All off for switch group query????

Discussion in 'C-Bus Toolkit and C-Gate Software' started by goodrias, Oct 25, 2012.

1. goodrias

goodrias

I am new to clipsal cbus and I am likely asking a very simple question. I have a customer that has an existing system and he wants his Saturn awitches(4&6) to have one off button for all of the lights at once . And would it work with dimming on the other switches ??.
    If its possible I would appreciate assistance in how to programme it in the toolbox software ???

Tony

goodrias, Oct 25, 2012
  2. goodrias

NickD Moderator

You do this using a scene.

Just create a scene that sets all the groups to off.

Depending on how many groups you need to turn off, you may need to distribute this scene across multiple units.

In Toolkit, open the GUI for the unit you want to set the scene from.

Select the "Function" for one key to "Scene", then click the button that appears to the right of that.

Assign a Trigger Group (TG) and an Action Selector (AS)... these are the values that uniquely identify that scene. While you're at it.. assign names to the TG and AS.. For an All Off, the TG should probably be called something like "All", since it affects everything and the AS should be "All Off", since that what the scene does (for example.. you might have another scene on the same TG which was an All On, in which case you would call the AS "All On").

Click the "Edit Scenes..." button.

Add all the groups you want to turn off to the scene, and set the levels to 0 (Off).

If there are more than will fit, you will need to repeat this in another unit (or units, depending on size), assigning the same TG and AS to that unit. This way, when you trigger the scene from one unit, it will also trigger the rest of the scene in the other(s). Ideally, larger scenes should be stored in a touchscreen or Wiser or PAC, and just triggered by the key unit, but if you don't have one of those other devices, then you have to make do with the key units.

Let us know how you go.

Nick

NickD, Oct 26, 2012
  3. goodrias

factotum

Thanks for that solution.

I currently need to do something similar.

I need to do an all off over serveral dimmer / relay units. They are arranged in areas - I'd normally just do an off to an area but in this case I need to leave a small number of channels on (service lighting).

I did want a slight clarification on the Trigger Group / Action Selector options.

In my case the some keys (on the input unit) already have scenes applied.

Given a Trigger Group applies to all scenes on a Keypad and the fact I need to have an Action Selector applied to each Scene should I create a dummy "blank" Action Selector and apply it to all the other scenes and apply the "all off" AS to the key I wish to use as the off?

Cheers!

factotum, Nov 10, 2012
  4. goodrias

NickD Moderator

Short answer :

No. Each scene needs its own unique action selector.

Longer answer :

The naming of the Trigger Group is really just a "niceness" thing. If you can give it meaningful name, great, but if you need to have some local scenes as well as an All Off scene in one key unit, and that means you have to use the same trigger group, it's not the end of the world.

The concept of separating Trigger Groups really only affects indicator behaviour...

Within one TG, only one scene can ever be "active" at one time. All this means though is that if for example you've set Scene1 from your key unit (at which point the scene key indicator for that scene will be lit), and you then trigger the All Off scene which happens to be on the same TG, then Scene1's indicator will no longer be lit (even if none of the groups in that scene have actually changed as a result of the All Off scene).

There is a good thread on scenes here.. if you haven't already done so.. read it.

Nick

NickD, Nov 13, 2012
Ask a Question