Wiser not connecting after ip change

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by soundwaveslakeland, Sep 21, 2010.

1. soundwaveslakeland

soundwaveslakeland

spent 3-4 hours with tech support today trying to figure this out.

wiser reset to defaults, ethernet cable from laptop to wiser LAN port,connects just fine and im able to see the lighting options.

change the IP from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.1.1.......NO OTHER CHANGES....just changing the 2 to a 1........pull up the CMD prompt and check the ip, laptop is now on the 192.168.1.1 gateway. try to connect to the wiser and the main menu pops up, but i get a message that says "unable to connect the the wiser" with a stop sign and a hand.......if i go to "192.168.1.1/SetupDHCP.htm" im able to log into the router menu.

so pretty much im connecting to the wiser.....its there somewhere, but i get this damn message.......

soundwaveslakeland, Sep 21, 2010
  2. soundwaveslakeland

NickD Moderator

Have you updated the project in the Wiser? I think it needs to know the IP address (you will probably also need to change the the IP address of the CNI since it's now on a different subnet). These settings are in the Project Options (Project -> Details, Wiser/Properties tab).

Nick

NickD, Sep 21, 2010
  3. soundwaveslakeland

soundwaveslakeland

this is my first project ...... i did use the ip utility to and found the wiser, and i did change the gate way to 192.168.1.1 and i do believe i changed the CNI IP to offset the router by 1 digit.

as far as changing it with piced, i do not beleive i did other than where you transfer the project and it asks for the IP address. im not even sure where else there is another field for the IP address.

i have a verizon router doing all the work, and i need the wiser to just be a switch on the nework. so i made the IP of the wiser 192.168.1.200, i made the CNI 192.168.1.221.....

im able to see the "unable to connect" screen when it is set up like this.

soundwaveslakeland, Sep 21, 2010
  4. soundwaveslakeland

NickD Moderator

The project you create in PICED needs to have the correct IP addreses for the Wiser and the CNI. This is set from the Project -> Details menu on the Wiser/Properties tab.

Also, if you want the Wiser to operate as a LAN device, you need to enable this option and fill in the gateway IP on the same Project -> Details menu, on the Wiser/LAN tab.

Nick

NickD, Sep 22, 2010
  5. soundwaveslakeland

conor1

Same thing Happening

Hi i have have just been having the same problem ,have had wiser working for about 4 weeks now ,have added 1 no wap at onset of job and all was working fine added in an additional wap today and i can not connect to wiser socket i get the unable to connect to wiser screen ,i have disconnected both waps (which both of them i can go online with )and have connected straight into wiser ,i can connect through cni of wiser for programming and can connect to wiser router on 192.168.2.1 which is the same ip setting as within piced but dont seem to know were to go next :confused::confused:

thanks in advance

conor1, Jan 28, 2011
  6. soundwaveslakeland

conor1

i have loaded another wiser project from another house we have completed and it worked all being wrong widgets but it connected in simulation and controlled the outputs hope the may shed some light on it hav checked setting in the 2 programs and they both seem the same ?

conor1, Jan 28, 2011
  7. soundwaveslakeland

infin8

Cni

I had the same issues as you.
    When I set mine up that I had to connect manually to the CNI via an ethernet cable and not whilst plugged into the LAN ports on the wiser for it to change using the IP Tool.

You are correct that if you change to the 192.168.1.x subnet you cant bring up 192.168.1.1 and have the wiser working without updating the IP address in PICED.

Open PICED and then create a new project and goto the wiser TAB and update the IP address in there then transfer the project.

Hope that helps :)

infin8, Jan 29, 2011
  8. soundwaveslakeland

conor1

thanks

back on site this morning think you might be on to something think its something to do with the project ,i am in the process of writing new file ,also tried new wiser this morning just in case but exactly same out come .
    regards c

conor1, Jan 29, 2011
  9. soundwaveslakeland

conor1

Still no luck

i have everything back as it was when it was working as default is wiser ip address 192.168.2.1 project will transfer fine but when i try and connect through same ip address that i uploaded project with it will just not connect either in simulation or by entering ip into browser ,loaded another older project from different job and it all works i think i maybe be missing something here ?

any help most apreciated

hi i have a previous project all being the wrong job working fine on wiser but as soon as i load up new project it wont connect i have checked ip in project details and it is on same ip 192.168.2.1 and cni 192.168.2.2 but unable to connect .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2011
    conor1, Jan 29, 2011
  10. soundwaveslakeland

conor1

Also when I try and connect in the project details wizard under wiser properties tab I get error message "http://192.168.2.1" could not be run because "the specified file could not be found " don't know if this has any bearing .
    Regards Conor

conor1, Jan 29, 2011
  11. soundwaveslakeland

conor1

Result

back on site today rescanned network and remade wiser project leaving out cni of wiser in project seems to be ok ,dont know how old project has been corrupted but everything is exactly as it was without this and all loads up fine ?

will keep thread updated of any further findings as it just took up about 2 days to correct .

thanks conor

conor1, Feb 4, 2011
  12. soundwaveslakeland

hugoKMG

wiser ip change

I finished so far 8 projects and no big issues so fsr , but when i start changing the ip addresses, the fun started. the firts two no problems with the same settings. Now i got a heck of the time with 2 wiser.
    changed ip and saved, disable wireless saved, allow internet acces 24 hours saved, as soon i disable DHCP stays fine and after 2 minutos goes out, I wont be able to conect any more, Or when i get coneccted it wont respond the c-bus.

I'm not a expert on computers but i undertand if you explained on a easy way,Thank you for your info.:D:D

hugoKMG, Mar 12, 2011
  13. soundwaveslakeland

kjayakumar

Just a quick check, when you're changing the IP on the Wiser, are you changing it only on the web UI, or are you also ensuring that your PICED project is consistent with the IP change. Further, is your CNI accessible to the Wiser after the IP change? Meaning, is the CNI IP on the same IP as your Wiser.

kjayakumar, Mar 13, 2011
  14. soundwaveslakeland

hugoKMG

ip issues

Let me see if I understood. I changed the wiser with the system utilities, and after reboot it goes back showing the box with the new IP and asking for name and password . Our IT guy gave me the addreses and I changed them so It doesn/t conflict with our company network.
    I didn't update or change IP on PICED, Does need to be done?.
    About CNI I don't nkow how to see if It's on the same IP as the wiser. should have same IP ?

thankyou .

hugoKMG, Mar 14, 2011
  15. soundwaveslakeland

kjayakumar

I don't know what system utility can change Wiser's IP address. The typical method is to change it on the web UI and then in the PICED project. Both are required, if not, then the project is out of sync with the Wiser's IP address. About the CNI, you use the C-Bus IP Setup utility to discover its IP address. Typically, it is given an IP address that is on the same subnet as your Wiser. Eg: Wiser on 192.168.100.1 and CNI on 192.168.100.2.

kjayakumar, Mar 14, 2011
  16. soundwaveslakeland

hugoKMG

IP issues

I want to appreciate all the info about the wiser, but I'm trying to read more about it so I don't stay lost and I will be able to understand more about configurations and settings of the wiser, I will get back soon.

thank you :)

hugoKMG, Mar 18, 2011
Ask a Question