C-Bus Toolkit 1.15.0 released

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by daniel, May 15, 2017.

1. daniel

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi,

C-Bus Toolkit 1.15.0 has been released. You can find it at the CIS Downloads page.

While this release is a major version bump most of the changes are under the hood. A few Toolkit UI exceptions have been fixed, the cgate.exe launcher has been re-implemented with better logging, a newer version of Java is included and the USB drivers have been updated to work better on Windows 10.

Note: There is a known issue where eDLT units cannot be edited with the Windows 10 Creator's Update installed. We are still investigating this. For now the workaround is to uninstall the Creator's Update.

Regards,

Clipsal Software Team

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2017
    daniel, May 15, 2017
  2. daniel

We forgot to mention, C-Gate also includes some new features and fixes to improve performance of large sites - you can read more about these in the C-Gate release notes.

daniel, Jun 1, 2017
  3. daniel

GeorgeKosmas

Hi Daniel,
    Is there any word on a fix about not being able to edit eDLTs in the Windows 10 Creators Update?

This is causing problems on sites and downgrading from the Creators Update is annoying.

GeorgeKosmas, Jun 1, 2017
  4. daniel

Hi George we understand your pain. We are actively testing the fix now.

daniel, Jun 5, 2017
  5. daniel

We are aware of another known issue with 1.15.0 where the C-Gate Service does not install correctly if the machine does not already have a System JRE installed. This will cause C-Gate to fall back to starting in Console Mode.

If you need the C-Gate Service you can still achieve it by installing a Java JRE on your system first and then re-running the C-Gate installer.

We are working on a fix for this (and the Creator's Update issue).

daniel, Jun 5, 2017
  6. daniel

C-Bus Toolkit 1.15.1 has been released to fix the Windows 10 Creator's Update issue.

daniel, Jun 6, 2017
  7. daniel

PBirkwood

C-Bus Toolkit connectivity issue
    10th July 2017

BACKGROUND
    The home C-Bus network was installed and commissioned in 2012
    PROBLEM
    The C-Bus network installed at home connects through an RS-232 PC interface. It currently cannot download the C-Bus network details using the RS-232 to USB cable.

SPECIFICATIONS

Computer system specifications
    • PC description: DELL Inspiron 13-5368, tablet display
    • Processor: Intel Core i3-6100U
    • CPU: 2.30 GHz
    • RAM: 4.00 GB
    • System type: 64-bit

Software build
    • Windows: 10 Home
    • Version: 1607
    • OS build: 14393.1358

Toolkit specifications
    Toolkit version: 1.15.1

RS-232 TO USB CABLE AND SOFTWARE
    Local network uses Serial to COM7 Prolific USB to Serial version: 3.8.12.0; updated software from 2017 March 03.

CONNECTION PROCEDURE

There is a previously defined Langman project network which contains no C-Bus network information. The connection procedure is described below:
    1. Connect the PCI unit to the existing C-Bus network socket. Both the C-Bus and Unit Comms LEDs turn on.
    2. Connect the RS-232 to the PCI socket
    3. Open Toolkit 1.15.1
    4. Select COM7 as the port default interface
    5. In Toolkit, select Langman > Network
    6. Select Open Network and click to start. The Unit Comms LED begins to flicker, but C-Bus LED does not. After some time, an error (22918) appears.

Resulting error message

The error message is Error - 22918, PCI failed to reset. Unable to Open the network

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2017
    PBirkwood, Jul 10, 2017
  8. daniel

DarylMc

Can you select network and edit network to make sure settings are correct.
    Maybe power cycle PCI by unpluging.

I don't think you will find this is a Toolkit problem but if you are not using latest Windows maybe try a previous version of Toolkit.

Another option is to call CIS tech support.

DarylMc, Jul 10, 2017
  9. daniel

PBirkwood

Windows version

Thanks for reminding me. I added the windows version. I have tried shutting down the C-Bus network, unplugging and reconnecting the PCI. I'll check the latest Windows 10 version. Cheers

PBirkwood, Jul 10, 2017
  10. daniel

jboer

jboer, Jul 10, 2017
  11. daniel

DarylMc

Follow jboer's advice first.
    Since you used it previously I didn't take note of USB adaptor chipset.

DarylMc, Jul 10, 2017
  12. daniel

jonnyp64

This sounds exactly like the problem that i was having and posted about. I can almost guarantee that if you get the Dontronics EasySync Premium GOLD USB-RS232 cable your problems will disappear just like mine did. Before today, 1.11.12 was about as current a Toolkit version that i could use but after using my shiny new (and flashing) Dontronics cable today 1.15.1 sprang to life, connected first time and all is good in the world (i guess that i had better update my other post as well).
    PS- there is actually a sticky about this that i for one,
    could have done worse than read the actual thing!!

jonnyp64, Jul 10, 2017
  13. daniel

PBirkwood

Prolific USB not working most likely a confirmed problem

Thanks for the input. Last night I borrowed a friend's computer whose OS approximated what I had in 2012. I installed Toolkit (TK) 1.15.1 and then tried to connect using the same USB/RS-232 cable, but got the same Toolkit error message (22918).

I then rolled back to 1.12.7, which is the TK version that I believe was used in the 2012 commissioning. Same message again.

Which of course suggests that the USB/RS-232 cable and software is a likely suspect. I had also thought perhaps it was a C-Gate issue.

I'll follow up on your suggestions and locate a supplier. Thanks again.

Note: I've ordered the cable but it looks like the father/daughter team which own/run Dontronics are on a week's break. Hopefully, I'll be able to retry connection in a week's time.

See reason for urgency (if a reason at all): http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16497

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2017
    PBirkwood, Jul 11, 2017
  14. daniel

ashleigh Moderator

Can confirm Prolific adaptors cause a lot of trouble.

Prolific changed their chipsets around so that old / new models were incompatible. Then they DID NOT change the USB VID/PID, which means that the old driver can be applied to the new chipset (or vice versa) and hey-presto - things don't work and figuring out why is nigh on impossible.

I bought prolific adaptors at one stage because they were very cheap. And cheap was attractive. This was a dumb move, because I spent far more than I saved in stuffing about.

Using the Dontronics EasySync - no problems. Yes they cost around 5x to 8x as much (about $30 last I looked) but its chicken feed in the big scheme of things and they Just Work.

Also last I looked Dontronics had stock in Aus, they post out daily, and you get it a couple of days after you order it. Good service and unlike some cheap stuff from eBay - no month long waits for delivery.

ashleigh, Jul 11, 2017
  15. daniel

jboer

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2017
    jboer, Jul 11, 2017
  16. daniel

DarylMc

If it is a fixed installation and there is a good location for it I would consider using a serial device server with the CBus RS232 interface.
    I'm very happy with these and there is many similar devices.
    https://www.moxa.com/product/NPort_5100A.htm
    The CBus RS232 interface is then effectively a CNI.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2017
    DarylMc, Jul 11, 2017
  17. daniel

PBirkwood

Epilogue

Success!!!

The RS-232 adaptor arrived on Monday. I attached it to an existing RS-232 cable and used Device Manager to verify the port configuration and downloaded the most recent software.

I opened Toolkit 1.15.1 and edited the network config information. Toolkit downloaded the project from the network perfectly. I've saved it to Toolkit so that I can edit the groups to match the original project.

Thanks everyone for the help provided, and the useful advice for the future.

PBirkwood, Jul 26, 2017
Ask a Question