Wiser with Web Server one the network?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by poldim, Jul 31, 2012.

1. poldim

poldim

My LAN has a server that's running on port 80. And it seems like transferring from port 30000 to my wiser unit does not give me access outside of the LAN. Currently if I go to <internal ip>:30000 I can see the interface but if I go outside of the network and go to <external ip>:30000 it doesnt work.

?

poldim, Jul 31, 2012
  2. poldim

kjayakumar

Sorry, I couldn't understand the description above. I'm not sure what is meant by "transferring from port 30000". Are you referring to Wiser project transfer? Ah, perhaps you mean you want port-forwarding of external ip (wiser as a router) port 30000 to internal ip (server ip) port 80? If so, then that's not feasible with the current Wiser firmware as it only offers port-mapping (external port = internal port).

kjayakumar, Aug 1, 2012
  3. poldim

poldim

I have an internal web server that runs on port 80. I am using port forwarding on my main router and forwarding the necessary ports to my Wiser router. Considering I cannot forward port 80 from my external ip to the wiser as this goes to the web server, I am forwarding port 30000 to 80 and all others as they normally would. Im not using the wiser for anything other than its connection to the CNI.

But still having the problem mentioned above.

poldim, Aug 1, 2012
  4. poldim

kjayakumar

Sorry Poldim. But I'm still not clear on the problem you are describing. The key parts I see from your message are:
    - "if I go outside of the network and go to <external ip>:30000 it doesnt work."
    - "I am forwarding port 30000 to 80 and all others as they normally would"

I think what you are doing is:
    - wiser as a lan device
    - router upstream with port forwards of 30000 to wiser:80 and 8888, 8889, 8336, 8337, to same ports on wiser
    - attempting to connect from outside of your network to externalip:30000 which is then forwarded to wiser 80 using web browser with Adobe Flash

Is my understanding correct? If so, then as long as you have forwarded those ports correctly on your router, then it will work. If it does not, what I would do is to use wireshark to capture the traffic so that we can see what is happening on the network. You can capture on the PC side so that you can see what is happening with the web browser requests. If you can capture on your LAN side using a hub, then you will be able to see whether your router is forwarding all the ports correctly to the Wiser.

kjayakumar, Aug 3, 2012
  5. poldim

NickD Moderator

Is it possible your ISP is blocking port 30000?

This is known to happen with some ISPs in Australia, but not sure whether it's common practice in the US.

Nick

NickD, Aug 3, 2012
  6. poldim

poldim

Nailed it. I'm currently on vacation so somewhat limited with a slow connection.

NickD - I've now tried a few different ports and even disabled the port 80 forward to my server and was not able to hit it. However, when I disabled it from my server, the server page did not show up and errored out, and once enabled, it worked again.

Attached Files:

• fwd.png
      fwd.png
      File size:
      30.7 KB
      Views:
    poldim, Aug 4, 2012
Ask a Question