Wiser & Piced 4.9, What the?

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by Brad Collinder, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Brad Collinder

Brad Collinder

A couple a problems I have found, anyone else having similar:
    1. since upgrading to 4.9 Piced and firmware 1.20 my project no longer wants to connect to C-bus.
    2. Re-load old Firmware 1.17 and project connects to C-bus straight away!
    3. Piced 4.9 prompts you to the latest firmware (1.20 which does not work) when you try to transfer a project, and not selecting this function, Piced then does not allow you to transfer current project!! (from the release notes this function was only meant for the C-Touch)
    4. ie: when I go to transfer current project (which is ticked), the next window is to select local connection, but the Transfer Project to Wiser functions are greyed out!!.
    5. Trying to upload an existing project with new scenes but can't do it, either because of problems with firmware 1.20, or not being able to select current project.
    Any feedback greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Brad

Brad Collinder, Jul 30, 2010
  2. Brad Collinder

kjayakumar

Hi Brad,

PICED 4.9 enforces the requirement that the firmware on the Wiser be 1.20.0. The transfer client is detecting that the Wiser has older firmware (1.17.0) and thus requires you to upgrade first. After the firmware upgrade is complete, you then have to _also_ update the project by then asking PICED to do the project transfer (That's a bit un-intuitive because ideally you'd have wanted to do a firmware upgrade and a project update together). If the project update was not done, then what has happened is that you'd have firmware 1.20.0 on the Wiser with a project from the older PICED which would only be compatible with firmware 1.17.0, and that would be consistent with the observation you made of the Wiser being unable to connect.

kjayakumar, Jul 30, 2010
  3. Brad Collinder

Darren Senior Member

Once you have updated Wiser to version 1.20, you will be able to do a transfer of firmware and project at the same time for future updates. This feature is supported in V1.20 but not in older versions.

Darren, Jul 30, 2010
  4. Brad Collinder

Brad Collinder

Wiser and Piced 4.9

Update:
    Site 1: using Piced 4.9 with a project created in 4.8.4, transfer current project. You have to upgrade firmware to 1.20 (BUT untick the box asking to close transfer utility!) when firmware has been upgraded the current project will then appear in the appropriate field ready to be transferred.
    Site 2: this was all a bit confusing yesterday and so I will return to the site today to repeat the process mentioned above.
    Thanks for the feed back guys, I will post again today with results.
    regards
    Brad

Brad Collinder, Jul 31, 2010
  5. Brad Collinder

Brad Collinder

Site 2: unsuccessfull when using firmware 1.20. will not connect to c-bus, reload with firmware 1.17 and connects straight away. Is there something else I might be missing. Project is saved with Piced 4.9 Failed with firmware 1.20, passed with firmware 1.17.
    Regards
    Brad :confused:

6. Brad Collinder

wanricky

How about using toolkit, is the connection ok? Many years ago I remembered that I failed to do anything with my PICED after an update because I had never back up the project using the upgraded toolkit...may not be in this case but it is good to check the connect with toolkit first.

wanricky, Jul 31, 2010
  7. Brad Collinder

Darren Senior Member

Click and hold on the connection status icon in the top right corner of the Wiser user interface. It should show you a list of four things:
    • Attempted reconnects
    • Keep alive signals
    • Watchdog counter
    • Successful connections

Below that it will show "good" if all is OK.

Can you provides us with the details for your site?

Darren, Jul 31, 2010
  8. Brad Collinder

Brad Collinder

Will have access to the site again on Monday, I will check the settings then and advise
    Regards
    Brad

9. Brad Collinder

Brad Collinder

Will have access to the site on Sunday late afternoon and I wish to confirm that the following steps is what you are recommending:
    1. Upgrade (via Piced) firmware only from 1.17 to 1.20
    2. Next transfer project as well as Firmware again to 1.20.
    If this is correct please let me know. I am thinking that in step 2 I did not transfer the firmware for the 2nd time. Is this what the problem might be?
    Regards
    Brad:rolleyes:

10. Brad Collinder

kjayakumar

Hi Brad,

Almost there. Step 1, allow PICED (transfer client) to upgrade the Wiser's firmware to 1.20. Then after it has upgraded, Step 2 is use PICED (transfer client) to transfer the project to the unit. Note, you don't need to upgrade the firmware again in step 2 and the transfer client also won't request that a firmware upgrade be done.

One other possible issue, there is a bug with Wiser's 1.20 firmware where project's that had names less than 4 characters long caused a problem during project transfers. To avoid that, one can use PICED's Save As and give it a longer name to ensure that it goes through fine.

kjayakumar, Jul 31, 2010
  11. Brad Collinder

Brad Collinder

Okay, I have tried the following at site 2 with no success:
    Update firmware to 1.20, then transfer project, project does not get loaded onto Wiser, I have done this wirelessly and wired direct into the Wiser. The red circle with C-bus shows that reconnect attempts keep cycling over and over. The earth symbol plug is orange.
    If I drop back to firmware 1.17 then everything works fine.
    I have re-downloaded the software again and installed, I have copied the firmware 1.20 from site 1 and copied it into site 2 all with no luck.
    I really think that there is something in my project that is conflicting with the firmware, however the project is fairly straight foward. I do believe tha any changes that I make to the project in Piced 4.9 (1.17) are not being transferred to the Wiser, ie: make changes to a scene, these changes are not firing.
    If Clipsal would like a copy of the project or if they need details to log into remotely, please list exactly what you need. I have exhausted all avenues from my end, (even with the integrator,)
    Regards
    Brad

Brad Collinder, Aug 2, 2010
  12. Brad Collinder

kjayakumar

I think the best way would be to pass the project to customer support and they'll get it to the Wiser team. If you like you can also PM it to me or attach it to a post here and I'll try it out.

kjayakumar, Aug 4, 2010
  13. Brad Collinder

Brad Collinder

Clipsal now have the project fowarded onto them via my point 1. We have all tried numerous wisers with no luck. Clipsal have said they will foward project to engineering. This confirms that it is not a hardware issue, but a programming / software issue. (I certainly hope it is nothing stupidon my behalf) but numerous people more qualified than me are also stumped as the project is not that involved. Will wait to see the outcome.
    Regards
    Brad :)

Brad Collinder, Aug 5, 2010
  14. Brad Collinder

Brad Collinder

Update:
    Faulty scene!!!!!!!!!!!
    Deleted all scenes from wiser and transferred project without a hitch.
    I will now re-write scenes and upload one at a time. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks everyone for their input.
    Regards
    Brad :D

Brad Collinder, Aug 21, 2010
Ask a Question