C-Gate license dongle

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by PSC, Feb 21, 2006.

1. PSC

PSC

Is it possible for Clipsal to change the C-Gate multiple network license from a hardware dongle to something else?

The server that we purchased to run S+ on (Intel Xeon dual CPU) does NOT have a parallel port on board.

I can only find Windows based (non-hardware configurable) PCI Parallel port cards, which don't work in DOS; therefore C-Gate.

I thought I might have more of a chance convincing Clipsal to make the change than Intel :cool: :cool: :cool:

Or, can Clipsal source these cards and supply when needed?

PSC, Feb 21, 2006
  2. PSC

Richo

How are you running S+ on Dos?

Richo, Feb 22, 2006
  3. PSC

PSC

Who said that I was running S+ in DOS? :confused:

PSC, Feb 22, 2006
  4. PSC

PSC

The C-Gate console (DOS like) window CANNOT use any windows based devices / devices, correct?

So, IF my parallel port is software configurable (needs windows drivers) and non-windows based applications (C-Gate) need to use that port they can't.

PSC, Feb 22, 2006
  5. PSC

Richo

Console has nothing to do with DOS and is not DOS like at all. There should be no issues with C-Gate using any parallel ports regardless of there implementation as long as they appear in Windows Device Manager and conform to the IEEE 1284 standard for parallel ports.

C-Gate is windows based in the sense that the java runtime is uses is a native Windows implementation and therefore has the same rights as any other windows application. That is how come is works using USB RS232 ports.

Richo, Feb 22, 2006
  6. PSC

Richo

You said " I can only find Windows based (non-hardware configurable) PCI Parallel port cards, which don't work in DOS" so naturally I assumed that you wanted to use DOS.

Richo, Feb 22, 2006
  7. PSC

Richo

If you do have problems for some reason the dongle protection library is supplied by a company called SafeNet (formally Rainbow).

An updated driver for the parallel port dongle driver is available from them and may assist you in getting your system running. This is available here http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp select the "Other Hardware Keys" option. Read the instruction carefully as there are specific options you need to disable during installation.

A readme for the new driver is available here http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/files/ReadMe721.pdf

Compatibility information for the parallel port dongle is available here http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/compinfo.asp

Richo, Feb 22, 2006
  8. PSC

PSC

Thanks for that info Richo, I will try it today.

Sorry for describing the C-Gate console (black screen with white text) as "DOS like", how silly of me to get the two confused when they look nothing like each other, NOT! :eek:

PSC, Feb 22, 2006
  9. PSC

Richo

To be fair the context of the discussion was in accessing hardware and general operating system compatibility. In that regard there is little or no similarity between a Java Console application and DOS.

I understand the reference you are making to it's cosmetic appearance but that wasn't the nature of the discussion as I saw it. I can see now that this was not the way you interpreted the discussion and I can see how you arrived at your concerns.

My post was meant to be informative and helpful and not a criticism and I hope you don't read it that way.

Richo, Feb 22, 2006
  10. PSC

PSC

No problems Richo.

I tested the dongle on my laptop and it showed the 'unlimited' licenses (in C-Gate) as expected.

Any ideas?

PSC, Feb 22, 2006
  11. PSC

Richo

Hi Pete,

Well it sounds like the dongle is not faulty so that is one thing we can rule out.

Return to the downloads like I posted earlier and this time download the Sentinel Medic application. This will provide a diagnostic report I can return to the driver/dongle manufacture and possibly help in solving the issue

http://safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp

The following information was also supplied by the manufacture.

Now I have a feeling that you don't have bios settings from your description earlier. Could you provide the manufacturer and model info on the parallel port card you have installed.

Richo, Feb 22, 2006
  12. PSC

Richo

I worked with PSC on this offline, but I thought it worth sharing the results with the rest of the group.

In the end the dongle worked after purchasing a different Parallel Port PCI card and installing that.

For the record the card that did NOT work was this one: http://www.visionsystems.de/produkte/408.html

I don't know what card PSC used in the end. In communication with the manufacturer of the dongle they replied with this information relating to card compatibility.

They also supplied the attached file.

Attached Files:

Richo, Feb 28, 2006
  13. PSC

Extrex

Hi
    I am facing the same problem. I installed a PCI to parallel port convertor and it is supposed to meet all the requirements specified i.e ECP/EPP port and IEEE 1284 standard. It is also supposed to be bidirectional which is a requirement specifed by tech support.
    The dongle is still not being accepted and I have access to only 2 networks instead of unlimited networks (I am using the free lic. that is downloadable from the CIS site.)
    Did you have to install the Sentinel System driver and configure the port or did you just install the hardware and got the dongle working?

Extrex, Mar 3, 2006
  14. PSC

Richo

From my phone conversation with PSC he just installed the new PCI card and the dongle drivers and it just worked, no configuration required. Correct me if I'm wrong PSC.

Richo, Mar 3, 2006
  15. PSC

PSC

Exactly right Richo,

I just installed another PCI parallel port, same brand chipset just different version number.

I did install the new Sentinal driver to fix the 'No Driver Found' error that I was getting.

PSC, Mar 3, 2006
  16. PSC

Extrex

Hi
    I had installed the card and was unable to get C-Gate to detect the dongle. However when I configured the driver as specified by Richos attached file and also modified it according to the specs of the card I used, I was able to get unlimited networks on C-Gate.

Extrex, Mar 16, 2006
Ask a Question