Another dead Wiser 2

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by pgordon, Mar 31, 2020.

1. pgordon

pgordon

seems to be quite a few of these dead wiser posts, but thus far I haven't seen a definitive answer to the issue...

Like others, my Wiser 2 has recently just stopped working. It has power, the power light is green. the MRA light is orange, all other lights are off.

I have replaced the battery with a brand new one, I have tried to reset via the reset button.

No link or activity lights are lit on the LAN port, I have tried different cable, different port on the router, even direct connection to my laptop. At no point is there any sign of life on the LAN port. It does not show up on my routers connection table.

I've also plugged in a monitor to the HDMI port whilst performing all of the above, at no point is there any disaply whatsoever.

Apart from the power & MRA lights, it appears in all other regards to be a brick. I'm perform these diagnostics at my desk where I do not have a hwany CBUS connection, so it's not connected to the CBUS network... - that shouldn't make a difference should it?

This is exactly the same symptoms as a number of others have described. Is there a general problem with these units? I haven't seen, thus far - any of the other posts I refer to above indicate whether they were able to recover to a functioning unit.

So, has ANYONE been in this situation and managed to recover to a working unit?

Clipsal, can you comment on what's going on with all these apparently dead wiser units? - or better still, perhaps a solution... :)

TIA

Paul G.

pgordon, Mar 31, 2020
  2. pgordon

Carrera

In the same boat here!!
    I contacted clipsal support through the uk who put me over to advanced support. They confirmed symptoms point toward a corrupted sd card. They can repair (for a fee), ie put in a new sd card, if I send the unit back to Australia, which is not really feasible in my eyes from uk. I suggested they send me a new sd card which I can put into the unit (and I’m willing to pay) but their response was the sd card is integrated with the unit so they can’t.
    Sd card is easy to removed, many her have done it including me. I’ve tried flashing the card with the firmware image in piced, but it did not boot the Wiser 2. Back to square one.
    Really need to try an image from a working wiser 2 to see if this route is feasible.
    Anyone have an image from a working wiser sd card that I can try? Please?

Carrera, Sep 2, 2021
  3. pgordon

MichaelD

I have a working Wiser2, what would I have to do to get you an image from it?

MichaelD, Oct 21, 2021
  4. pgordon

Carrera

You would have to open the unit up and remove the sd card and clone the image of sd card to a pc. To do this free software is available online to copy “iso” images. Please don’t do it if you are unsure. Thx for your reply

Carrera, Nov 4, 2021
  5. pgordon

MHeaton

Guys, mine failed - sent it back to Australia, paid a fee, and got it back working shortly thereafter. Only issue was sitting in Heathrow for a week due to the courier I had picked for the outbound journey...

Now just to wish they could get HTML5 working..... and bridge some of the other gaps I see around things like climate control 100% possible via logic

MHeaton, Nov 8, 2021
  6. pgordon

MichaelD

OK, I have some time to do this, is it better to copy the SD onto another card, or just get the clone image and email that to you?

MichaelD, Jan 9, 2022
  7. pgordon

fakbacardi

Hello everyone! I have the same problem, I am from Argentina and hera we havo not Support for this issue. Can you tell me if someone has a solution for this problem? My house is down because of this problem.

fakbacardi, Sep 2, 2022
  8. pgordon

MichaelD

My Wiser2 is still running successfully, but I’m out of the country just now, will try to get some SD cards done in a couple of weeks. I wonder why Clipsal feels they need to install the SD card themselves?

MichaelD, Sep 2, 2022
  9. pgordon

fakbacardi

MichaelD can you mail me a .iso that is ok to do this solution. I have my Wiser2 out of service for 5 months. I am in Argentina and here it isn't a support.... Please Help me! I need this and I dont have any person with this product.
    Can I use a .iso from the toolkit? Please send me a .iso that has no problem..Can you do it for me?

fakbacardi, Oct 13, 2022
  10. pgordon

Colin Moderator

That would be because Clipsal are not Fixing the SD card, you should note that Wiser 2 Does not run an Operating system from the SD Card, Only things that are on the SD Card are the projects and storage as part of the project. Thus an ISO of the SD Card would only address a problem if the SD Card is corrupted in some way, Such as if the SD card was corrupted due to power interruption, while being written to that resulted in the SD card being set to read only, But this sort of issue would usually not stop a Wiser II unit from booting up, just stops you from saving project changes or loading new projects, or loading new firmware.

IF Clipsal is repairing a Failed Wiser 2, they might indeed provide a new SD card as part of the process but that is not what is being repaired.

Colin, Nov 1, 2022
    maximini likes this.
  11. pgordon

MichaelD

Where is the SD card? I have an empty SD card on the front of mine, but when I look inside the Wiser, I can't see anything that I'd recognise as a SD card

MichaelD, Jan 30, 2023
  12. pgordon

fakbacardi

Hello Again! nobody resolved the issue?
    I have my wiser 2 in normal functions until it tilds an only the power anda MRA led in yellow remains...
    After some power off and power on it Starts with normal function for some days and agin IT TILDS.
    I do not know what to do...someone can helps us from Clipsal? or from here?

fakbacardi, Mar 23, 2023
  13. pgordon

Thinh

Thinh, Jun 21, 2023
  14. pgordon

Thinh

làm thế nào để bạn sửa lỗi này?
    làm thế nào để bạn sửa lỗi này?

Thinh, Jun 21, 2023
  15. pgordon

Joe C

My observations when looking at a wiser 2 that won’t boot.

You’re right in that the SD card does not contain an operating system. The SD card does contain a configuration file that stores the IP address and gateway.

on the one that I’m am having issues with I noticed the configuration file downed interface eth0. Fixing that didn’t fix the wiser. Be curious to compare the contents of a working unit. The passwords are hashed in the password file.

there was a user that suggested loading the iso would fix the issue.

The cbus documentation does mention putting an upgrade iso on fat32 usb stick in front panel will also update the firmware.

it appears the one I have is bricked completely because it doesn’t attempt to read the usb or SD card at front.

regards

Joe

Joe C, Dec 9, 2023
Ask a Question