Can not connect to Toolkit via VPN

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by fleetz, Feb 10, 2011.

1. fleetz

fleetz

I have a remote installation I want to be able to connect Toolkit to and make changes to.

I have established the VPN connection and it connects no problems to the remote site. When I try and connect to the remote CNI I get and information 23109 error "Failed to open the network, as the C-Bus Network Interface is inaccessible"

Is there anything I need to be aware of that will assist me in being able to to connect via VPN?

I connect with no issue when I am on site to the toolkit via the local network.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Feb 10, 2011
  2. fleetz

ashleigh Moderator

Its probably routing into the remote network. The VPN connection needs to set the routing to ALL the remote networks, and you may have more than one. If the routing is wrong, everything will fail.

If in doubt, it may help to use Wireshark to snoop the ethernet and get a deeper insight into what might be going on.

ashleigh, Feb 10, 2011
  3. fleetz

Ingo

Just check that your VPN device, at the remote end, allows the protocol and ports for the connection. Usually these devices have a built-in firewall that needs to be opened. It might also be as simple as a static route for the return traffic etc. Try and do a traceroute to the device and see where it fails, that sniffer trace might also come in handy then.

If all else fails, take control of a Remote PC and work from there.

Ingo

Ingo, Feb 10, 2011
  4. fleetz

fleetz

Sorted the VPN issue thanks guys. Some routing issues as you suspected thanks for the headsup on Wireshark and traceroute very helpful.

The only outstanding issue is I can only connect to the CNI via the VPN the first time I connect. It works flawlessly when it connects, however once I close TK down and try and reconnect it fails every to reconnect every time.

If I get the CNI power cycled at the other end it will reconnect everytime.

If I close the VPN connection and try and reconnect it will fail. Reboot the CNI and it will connect.

I can recall a similar happening with my system and gave up on using it. I am not sure what happens when TK hangs up on the connection but it certainly effects the ability to reconnect.

I could interrupt the DC power supply to the CNI using a relay and toggle the power each time I want to reconnect to it but it seems a better outcome it it would allow sequential connections.

Regards,

Fleetz

fleetz, Feb 12, 2011
  5. fleetz

oracle

the CNI can only handle one connection at a time.

rebooting is probably kicking off the other user of the port and allowing you access? just guessing

oracle, Feb 13, 2011
  6. fleetz

fleetz

Thanks Oracle for your input. I am aware that the CNI only supports only one connection, on my system at home I have an RTI remote control system (XP8) that connects to my CNI and I have to disconnect it before I can connect to TK.

The CNI on the remote installation is standalone ie doesn't connect to any other device on the system. I have the CNI connected to a 8 port 10/100 switch of which one port is connected to a port on the Billion ADSL/Modem router.

The system has a Ness M1 with a C-Bus interface which doesn't use the CNI Ethernet port. The M1 has an Ethernet adaptor which I can connect via the VPN every time. If I get the CNI reset (power cycled) on the remote site I can connect to the CNI, if I then disconnect then reconnect the VPN the VPN the M1 will connect but the CNI will not unless it is power cycled.

I have the Billion setup with the 10001 port open and the CNI IP address so there should be no routing issue. As I said it will connect first time every time after the power cycle.

Fleetz

fleetz, Feb 13, 2011
Ask a Question