it indeed "C:\ProgramFiles\...", or "C:\Program Files\..."?

Regards,
    George

george, Mar 1, 2005
  11. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi George
    Have tried both ...no joy
    Thanks
    Frank

12. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Guys
    After a lot of frigging around i got cgate 1.5 to start.....It didnt like the programfiles without the space and also the quotation "marks position".....

"C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\Jre\1.3.1\bin\java.exe" -jar cgate.jar

Thanks
    Frank

13. Frank Mc Alinden

Richo

Excellent news Frank

Richo, Mar 1, 2005
Ask a Question