Cannot ping 5500SHAC unit

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by Jaden66, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Jaden66

Jaden66

Hi,

Just unwrapped my 5500SHAC controller and got it on my test bench. Toolbox cannot see it, sought of!
    • I cannot ping it
    • Yes, 24V connected
    • I can via USB open the GUI
    • Toolbox ->Find IP and it can see the IP, 192.168.0.10, but still will not load it when I do a scan.
    • PC is set to 192.168.0.9
    • Latest Toolbox
    • Device manager has no unknown devices.
    • Oct 5 00:10:29 5500SHAC kern.info kernel: [ 2806.006351] fec 800f0000.ethernet eth0: Link is Up - 100Mbps/Full -
    Jamie

Jaden66, Oct 5, 2020
  2. Jaden66

Wonkey

Few simple question to start with (please don't take offence as the community has no idea about your experience).

Do you understand C-Bus?
    This Question can help the community with the type of questions we ask.

Is this SHAC connected to an operational C-Bus network?
    If No then you will not be able to scan the C-BUS network because you don't have one.
    If yes then :
    Check the network is set to the correct address found under Edit Network button on the Network branch of your project.
    Try connecting with a USB and changing the IP address to 192.168.254.10 ensure the port is left at 10001

When you say you cannot ping it I presume you mean using a command prompt,
    What may be better is to download the C-Bus IP utility tool https://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalSoftwareDownload/mainsite/cis/technical/index.html
    Connect your PC back to your own ethernet network on DHCP and connect the SHAC also to the same network, and let this tool find the SHAC and then you can set its IP address to match your network in this tool

By Toolbox do you mean C-Bus Toolkit software and if so what version are you running?

Colin

Wonkey, Oct 5, 2020
  3. Jaden66

Jaden66

Hi Wonkey,

I am self taught with c-bus, I am an electronic engineer by trade :)
    • No the SHAC is not connected to a network, I have just connected it forectly to my laptop (changed IP to be in the same range) via a USB and LAN cable.
    • I will also try to go through a switch incase there is a negotiation issue! Is this what you mean by a network? This may then give it out a DHCP. A friend also suggested trying this one.
    • I am able to get into the 5500 via a USB cable and I can see the IP is correct.
    • I will also try changing the IP # as a last resort and see if I get any luck that way.
    • Yes, via the cmd prompt.
    • Yes, Toolbox, the latest from the Clipsal site.
    • USB access so drivers must be OK.

Thanks Wonkey, a fair bit to try here, will report back. No smoke coming out of it yet :)

Jamie

Jaden66, Oct 6, 2020
  4. Jaden66

Jaden66

F I X E D!
    First thing I did was to connect it to a switch and I can now ping it :)
    So it needed a network to communicate! Thanks Wonkey.

Jaden66, Oct 6, 2020
  5. Jaden66

chromus

It’s a 100mbit device so u wud have needed a crossover cable this is because only Gbit has auto negotiate for direct cable connections

chromus, Oct 6, 2020
Ask a Question