C-Gate for HomeMinder (Serial info needed)

Discussion in 'C-Gate Developers' started by Brado23, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Brado23

Brado23

Hi All,

I'm looking into the prospect of developing a C-Gate type system for my Clipsal HomeMinder so I can do away with the ancient HomeMinder software (which wont even install on Windows 7) and operate it via other methods such as a Node.js application (similar to what Anthony Webb did with his Node-CBus application for C-Bus - Thanks Anthony!!).

To create this I obviously need to understand how the Minder is programmed via the serial commands sent to it for all of the possible actions. I can obviously do a serial trace and see the commands, but working it all out manually will be a mammoth job. Im hoping it is documented somewhere and someone can supply me with that document?

Does anyone know if such as document exists? I have contacted Clipsal and am waiting on a response. Hopefully I can get some answers here in the meantime.

Thanks,
    Brad

Brado23, Apr 16, 2015
  2. Brado23

Conformist

Hi Brad

There is no such document. HomeMinder isn't just programmed by 'poking the code' into the controller. The software continuously communicates and updates the project. This would be (if it is actually possible) a massive task and I don't believe you will find anyone who can provide you with any assistance. The methods used for programming the controller date back to before Clipsal started working with the controller... about 1993 I believe.

Conformist, Apr 16, 2015
  3. Brado23

Htnut

Why don't you save yourself a lot of effort and replace your HomeMinder with
    with a more current device.

I did so a few years back and bought a Ness M1. The prices have come down quite a bit since then

Htnut, Apr 17, 2015
  4. Brado23

Brado23

Thanks for the info guys.

Looks like it might be time to update. I want to find something that is programmable so I don't have to rely on GUI software from others. Does the Ness allow this?

If not, what are some other options to consider?

Thanks again,
    Brad

Brado23, Apr 17, 2015
Ask a Question