answering machines

Discussion in 'Telephone Interface (CBTI) and TICA' started by RichardC, Apr 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardC

RichardC

We understnd that there are some issues between the telephone interface and certain answering machines. We have a job where we believe the following is happening-the the answering machine doesn't answer as it thinks that C-Bus has picked up the call as it is looking at the line. The answering machine has been set up on the secondary line.Can anyone confirm what answering machines have they seen successfullly working alongside of the telephone interface. Thanks in advance.

RichardC, Apr 28, 2006
  2. RichardC

PSC

Is it a Panasonic answering machine?

PSC, Apr 28, 2006
  3. RichardC

Richo

An issue with some answering machines is that after they have answered the CBTI then detects they have answered and itself picks up the line to see if the caller enters the magic access code. The answering machine having detected the line being picked up thinks it is someone in the house on another extension and therefore hangs up. This isn't a fault with either peice of equipment, but just a painfull consequence.

There are 3 solutions:

A) Disable the hangup feature of the Answering machine (may not be possible)

B) Buy a different answering machine that doesn't do this.

C) Turn off access code detection in the CBTI so it doesn't pickup the line.

I assume ofcourse that you have set the CBTI to not answer the line as this will compete with the answering machine as well. (check both home and away mode settings).

Sorry I can't be more specific on the name of the options as I don't have a copy of Tica handy to check.

Richo, Apr 28, 2006
  4. RichardC

PSC

Richo,

When is Clipsal addressing this problem? We have been promised a fix for 18 months now. :mad: :mad: :mad:

PSC, Jul 11, 2006
  5. RichardC

Richo

There are no current plans to change the behaviour as described above. There were no promises I'm aware of to implement a change in the ring detection method of the CBTI. We would like to change it and have investigated what is required and the task is significant. For this reason it is not current schedulled in the development plans to the best of my knowledge.

The Option C I meantioned above was specifically added to accomodate people using Answering Machines that hangup on line pickup detection.

Richo, Jul 12, 2006
  6. RichardC

PSC

What's the point of having a CBTI if you turn off the access code detection? :confused:

PSC, Jul 12, 2006
  7. RichardC

Richo

It can still be used for notifications, Caller ID on C-Bus, C-Bus control of diversion, audio accouncements and Doorbell.

As I said we would like to extend the behaviour. I'm just being honest about the plans as I understand them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2006
    Richo, Jul 12, 2006
  8. RichardC

Caroline Springs

Two days ago, I bought a wireless telephone system with one central station and four extensions, including a digital answering machine at a great price. I thought I was really lucky with this phone system.... until it found the CBTI.

Same problem as per reported by PSC, the CBTI grab the phone line and the answering machine drops the message. I understand your frustration, particularly when you pay $900 for this unit.

I don't understand your point Clipsal gurus to disable the access code feature, cause that is exactly the feature I bought the CBTI for.

CS.

Caroline Springs, Jul 28, 2006
  9. RichardC

PSC

Dear CIS,

Please fix the compatibility issues that the CBTI has with 'STANDARD', brand name answering machines.

You have a product that does not work as advertised. Either fix it or withdraw it from the market.

This known problem has been outstanding for far too long.

PSC, Jul 28, 2006
  10. RichardC

Charlie Crackle

Can the CBTI listen in with out actually going off hook ?? (so the answering machine does not detect it ??)

or is this an entire circuit redesign

Did the Minder Telephone interface suffer from this problem too ?

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Jul 28, 2006
  11. RichardC

Richo

The cbti can not listen in without going off hook. The Minder could listen in without going off hook.

To make the CBTI capable of listening in at best requires rewriting large chunks of 3rd party assembler code used in the modem. At worse it requires changing to a different modem chip and the huge amount of work that a fundamental change like that would cause.

Richo, Jul 28, 2006
  12. RichardC

Richo

The point is that if you want to use a cbti as it currently stands you need to work within in current operational behaviour. That means dealing with the fact that when access codes are enabled that it will take the line off hook during incoming calls.

I'm not saying this is right or wrong just stating the facts on how it works.

Richo, Jul 28, 2006
  13. RichardC

Richo

The work required is significant and as such can only be initiated by the product managers who don't spend much time on this forum.

Certainly we let them know of issues we are aware of, but they listen to customers more than they listen to use (which is probably a good thing).

If you really want to change the current behaviour of the CBTI I recommend that you contact your local CIS Sales representative and explain to him the problem, the way it affects you and the impact it has on your decisions to purchase the product in the future or perhaps purchase other products made by CIS.

This will have the greatest chance to get the necessary "buy in" by the people in authority to approve a change of this size.

Richo, Jul 28, 2006
  14. RichardC

PSC

Richo,

I have requested that the CBTI's answering mode be changed from a 'Listening In' arrangement to a 'Ring once, hang-up & ring back within 1 minute' answering mode.

Has this method been implemented? If not; has it been considered and when will it be available?

It's quite clear the current configuration does not work.

PSC, Aug 10, 2006
  15. RichardC

Richo

Richo, Aug 11, 2006
  16. RichardC

ashleigh Moderator

Engineering will generally look at MINOR issues raised here. Issues that require a significant committment must have the approval of product management before engineering can do any work on them. This change is significant, and hence product management needs to review the request.

Please contact your CIS sales office and request that this be sent to the relevant product manager. It will then be prioritised.

ashleigh, Aug 11, 2006
  17. RichardC

Charlie Crackle

I did this and the responce was "Did not know it was a problem"

How about someone posts the product manangers email address and we all send him a message !

Charlie Crackle, Aug 11, 2006
  18. RichardC

PSC

Ashleigh

Just deal with it Ashleigh!

Even tech support are un-aware of the problem.

Attn: Ron G & Cliff S - Please read this thread and fix the problem.

There you go Ashleigh, forward this thread to the above mentioned people - they are the ones that make the decisions for this kind of stuff - not the CIS sales office.

PSC, Aug 11, 2006
  19. RichardC

PSC

2 years on

Is 6316 the year it will be ready?

Suggested at the SI Conference in June 2005, logged in November 2005???

I discovered the problem in September 2004 - nearly 2 years on and still no resolution???

How long do we have to wait?

My customer is that feed up she wants it ripped out and replaced with iControl.

PSC, Aug 11, 2006
  20. RichardC

Darpa

Considering this is the only thread I've seen Peter even remotely angry in, I think he really does mean it, lol :)

Darpa, Aug 11, 2006
Ask a Question