Wiser remote management blocked

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by chk, Mar 19, 2011.

1. chk

chk

I have the Wiser router behind an airport extreme router so the setup is as Option B.

I have the ports forwarded correctly but the Wiser keeps blocking the connection. I can confirm this when I type in the port and my url into www.canyouseeme.org. it tells me connection refused.

Also checked port 8889 is blocked but port 8888 is open.

SOLUTION

In Option B, you do not forward your WAN IP to the remote management port of your Wiser ie.8080.

You forward your WAN IP to port 80 of your Wiser LAN IP.

There is no need to use both WAN and LAN port.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
    chk, Mar 19, 2011
  2. chk

Newman

The Wiser won't be blocking the connection. There are no firewall settings that need to be configured in the Wiser. It is most likely that the port forwarding rules in your Airport Extreme are not correct. I assume your Airport Extreme is your edge router?

On page 40 of the Wiser_Home_Controller_Installation_Instructions there is a table showing the necessary ports that need to be allowed to pass through your firewall. Have you configured these settings in your Airport Extreme?

Newman, Mar 19, 2011
  3. chk

chk

If I forward port 80 to one of my computers for web server services; it works fine, but if I forward port 80 to the remote management port of the Wiser; it says connection refused when i test port 80 with a port checker website. I might have to setup some a fake WAN to see if its my ISP thats blocking then.

chk, Mar 22, 2011
  4. chk

oracle

most ISP have a small list of blocked ports that is on standard connections.

port 80 is generally one of them ports - they generally allow you to manually remove any port blocking that is present through your ISP details page.

also I have noticed some routers although they ask for a port range do not like open all the ports unless the first in the list is used.
    for example
    in port forwarding on your fruit extreme - in the rules do you have port 8888-8889 open in one rule?

if so just for a test create a separate rule per port number
    so you have 2 rules
    one for start 8888 and stop 8888
    and one for 8889 and stop 8889

then check on canyouseeme

oracle, Mar 22, 2011
  5. chk

chk

I found a solution to my problem.

I realized remote management on a router is meant only when it is accessed from its WAN port. BUT, option B is when the WAN port of the Wiser is NOT used; so thats why none of the port fowarding works.

While this is a silly LAN configuration, I now have the Wiser unit connected to my existing network via LAN and WAN port.

There must be a proper way to do this though with Option B???

chk, Mar 23, 2011
  6. chk

oracle

I think that comment is incorrect,

I have several installs where the wiser is connected as option 'b'
    and the client access them through their existing adsl gateway with port forwards etc.
    so the wiser is just a lan device and connections can be established.

in your first post you make comment on the ports 8888 and 8889 which are getting blocked - if your airport router is your gateway/modem to the www.
    that is the place where the ports would be getting blocked not at the wiser which has no rules or blocking functions on the LAN ports
    as the ip addresses on the LAN are WYSIWYG with no need for NAT

mmm now I think I just confused myself - time for another beer

oracle, Mar 24, 2011
  7. chk

Yoshi

Hi chk,

I think, your solution is the only thing of option B.
    WISER needs two connections both WAN and LAN to local network.
    Also WISER needs same IP address for WAN port and LAN device port.
    http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6479
    I think it does not follow network standard.
    When you update WISER by remote, This configuration may be made unusual.
    You can not fix this trouble by remote side.
    However, it is the only solution in option B.
    I recommend you don't update firmware and configuration by remote side.

Cheers,

Yoshi, Mar 28, 2011
  8. chk

oracle

are you sure you need two connections

you do need however to set up your wiser correctly in piced
    and ensure in option b that allow lan connections

'The Allow Access From Wiser LAN ports option allows for access to Wiser via the LAN side. Normally the Wiser Home Control is accessed remotely via the WAN connection of the Wiser Home Control. There are some circumstances where it may be necessary to access it remotely from one of the LAN ports. In this case, select Allow Access From Wiser LAN ports and enter the Gateway Address and one or more Domain Name Server (DNS) IP addresses.'

quoted from the software.

and then back on topic the post was about remote connections and ports getting blocked, in whih case you do not need two cables from the edge router. as shown in your diagram from the link to the other thread.

oracle, Mar 29, 2011
  9. chk

chk

Oracle I did some thinking and realized it was just a simple matter of forwarding the WAN IP to port 80 of the Wiser instead of port 8080 of the Wiser because the WAN port shouldn't need to be used.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
    chk, Mar 30, 2011
Ask a Question