Apple homekit integration!

Discussion in 'Voice Control' started by ievolve, Nov 7, 2016.

1. ievolve

chromus

Mixed platforms = mixed results in my experience.

It “should work” but mileage may vary. Many of us have moved to the raspberry Pi as the power consumption is sooooo much lower and with the image linked earlier in the thread it’s a case of install, import XML and do any updates and it just works.

chromus, Jan 1, 2021
  2. ievolve

iTitanium

Yeah I see most have gone across to the rasp Pi, I have a Mac Mini I am already using a an NVR so as it was already there I went with it.

I have a copy of C-Gate on my Mac, and can get C-Gate running in terminal. I am unsure of the command to load or run a project from here and how I get the project/C-gate to look at the CNI.

iTitanium, Jan 1, 2021
  3. ievolve

DarylMc

Hi @chromus
    Could you elaborate a little.
    Do you mean after an unplanned power outage and subsequent power return reboot Homebridge CBus doesn’t sync properly with HomeKit?

DarylMc, Jan 1, 2021
  4. ievolve

DarylMc

Have you got a stand-alone CNI or are you planning to use the one from the Wiser?

DarylMc, Jan 1, 2021
  5. ievolve

DarylMc

To get CGate to load and open your project you need to add the project name to the C-GateConfig.txt file located C:\Clipsal\C-Gate2\config or wherever that is on your Mac.
    Scroll down and the project name needs to be added in two places.
    project.default=“your project name” and project.start=“your project name”

Described here.
    https://www.cbusforums.com/threads/...o-a-c-bus-network-on-boot-up.9487/#post-53212

The project xml file is written to the tag folder by CBus Toolkit and it contains along with the network programming the CBus network connection details for the project eg IP address of the CNI.

Don’t forget to backup your project before you start.
    Get your head around the implications of having the project file in multiple locations eg if you make unit programming changes on remote CGate your project file on the local CGate won’t be current.
    Always use CBus Toolkit to make changes to the project xml file.
    I believe you can damage your equipment by manually editing and mucking up the project xml file.

DarylMc, Jan 1, 2021
  6. ievolve

iTitanium

Thanks DarylMc,

I am planning to use the wiser CNI, is there any issue with this?

I was planning to remote access C-Gate using toolkit, I assumed by remote accessing C-Gate running on the Mac mini it would update the project on the Mac Mini. And if I only ever updated it through toolkit remotely to the Mac this wouldn't cause a problem?

iTitanium, Jan 2, 2021
  7. ievolve

DarylMc

I’m not familiar with the Wiser CNI but as long as it is in good working order should be OK.

When you install Toolkit on Windows it also installs the correct version of CGate and Java.
    If you run CGate on the Mac you will have to manage this yourself.

It’s been recommended here before to use Toolkit and CGate on a Windows machine for unit programming because that is the officially supported and tested platform.

DarylMc, Jan 2, 2021
  8. ievolve

alexanderpoe

Hello!

Will this apply the same way to 5500NAC?

alexanderpoe, Jan 6, 2021
  9. ievolve

DarylMc

There is some value in learning how to set up Homebridge and CGate on your Mac Mini but I also recommend using a raspberry Pi because
    most of the work is already done.
    Hi
    Sorry I’m not sure what you are asking.
    The NAC does have an Ethernet to CBus interface.

DarylMc, Jan 6, 2021
  10. ievolve

chromus

SHAC and NAC can function as CNIs but sometimes it’s a little flakey. It took months of playing to get 1 clients SHAC CNI to play nice.

chromus, Jan 7, 2021
  11. ievolve

alexanderpoe

I'm a complete amateur, and I'm sorry for being vague, but the people who installed our smarthome are probably even worse as they haven't even heard of the possibility to integrate it into a homekit app. So I'm trying to figure out if I could do the same installation for LSS5500NAC in combination with Clipsal Cbus2 that we have installed. I mean doing everything that Anthony mentioned in his initial post: C-Gate Server + homebridge Cbus interface - will it work out? Should I try?

Also, I'm sorry to ask this: will installation of C-gate Server somehow alter my current set up and a web UI to control all the switches that we've been given? As I'm soaking in all the info I really don't want to mess it up.

Thank you so much for replying me!

Attached Files:

alexanderpoe, Jan 7, 2021
  12. ievolve

alexanderpoe

Is there a place I can read about this? Could you point to a direction please? After almost a month of trying to figure out what's what I'm getting a bit desperate here. =(

alexanderpoe, Jan 7, 2021
  13. ievolve

DarylMc

Hi
    Don't get too desperate.
    I'm having quite a bit of grief right now with bugs in Apple Home app where my phone can voice operate equipment but my Homepod speakers have mixed results.
    This is my take on using Homebridge, Homebridge-CBus with CBus.
    Since you already have a Clipsal NAC device hopefully your installer has created a usable interface which you can control your home from any device with a browser.
    I think that anything you can get the NAC to do eg scenes, schedules, 3rd party device integration you should at first consider doing this on the NAC.
    It will be more reliable, easier to backup and restore than anything you can put together with Apple Homekit.
    What you will mostly gain by using Homebridge is voice control on the Apple Home platform.

Since you probably have a nice home with all the CBus equipment the last thing you want is for the technology to be unreliable or for things in the home to not operate as expected.
    It is not that difficult to set up Homebridge-CBus but there is quite a lot of things to get your head around at the start.
    I think these instructions are the easiest way to get it going.
    Homebridge-cbus-installer/SETUP.md at master · greiginsydney/Homebridge-cbus-installer (github.com)

I don't think you will find a lot of installers offering it as an option because there really is a lot of things which can break it.
    Network addresses when you replace a router or even the next iOS update.
    To set it up and to keep it running requires a certain amount of knowledge and willingness to tinker.
    Aside from that voice control is a very nice feature.

Do be aware you could really cause some grief if you muck up the NAC or unit programming.
    I've not used the NAC but I know it has one or maybe two CBus network interfaces onboard.

I'm also waiting to hear if anyone else is having issues using the NAC as a CNI for a permanent connection to CBus.
    It certainly wouldn't stop me from trying it out though.

DarylMc, Jan 7, 2021
  14. ievolve

chromus

My client has constant ungraceful shutdowns due to unreliable power on site.

This causes Linux on his RasPi 4 and the NAC to panic a bit on the 1st restart.

Doing a graceful reboot on the Pi and the NAC GUI seems to get things back.

Mrs Client calls me to get it done remote, Mr Client is a bit more savvy and does it for himself.

It’s just clicking 2 things on their iPad to fix but she would rather not, she calls me if Mr Client is unavailable.

I have a shortcut on my phone to do it, so it’s NBD and they are happy to pay a few $s each time I have to do it.

chromus, Jan 8, 2021
    DarylMc likes this.
  15. ievolve

DarylMc

H
    Hi chromus
    Have you tried “wait for network at boot” on the raspberry Pi to see how that goes?

DarylMc, Jan 8, 2021
  16. ievolve

chromus

Already set that way and it didn’t help. The devices are all static IP.

It could come down to other parts of the IP network not coming online fast enough, I guess. They have a UPS on order so clean shutdowns and a lot less interruptions will be the norm in the near future.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    chromus, Jan 8, 2021
  17. ievolve

DarylMc

UPS sounds good.
    There is a lot of variables with network equipment which could cause problems.
    Another thing which might work is create a timer to delay CGate systemd service startup and adjust Homebridge service timer to start a bit after that.

DarylMc, Jan 8, 2021
  18. ievolve

alexanderpoe

Thank you so much for your message!

Yes, the installer has provided us with a web UI (picture attached, as you may notice it's just a bunch of on/off switches), but it's just a virtual remote control, there is no possibility to create scenes, which is why I would want it to be integrated into homekit so that I could use it with sensors from other manufacturers to create scenes and automate some processes from the app.

I would like to try to integrate Xiaomi sensors, for example, into it, but I'm not sure how to do that and if it's even possible considering that it's all wiring with NAC.

I definitely would want to try to tinker with it, all I'm worried is not to mess up some coding that would result me in calling the installer and paying extra to fix it back (and my wife crucifying me in the process =D)

We have a static IP set to the NAC to be able to reach it outside of home - do you reckon it's a possible point of caution?

Also, thank you so much for the link! It seems like a very good start!

Appreciate your time and help!

Attached Files:

alexanderpoe, Jan 8, 2021
  19. ievolve

chromus

Scenes are easily built using logic and virtual buttons. It’s not as easy as old school CBUS units but very doable.

In essence:

1. create a “dummy” grp adddess
    2. Create logic that says if “dummy” grp address = on then do XYZ to “real” grps
    3. Create logic to turn “real” grps to off when “dummy” is turned off.

chromus, Jan 8, 2021
  20. ievolve

DarylMc

I’m not familiar with the NAC or its settings for remote access.
    It seems to me though you should investigate more of its capabilities.
    Since you have a limited understanding of your setup I think it would be a good idea to work in conjunction with someone at least to get started.

DarylMc, Jan 8, 2021
Ask a Question