Can't Connect to C-Bus via CNI-2 But No Problems with PCI...

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by intelectsol, Mar 7, 2019.

1. intelectsol

intelectsol

This problem is occurring on a new HP PROBOOK Laptop with 8th Gen i7 processor... It is not occurring on my 7 year old ASUS X750J...
    Nor is the problem occurring when I connect via either the PROBOOK or ASUS using my PC Interface...

When running Diagnostic Utility via the CNI Config partially loads the Network Data and eventually hangs and displays a "Range Check Error".
    If I attempt the run Toolkit the machine gets part way into to the Network load which freezes and eventually displays "Error - Failed to Scan Unit" - Meaning CNI.

Windows Event Viewer - System Log is displaying Distributed COM (DCOM) Error 10016.
    According to Tom's Hardware < https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-error-id-10016.2752271/ > (and other Forums) there are 4 keys that when deleted from < HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole > supposedly fix the problem.

Deleting the Keys makes no difference - further research indicates that these keys carry through their setting from previous versions of Windows.
    Windows 10 on the affected PC is a clean install.

I have run both C-Bus & C-Gate both in compatibility mode all the way down to Windows XP and still can't get Toolkit to run...

The network hang has nothing to do with Virus and/or Malware Protection Software, I have de-installed both and no difference following reboot...

I have spoken with CIS (Schneider) Help Desk who are suggesting that there is a setting in the PROBOOK that is affecting the connectivity... Great, Thanks for that!...

I have wasted far to much time with this problem, it's a good thing I can use my C-Bus system as the Guinea Pig...

Does anyone have experience with this or similar issues.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    intelectsol, Mar 7, 2019
  2. intelectsol

Mike@MSA

Did you get to the bottom of this? I am having similar issues as we speak

Mike@MSA, Feb 4, 2020
  3. intelectsol

intelectsol

No, I am still having the problem.
    Clipsal help desk provided no insight or solution, they blamed my NIC set-up on my laptop.
    I don't understand the software well enough to diagnose the issue.
    There is a definite incompatibility with my HP Laptop.
    I am currently connecting via a spare PCI...

intelectsol, Feb 4, 2020
  4. intelectsol

Shiney2512

Shiney2512, Feb 5, 2020
  5. intelectsol

intelectsol

I purchased a USB-Ethernet Dongle and attempted to connect via the dongle.
    Would not connect.
    There is a problem with the handshake between the PC and CNI.
    It almost connects then times out and crashes...
    I suspect there is a driver (software) problem not hardware.
    I checked the NIC settings on both my old and new laptop and they are similar except the new NIC is faster...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    intelectsol, Feb 5, 2020
  6. intelectsol

Mike@MSA

At present I have found that I may have an issue with the cable that runs from the basement level to the PC on level 2. We upgraded the PC to Windows 10 and put the latest versions of Toolkit and Sched Plus on the PC and had difficulties (similar to you) with connecting to CNI's.

I relocated the PC to basement level where the CNIs are situated and direct connected to the CNIs through a replacement 8 Port switch and I was able to get 3 of the 5 CNIs to connect and toolkit/sched plus to run the networks.

I will be attempting to get the others going this week and assess the cable issue with the clients IT guy.

Will let you know what we find but it does show that Windows 10 and latest versions of software are not to blame in this case...?

M

Mike@MSA, Feb 9, 2020
  7. intelectsol

intelectsol

OK... I am interested to see what happens with your cabling.
    The connection to my CNI is 5 metres away from both my laptops.
    I have two CNIs - tried both same problem with both... I have tried a couple of Cat5 RJ45 cables and that makes no difference.
    As I stated when I started this thread... My old laptop has no problem connecting via the CNI.
    My (not so) new laptop does. I suspect there is a software driver problem because it doesn't matter if I attempt to connect via the laptop network port or the USB converter, the lock up occurs at exactly the same point...
    Re-installing/Upgrading the driver has made no difference either...

intelectsol, Feb 10, 2020
  8. intelectsol

Mike@MSA

Have you looked at your Internet Protocol TCP/IPv4 properties on your new laptop?
    I know they should connect automatically but sometimes it pays to enter a manual IP address with no Gateway and 255 subnet mask

Mike@MSA, Feb 10, 2020
  9. intelectsol

intelectsol

Thanks for this response.
    I will give it a try over weekend...

intelectsol, Feb 13, 2020
  10. intelectsol

intelectsol

I finally determined the issue that was stopping my laptop connecting to the CNI.
    The laptop is an HP 8265NGW.
    The problem was HP Velocity QoS software which was killing the connection to the CNI...
    Uninstalled Velocity, no more problem...

intelectsol, Jul 4, 2021
Ask a Question