Wisers dead

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by djaggar, Jul 20, 2009.

1. djaggar

djaggar

Hi,

I've managed to kill 2 Wisers, same symptoms, I have no idea what I am doing wrong.

I only want the Wiser as a LAN device, nothing plugged into the WAN

When I first plug it in, it starts as ip 192.168.2.1 & 192.168.2.2. I change both ip addresses, the first through the web interface to 192.168.0.250, and the CNI with the cbus ip utility to 192.168.0.249. All good so far. CNI side is all good and I can use Toolkit to upload my network.

Then I connect 192.168.0.250 with PICED 4.6.1 & CGate 2.7.1 & start a new Wiser project, with just a single location. It uploads Wiser firmware 1.9 to the Wiser and says wait 90 seconds for a reboot.

After my 90 seconds I can't connect to the Wiser, after the Authenicating Socket screen it says its unable to connect.

Now I'm guessing that this is because I don't check the Use Wiser as a LAN device checkbox in my new project - the reason for that is if I check that box, I can't enter anything in the ip address fields below, and I can't exit the project wizard until those fields have data ... bug?

So, I think hold the reset button in on the wiser ... and when it resets back to 192.168.2.1, I reconnect with a browser, it sits in a loop saying Processing Node:filelist ... forever (well for an hour anyway)

In desparation I plug the WAN in to my network and watched the DHCP server log and got the WAN side IP addess (192.168.0.138), logging into port 8080 on that side gives the same error.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there a way to reset out of this?

Thanks,
    Dave

djaggar, Jul 20, 2009
  2. djaggar

kjayakumar

I think there is quite a bit of stuff going on. The first issue is that reseting your wiser only resets the router configuration. It does not reset your Wiser project configuration. So you will connect to it on 192.168.2.1 but the Wiser backend will be trying to connect to a CNI on the address configured in the project and the UI will likely be stuck thinking it is connecting to the Wiser remotely. The other setup information you posted looked okay at a glance but given the multiple devices and multiple configuration paramaters, there's a lot of detail that you'll want to check. I had written up the following post and hope it can be useful again.

I find in my usage of Wiser, that I benefit when I write down the configuration parameters for all the things that are involved. This helps me make sure that I've got everything configured correctly. I would recommend this as a standard practice for anyone trying to get a Wiser setup up and running. For example, I have 2 Wiser setups that I use. One is a Wiser running in a home using PPPOE on an ADSL modem line. Another is a Wiser running as a LAN device on a static IP within an office network with a SDSL router. Here are my settings:

a) ADSL setup for a home
    Mode
    Router parameters:
    External connection method: PPPOE
    Local IP address: 192.168.2.1
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP enabled
    DHCP range 192.168.2.100 - 150
    DDNS:
    username: myusername
    password: mypassword
    hostname: myhostname.dyndns.org

PICED-Wiser Project Parameters:
    Wiser IP: 192.168.2.1
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.2.2
    Wiser CNI Port: 10001
    Use NTP
    Enable Toolkit: No
    Enable Projector: Yes
    Enable Project Update: No

With this configuration, I can then access and control this home Wiser from inside that network and also internet connected networks. When I want to allow external toolkit or project upload, then I use the web UI to enable that and then disable after that task is completed.

b) Office setup
    Settings on a 3rd party Router/Firewall at 192.168.100.1:
    port forward external IP:TCP ports 8080,8888,8889,8336,8337,10001 to Wiser IP (192.168.100.100). Note that external port 8080 is forwarded to Wiser IP port 80 because we are using it in LAN mode.

Wiser Router parameters (setup as a LAN device):
    External connection method: DHCP (nothing plugged into Wiser's WAN/Internet port)
    Local IP address: 192.168.100.100
    DHCP disabled (so that it does not conflict with my office router's DHCP settings)
    DDNS: (will not work in this mode so must use the 3rd party router)

PICED-Wiser Project Parameters:
    Wiser IP: 192.168.100.100
    Wiser CNI IP: 192.168.100.101
    Wiser CNI Port: 10001
    Use NTP
    Enable Toolkit: No
    Enable Projector: Yes
    Enable Project Update: No
    Allow Access From Wiser LAN ports <- this makes it a LAN device
    Gateway: 192.168.100.1
    DNS: 192.168.100.1

With this configuration, I can then access and control this office Wiser the same way I can for the home Wiser.

In my experience, writing all of these things down (since there are a lot of them and any conflicting information causes failures) helps identify any configuration problems very quickly.

Hope that helps,
    jaya

kjayakumar, Jul 20, 2009
  3. djaggar

djaggar

Thanks for your reply Jaya, but I'm still confused what I'm actually doing wrong ... in PICED 4.6.1 there seems to be no way to set the LAN side IP addresses ... so I'm doomed as soon as I download a project to the Wiser. Resetting the router sets it back to 192.168.2.1, and if I change the IP address back to 192.168.0.250 it still sits in the same loop (and the CNI is still set to 192.168.0.249) ...

You indicate that you select "Allow Access From Wiser LAN ports" but I just can't do that and enter the required IP addresses ... it looks like a PICED bug to me ... what am I missing?

Thanks,
    Dave

djaggar, Jul 20, 2009
  4. djaggar

kjayakumar

I'm able to select that checkbox and then enter the IP addresses without any problem on my setup, also with PICED 4.6.1. But you're right that there was a mention of this uneditable IP fields behavior in a post here by wappinghigh:

http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=26239&postcount=12

But it looks like that solution was trial and error. I guess I would try reopening or enabling/disabling the checkbox again. It should definitely allow you to provide those IP addresses, and you're right that the setup won't work without those values entered correctly.

kjayakumar, Jul 20, 2009
  5. djaggar

djaggar

That's a solution to being able to enter those values, but it's not a solution to the Wiser Web Interface spinning endlessly in the Processing Node:filelist ...

Can PICED be used to downgrade the Firmware (from 1.9 to 1.8), as that is the only thing I can think of doing to get these units going again ...

djaggar, Jul 22, 2009
  6. djaggar

kjayakumar

I'm not entirely sure why the Wiser web UI would do that, my suspicion is that it is getting hung up because it thinks you are remote (since your actual IP is 192.168.2.x while its configuration says something else). I'd recommend sticking with 1.9 as it is not a firmware problem and just checking that your config is correct.

kjayakumar, Jul 22, 2009
  7. djaggar

djaggar

I had set the IP address back to 192.168.0.250 for the Wiser & 192.168.0.249 for the CNI.

But, I have found the solution. The problem was my project was too empty - I had made one location, and one function group, but not selected any widgets yet (mainly because I'd created the CBUS project by uploading it through the CNI to check that worked, which of course did not then contain any group names, so I did not know what to assign where). When I assigned a widget, the GUI proceeds past the Processing Node: Filelist (which is not the most helpful of status messages)

So, in summary, the IP address fields for the LAN not being selected in a new project is a real bug (happens for me repeatedly on 2 machines), and that causes you not to be able to access the Wiser from the LAN side if you upload that project (so don't, just save it and re-open it, and then edit the fields).

And new PICED Wiser projects must contain one widget or they hang, with the Processing Node:Filelist message.

Hope this helps someone not scratch their head all day :)

djaggar, Jul 23, 2009
Ask a Question