C-Bus control from other software

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by [email protected], Feb 4, 2005.

1. arnis@nyherji.is

[email protected]

Hi

I am new to C-Bus and am planing my a install at my home, I would like to know if it?s possible to control the cbus network with programs other than the clipsal ones.

For example I would like to use MainLobby from www.cinemaronline.com that is a great menu system program with it I am able to create great looking and fully customizable screens to use with a touch screen device.

anyone using anything similar ?

[email protected], Feb 4, 2005
  2. arnis@nyherji.is

Duncan

Hi Arnis,

Welcome to the Forum.

Clipsal Integrated Systems sell a package similar to MainLobby called HomeGate, details here

If you didnt feel that was appropriate, rest assured that using MainLobby you will still be able to control your C-Bus gear.. MainLobby allows you to launch external executables, from there you can talk to another peice of software C-Gate (that we give away). You might need do a little bit of work to get something talking to C-Gate that MainLobby can talk to.. but via the forum I'm sure we can help you.

Clipsal C-Gate Server is a software suite that monitors and controls a Clipsal C-Bus system. C-Gate has been produced to allow software developers and systems integrators to interface to a Clipsal C-Bus system.

C-Gate server software is run on a PC and uses industry-standard TCP/IP interfaces. Using TCP/IP opens the ability to control, connect to, monitor and Internet-enable a C-Bus system.

Software applications or building management systems connect to C-Gate’s Command Interface and can issue commands (such as ON, OFF and RAMP)and query the status of any object (using the GET and SET commands) in C-Gate’s model of each network.

C-Gate provides several interfaces to allow third party applications or building management systems to receive a continuous real-time list of events that have occurred on the C-Bus Networks C-Gate is monitoring.

Duncan, Feb 4, 2005
  3. arnis@nyherji.is

rhamer

Have a look at this also.

http://www.charmedquark.com/index.htm

I'm writing a C-Bus driver for it right now.

Regards

Rohan

BTW This is not my product, but it comes with the ability to write your own drivers (serial or TCP socket) built in.

rhamer, Feb 5, 2005
  4. arnis@nyherji.is

Richo

Please note, C-Gate is only free for single network installations. After that you will need to purchase licenses to access further networks.

Richo, Feb 6, 2005
  5. arnis@nyherji.is

martymonster

How much is this?

Does that mean if you have a C-Bus installation and add a wireless gateway (which is on a different network) you would need a license to use the Toolkit to access the wireless network as well as the wired network?

Marty

martymonster, Feb 7, 2005
  6. arnis@nyherji.is

Richo

I don't know sorry, check with your local distributor.

CIS Programming software has a special exemption enabling it to access any network at no cost via C-Gate. The costs associated with C-Gate and multiple Networks only applies for CIS "Control" software (HomeGate, Schedule Plus and C-Lution) or 3rd party applications.

So Toolkit CAN access all networks and it cost you nothing.

Richo, Feb 7, 2005
  7. arnis@nyherji.is

martymonster

Great, that suits me fine. :)

Marty

martymonster, Feb 7, 2005
  8. arnis@nyherji.is

[email protected]

HomeGate,

Can anyone point me to a site with a demo of HomeGate, I,d like to see how it looks before I buy it.

Thanks
    Arni

[email protected], Feb 7, 2005
  9. arnis@nyherji.is

Josh

Josh, Feb 7, 2005
  10. arnis@nyherji.is

znelbok

So if you have a wireless gateway and use homegate, you need to buy a licence for C-gate because of the "two " networks that you have, which in reality are only one for the average user.

That or have no homegate control over the wirelss c-bus.

does that sound about right?

Z

znelbok, Feb 7, 2005
  11. arnis@nyherji.is

Duncan

Hi Z,

Yes thats the situation at the moment.

Duncan, Feb 7, 2005
  12. arnis@nyherji.is

Andy@Mandoon

Sorry to sound a little slow, but can I just double check the above info.

Current situation: "When a wireless network is added to a wired network, it is considered a second network. Therefore, any 3rd party application trying to access the second network via C-Gate will need a licensed copy of C-Gate."

As wireless networks become more popular, a lot of people will end up with two networks (wired and wireless). If an unlicensed C-Gate can only access one network, this will significantly restrict the ability of 3rd party software developers to distribute useful software for controlling C-Bus via C-gate. This will be especially chilling on the development of free interfaces being developed for Open Source software eg. Mr.House.

Do you think there could be any possibility of allowing un-licensed C-Gate servers to access one wired network and one wireless network???

Thanks for your time,
    Andy.

Andy@Mandoon, Feb 9, 2005
  13. arnis@nyherji.is

Duncan

Yes its a distinct possibility.

Duncan, Feb 9, 2005
  14. arnis@nyherji.is

Charlie Crackle

Yes please include this feature. This is presently stopping me replacing my X10 Lamp control with CBUS Wireless. I did not want to go to 2 networks because Cgate licence issue.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Feb 9, 2005
  15. arnis@nyherji.is

Duncan

OK I'm happy to report that we've got the go-ahead from Marketing to update the licensing in C-Gate to allow the 'free' version to support 1 Wireless Network in addition to 1 Wired Network.. as soon as we've got the technical issues sorted with implementing this we'll provide an update to C-Gate.

Duncan, Feb 10, 2005
  16. arnis@nyherji.is

Charlie Crackle

You little ripper.... That is excellent news.

Good work.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Feb 10, 2005
  17. arnis@nyherji.is

Andy@Mandoon

Duncan,

Most Excellent News!! :)

I must say that I am very impressed with your (and the whole team's) responsiveness to our problems/questions/requests.

Andy.

Andy@Mandoon, Feb 10, 2005
  18. arnis@nyherji.is

ICS-GS

So this issue will impose on an application which we are in the process of finalising. Where we may end up (for distance and seperation issues) with 3 networks. Ground Floor, First floor, and back shed (far away).

So using HomeGate to control the house would require a licenced copy of c-gate?

Any idea as to how much this licence costs?

thanks

Grant

ICS-GS, Feb 17, 2005
  19. arnis@nyherji.is

Ross

Hi Duncan,
    I missed this announcement. :eek: It is a very good move. Any offset in licencing income will surely pale into insignificance with additional hardware sales. Congatulations and well done to all.
    cheers

Ross, Feb 17, 2005
Ask a Question