C-Gate 2 over 3 Networks

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by Jannie, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Jannie

Jannie

I've got a 3 network installation, interconnected with 2 bridges. With C-Gate 1.5, I found that communication and updates using only 1 PC-Interface was not realiable and had to use 3 PC-Interfaces, one to each network. The 2 bridges are still in place.

With C-Gate 2, will I be able to use only 1 PC Interface and get full functionality (sending commands and receiving status changes), using the 2 bridges to interconnect the 2 networks?

Are there any configuration setting, I need to be aware of?

So far C-Gate 1.5 (running on Win98) has been EXTREMELY stable. Only crashes sometimes when Homespeak connects to it.

What is the stability like on C-Gate2? Will it survive a Homespeak connection?

Thanks!

Jannie, Jan 9, 2005
  2. Jannie

Richo

There are difference to what you can and can't do via bridges, and the amount of work that C-Gate has to do to keep it's "model" in sync. Some of the "network" experienced users would have to explain exactly what. However, this could explain why you find direct PCI more reliable.

Wow....I'm surprised any software runs reliably under Windows 98.

Currently C-Gate 2 is *not* released of use in control environments, only as a commissioning tool. So you can not use it yet with Homespeak.

However, C-gate 2 is designed to be used for this purpose and when the final testing of control environments is complete, it will be released for use in these types of situations. C-Gate 2 should be as reliable, or even more reliable than C-Gate 1.5 at that point in time.

Richo, Jan 9, 2005
  3. Jannie

Jannie

My main application for C-Gate is as an interface into a Crestron control system. I control around 500 groups this way with full bi-directional communication between Crestron and C-Gate.

If I read the reply correctly, C-Gate 2 cannot be used in this environment? Does it not support the telnet connection & command sets? Why will it not work?

I've also been (pleasantly) surprised at the stability under Win98, been meaning to move it to Linux for a long time, but it's so stable, I never get round to it.

Can I run C-Gate 1.5 and 2 on the same installation? Obviously on different machines. I would like to test the toolkit but don't want to affect the production systems.

Jannie, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Jannie

Richo

It will *work*, it just we currently do not support it being used in this way as we want it to be sufficiently tested and all known bugs fixed before we say do it. Its a cover our butt type of thing ;)

C-Gate 1.5 and C-Gate 2 can be installed on the same machine. By default C-Gate 2 is installed in a different directory to C-Gate 1.5 so it is safe to install C-Bus Toolkit on to a machine with C-Gate 1.5 and you will not break C-Gate 1.5.

However there is a but, there is always a but, C-Gate 1.5 and C-Gate 2 can not be run at the same time. You can only run one or the other. :(

We would greatly appreciate you installing C-Gate 2 and testing completely in your environment, it would be great to know if everything runs smoothly and works as expected. However, please don;t leave it running in a live system until we feel it is ready to do so. It is VERY close and we don't really expect you to have any problems, but we don't like to take risks with our customers livelyhood so I'm sure you can understand our position.

Richo, Jan 9, 2005
  5. Jannie

Jannie

I understand I cannot run 1.5 and 2 concurrently on the same machine, but what if I run them on different systems, both connected to the same network(s).

This way I can keep my production system up on 1.5 while experimenting with 2 as a seperate instance.

Will the two C-Gates affect each other if they active on the same network?

Jannie, Jan 9, 2005
  6. Jannie

Duncan

This should work fine.. provided, of course, that the 2 CGates have different interfaces to the Network (ie 2 seperate PCI's/CNI's).

Duncan, Jan 9, 2005
Ask a Question