C-Gate will not see COM2 under XP

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Steve Tester, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Steve Tester

Steve Tester

Hi,

I had C-Gate working on my server & after upgrading from w2k to xp & re-installing C-Gate I get a 911 event code no such port. Checking the hardware via XP com2 is there & working. 911 event code is -can't open control interface-.
    Any ideas what might be rong ? :confused:

Thanks...

Attached Files:

Steve Tester, Aug 16, 2004
  2. Steve Tester

Richo

Don't know if it matters or not, but I noticed your build of CGate seems old. Laters builds are available for download from the website.

http://www.clipsal.com/cis/downloads.php3#CGate

Richo, Aug 16, 2004
  3. Steve Tester

Newman

Steve

a) Make sure that the COM port is not used by some other device.

b) The current build of C-Gate is 1099 so I suggest that you update to this version.

c) Check that the javax.comm.properties file is in your: C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib directory. If not you may need to re-install C-Gate.

Newman, Aug 17, 2004
  4. Steve Tester

Steve Tester

Hi Newman,

I upgraded C-Gate & looked for the above file which is not there, I re-installed again over the top & still not there, any ideas :confused:

Steve Tester, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Steve Tester

JackD

I can reproduce that fault

I can reproduce that fault and create the same error message by changing the name of javax.comm.properties in C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib to "Blah.txt". Then if I change it back to javax.comm.properties it comes good again. Are you SURE that you have that file in that directory? (Assuming you are using the java runtime environment 1.4.2_05. You can tell by typing "java -version" in a command window)

JackD, Aug 18, 2004
  6. Steve Tester

JackD

You could also see where it thought java was

It just occurred to me that if you cancelled out of the JRE installer during installation then you would get javax.comm.properties out by itself in an otherwise empty directory tree at C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_05\lib. If you find that the version of jre you are running is not 1.4.2_05 then that could well create a problem. Anyhow, just search your hard drive for javax.comm.properties and you should be able to spot the problem.

JackD, Aug 18, 2004
  7. Steve Tester

znelbok

Ahh

This explains the problem I had. Java was already isntaleld, so I skipped it during the cgate install (it asked me if I wanted to uninstall java though) and I could not get it working until cgate did the install itself

Mick

znelbok, Aug 18, 2004
Ask a Question