bar code scanning & manual entry

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by coppo, Nov 10, 2004.

1. coppo

coppo

Please clarify this, because i find it confusing....

i looked at a L5512RVF today whilst visiting a mate who is about to do a c-bus job with v3 for first time.

i thought ok lets try programming from the database, even thought the unit was not connected at this time..

There is a 'field' to manually enter the bar code/serial number from the side of the box.....

on the unit he had there were 13 digits on the barcode 9 311554 336899.
    the field only allows 12 digits.

Ok i thought, maybe the 9 at the beginning is redundant...

so i deleted it, to my surprise, the program accepted it but then automatically formatted the serial number by dropping the last 9 in the sequence , then adding a 0 at the beginning of the sequence.

i started with
    9 311554 336899

ended up with
    0311554 33689.

is there something i am missing or mis-interpreting ( quite possible on both counts).

coppo, Nov 10, 2004
  2. coppo

Duncan

I think you're looking at the wrong barcode.. The one that is significant to us is the one that has the words "Software Config Code" printed on it.. This has the Catalog Number AND the serial number embedded in it.. That particular sticker also has the serial number printed on it. After the letters "S/N":.

Scanning this barcode whilst a Unit GUI is open should complete the serial number and the catalog number for you.

Duncan, Nov 10, 2004
  3. coppo

barry dawson

Bar Codes

Finaly got to play with the bar code scanning :cool: way cool
    Great time saver.
    Quick note:
    We are on a large multi network job where we have placed the peel off SN tags on to spread sheets for programming and as built documentation, but the software config code gets thrown away with the box by the installing electrician.
    would it be possible to place the config code on the peel off tag insted of just the SN.
    For quicker scanning, rather than manualy selecting unit then scanning serial #

barry dawson, Nov 10, 2004
  4. coppo

Duncan

Hi Barry!

I'll check with the production engineering guys to see if there's room on the peel off barcode for the catalog number, I suspect there might not be.

Can you elaborate on the "manually selecting unit then scanning serial number" thing.. I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2004
    Duncan, Nov 10, 2004
  5. coppo

MVSobey

Special Units

Somthing else we have noticed is that the config code will not create a new unit if a special unit is scaned. Because the config code contains the special numer for the colour variance of the unit, V3 does not recognise the Unit and must be enterd in manually.
    eg.
    E5058NL-282 001000863640

MVSobey, Nov 10, 2004
  6. coppo

Duncan

Hi,

Yep, we're in the process of either adding or all the variants.. or attempting to strip off the variant information in the catalog number before deriving a Unit Type. I haven't decided which to run with yet.. probably the latter.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2004
    Duncan, Nov 10, 2004
  7. coppo

barry dawson

manual scanning

Duncan

The peel off serial # has the model # above it to allow us to select the correct unit.
    But If we scan the SN of an 8g neo with a 2g neo selected as a new unit it will place it in the database as a 2g neo.
    The Config # is just quicker and easier to use.
    This could shave a lot of time in setting up a database from scratch off site.

Still its a great feature :cool:

barry dawson, Nov 10, 2004
  8. coppo

Duncan

OK thanks..

You dont actually need to select ANY unit.. dont click on "Add Unit", just scan the barcode from the main Toolkit screen whilst you have your Units view open..

But I agree, it would be nice if the peel off sticker had the catalog code on it as well.

Duncan, Nov 10, 2004
  9. coppo

MVSobey

What Barry had explained was, that in the situation with our current project we no longer have the software configuration code that resides on the back of the units box, as the boxes have been thrown away. We only have the peel of labels which contain only the serial number of the unit. As the only info contained on this bar code is the serial number and not any info on the type of unit, scanning the unit from the main Toolkit with the Units veiw open will not add the unit to the database! Therfore the unit type must be selected manually first and then the s/n barcode scaned when prompted.
    Scanning in the Unit, in the way you described above, only works if scanning the Configuration barcode which we do not have in this case.
    Hence Barrys suggestion.

MVSobey, Nov 11, 2004
  10. coppo

Duncan

Ah I see now.. Thanks.

Duncan, Nov 11, 2004
  11. coppo

barry dawson

new project bar code scanning

Duncan

We put the scanning thru its paces on a full new project and found these hick-ups.

From a completely blank project, we scanned an 8ch dimmer and the pop up would not allow us to select unit address 0 or 1, it went strait to # 2.
    Even if we selected the drop down number selection 0 and 1 were unavailable. :confused:
    We changed it to unit #1 via re-address after we scaned it in as #2.
    all was ok after that.

We could not scan 5500cn it is not in the database.

And finally the Saturn eg:5082NL,GF would not scan via config bar code due to the colour referance (as posted before fix on the way,Thanks.)

:cool: What a great feature we compleated this project database in about 50 min
    10 output units
    41 input units
    75 group address
    labled and reboxed for site installation.

Once again
    Fantastic Feature
    Thanks Guy's
    Were not worthy.........(Wayne and Garth)

barry dawson, Nov 12, 2004
  12. coppo

Duncan

Thanks Wayne and Garth,

Will get onto those little hiccoughs ASAP.. thanks for the rest of the feedback on the barcoding feature!

Duncan, Nov 12, 2004
Ask a Question