Wiser Networking and Toolkit connection

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by Wire_Bug, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Wire_Bug

Wire_Bug

Hey guys -

Got a bit of a weird one that has me a bit stumped... First for the physical topology:

Customer has a router in place. Wiser is connected to a LAN side switch port on his home network to the WAN port on Wiser. Internal IP range is 192.168.32.x and is statically assigned correctly to the WAN port of Wiser. From his 'home' network, we can connect to Wiser on 8080, use the UI from any browser and/or any iOS device, and we can get to the Wiser setup pages no problem, and we can see and ping Wiser on the network with no problem.

Now the problem:

We CANNOT make a Toolkit connection from a PC on the 'home' network (just for clarification, if PC is on Wiser LAN, there is absolutely no problems with Toolkit connection).

CNI still resides on the Wiser LAN (internal 192.168.2.2). External to Internal port mapping was done on Wiser to forward 10001 to CNI. In one case, where we actually made a successful connection, we had the entire range of 10000 through 15000 forwarded to the CNI.

We have seen a Toolkit connection go through correctly 2 different times, but after disconnecting from the network, it stops working. Both times that it worked were immediately after re-booting the Wiser, but we have tried that many more times and it still doesn't go through in most cases.

We have tried multiple versions of Toolkit, and of course tried both network connection types of CNI, and Wiser (in fact, one of the times that we made a successful connection was with a network type of CNI).

Customer (forum member here) has stated that he would like to keep the Wiser segmented on his network to avoid any unnecessary network chatter from the CNI/Wiser, so he would prefer to not bring Wiser on as a LAN device on his 'home' network.

Any thoughts? TIA!

-John

Wire_Bug, Aug 13, 2012
  2. Wire_Bug

NickD Moderator

I'm not the Wiser expert, however something you have described doesn't sound right..

In order to use Wiser to connect Toolkit to the C-Bus you need to connect on the CNI's port number, but the connection is to the *Wiser* IP address... ie you don't forward the port to the CNI.

The Wiser sees the connection on port 10001 and knows that this is for a Toolkit connection, and maps the traffic on that port to the CNI itself. If you want to connect from outside your network, you would forward 10001 in your edge router to the Wiser.

Nick

NickD, Aug 14, 2012
  3. Wire_Bug

Barshack

Clarification

Hello all, I am the end user and wanted to help clarify the issue.
    (NickD, thanks for your reply, but I don't think it addresses our situation.)

I have a home LAN: 192.168.32.x
    I have a Wiser on my home LAN with the static IP address of: 192.168.32.230
    The Wiser is configured to provide DHCP addresses starting at 192.168.2.100
    The Wiser is assigned 192.168.2.1 on the "Wiser LAN" (I think the term is Double NAT)
    The CNI is physically part of the 3-piece Wiser unit and given the static IP if 192.168.2.2

I have a dedicated 2003 Windows XP PC that I keep for programming PICED and Toolkit.

If I connect the PC directly to the Wiser router, it is assigned 192.168.2.100
    When I launch Toolkit, I indicate that Wiser is at 192.168.2.1
    Everything works perfectly.

If I connect the PC to my home LAN, it is assigned 192.168.32.117
    When I launch Toolkit, I indicate that Wiser is at 192.168.32.230
    I get an error !!

From my home LAN, I can point my web browser to: 192.168.32.230:8080 and that works fine.
    My iPads point to 192.168.32.230 and work fine.
    I can also access the Wiser Router Configuration screens with no problem (http://192.168.32.230:8080/SetupDHCP.htm).
    The problem seems to be solely with Toolkit.

I hope this helps clarify the issue.
    TIA for any thoughts.

Barshack, Aug 14, 2012
  4. Wire_Bug

NickD Moderator

I still think if you have set up port forwarding *in the Wiser* to forward external connections on 10001 to the CNI, then it may be confusing the Wiser (which is trying to do the same automatically) when Toolkit is trying to access port 10001 from the WAN side.

The other thing to check (I'm not sure if this would also affect access from the LAN side) is that on the Wiser's Tools page (the one accessible though the Flash UI), that "Toolkit Remote Enable" (or something like that) is actually enabled (green).

Nick

NickD, Aug 14, 2012
  5. Wire_Bug

Barshack

Screen Shots

Hi Nick.

I am attaching various screen shots, as you can see I (tried to) make certain that the configuration conformed to your suggestions. If you have anything you want me to try, or other screen shots that you think might help you, please let me know.

Once again. If I connect this computer to the LAN port of the Wiser, it gets assigned a IP of 192.168.2.100. I point Toolkit to 192.168.1.1 and everything works fine.

I greatly appreciate your help.

Lenny

I am only allowed 5 attachments, so I combined the last two.

Attached Files:

• ss1.jpg
      ss1.jpg
      File size:
      175.8 KB
      Views:
    • ss2.jpg
      ss2.jpg
      File size:
      150.8 KB
      Views:
    • ss3.jpg
      ss3.jpg
      File size:
      103.2 KB
      Views:
    • ss4.jpg
      ss4.jpg
      File size:
      276.9 KB
      Views:
    • ss6.jpg
      ss6.jpg
      File size:
      61.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2012
    Barshack, Aug 14, 2012
  6. Wire_Bug

Wire_Bug

Thanks, Nick. And I should have clarified that we have tried connecting from Toolkit, both with and without having 10001 forwarded to the CNI. It was my understanding that since we were coming in the WAN port of the Wiser, that Wiser could not automatically forward any requests to the CNI because all Wiser knows is that it's being hit on its external side (I know it automatically forwards when it's on the LAN side, but I thought this was different being on the WAN side).

For all intents and purposes, Wiser has no idea what's on its external port - it doesn't know, or care for that matter, if it's the WWW, or some other NAT of another LAN - all it sees is some traffic come across on 10001, and needs to know what to do about it. In terms of setting up Wiser for remote access from the Internet, we would want to forward 10001 to the CNI, correct? - and so I'm not sure this is any different than that - it just seems that instead of this request on 10001 coming from the Internet, it's coming from another NAT of a LAN.

Hope that all makes sense!

Thanks again for your input - we're willing to try anything at this point!

Wire_Bug, Aug 14, 2012
  7. Wire_Bug

NickD Moderator

Not quite.. the way the Wiser handles toolkit connections is that you tell it (in the PICED project) what port the CNI is on.

AIUI, the Wiser then assumes any connection to it on this port number is for the CNI, so it does that port mapping automatically. The important things are
    a) that you are never making a connection directly to the CNI... the Wiser manages this, and
    b) you don't have to set up any port forwarding in the Wiser (but if you have another edge router, and you want to be able to connect from outside that, you obviously need to set up the forwarding in that, but you forward the CNI port number to the IP address of the Wiser

Regardless... this doesn't appear to be your problem, as it looks like you've tried it with and without that port forward, and you are using the address of the Wiser and not the CNI itself.

I notice you're using Parallels.. I use VMWare Fusion myself with no problems, but it's possible there's some other networking wierdness going on (although it looks like it's just a bridged connection). This isn't my area of expertise though.

I'll ask some of the other guys here for some ideas.

Nick

NickD, Aug 15, 2012
  8. Wire_Bug

Colin Moderator

Hi Wire Bug

Am a little concerned by the first part of you post about port forwarding the wiser for the CNI to work. Just to be clear. their is no need to use wiser Port forwarding functions for any of the remote/ WAN connections. these are all setup an enabled by simply enabling the function in the wiser FLASH UI tools page Under the remote access option.
    Looking at the screen grab in your post i see no port forwarding which is good.

SO can i propose the following steps be taken to see if your problem can be resolved

1.Ensure their are no port forwarding rules for ports 10001, 8080, 80, 8336,8337,8888,8889,9000,9001 in the wiser configuration tab under applications & gaming port forwarding, also nothing under port triggering as well.
    If you have anything for these ports configured please do steps 2 and 3 first and then remove them then continue with step 4.

2. Navigate to the Wiser Flash UI from a PC on the LAN side of wiser. and go to the tools/remote Access page. Note the state of the options may appear grey for up to 10 seconds before the true state will show. Wait for the indicator of each option to be either green or red before proceeding

3. If Enabled, then Disable the Projector Control option and wait for wiser to reboot.

4. Navigate to the Wiser Flash UI from a PC on the LAN side of wiser. and go to the tools/remote Access page and enable Projector Control option and wait for wiser to reboot.

5. Navigate to the Wiser Flash UI from a PC on the LAN side of wiser. and go to the tools/remote Access page and if Toolkit control option is enabled then disable it . Wait 60 seconds.

6. Navigate to the Wiser Flash UI from a PC on the LAN side of wiser. and go to the tools/remote Access page and if Toolkit control option is disabled then Enable it . Wait 60 seconds.

7. Using the PC on the WAN side of wiser you may first wish to try using telnet to connect to the cni. from command line on your PC enter telnet 192.168.32.230 10001 you should get a connection. to exit telnet press Ctrl+] and type quit

8. if telnet worked then try connecting with toolkit be sure to have quit telnet first.

I hope this resolves the issue

Colin, Aug 15, 2012
  9. Wire_Bug

Barshack

Resolved !!! (Wiser team please read).

Colin & Others,
    Toggling "Projector Control" and "Toolkit Control" solved the problem. I am very appreciative of your help.

Wiser team.
    We spent many many hours trying to toruble shoot this problem on our end. The solution is not obvious. I would respectfully suggest that is a major bug and shoudl be addressed in the next software upgrade.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped.

Lenny

Barshack, Aug 15, 2012
  10. Wire_Bug

Colin Moderator

Hi Lenny

We are sorry that you spent a lot of time on this. So perhaps its worth the effort that I explain a few of the operations of Wiser in this post that might help others in the future. I do not feel that the problem you had was a major bug, but rather simply a misunderstanding of the operation of Wiser. If after you read this post you feel I am wrong then please post your argument so we can improve.

First let me start by saying that all of this is made so much more complex as Wiser can be set up in 3 different modes.

A. as an Edge Router.
    B as Double NAT or a Router behind a Router.
    C as a LAN Device.

It is also possible to have the CNI used by Wiser on any port (by default it is 10001).

It is a requirement (I think you would all agree) that Wiser provides a simple interface that allows the User (not just the installer but the end user too) the option to easily prevent remote access to the following features:

1. The General User interface (that is the Flash Based UI, and remote connection of devices such as iPhone)
    2. The Ability to connect tools like Toolkit directly to C-Bus for the purpose of commissioning or monitoring the bus.
    3. The Ability to upload or download a project file.

It is easy to see that some people can confuse the CNI as a device that is located behind Wiser and thus assume that in order to use it for a Toolkit connection, a Port forward must be established. Let me lay that thought to rest.. You don't!.

You should consider the CNI being used by Wiser a physical or internal part of the Wiser. The Wiser unit never releases its connection to the CNI, and since a CNI can have only one connection at a time, it is therefore not possible to connect any other service to a CNI that is being used by Wiser.

In an effort to make remote connections of the above services as easy as possible, an interface in the Wiser Flash UI under Tools, called "Remote Access" is available. The 3 options are:

1. Toolkit Control (Enabled/Disabled). Enabling this will allow connection of applications like C-Bus Toolkit or C-Bus Diagnostic Utility to C-Bus from a WAN, or remote connection using the port that has been defined for the CNI in the currently running project. Wiser will take care of any differences based on the mode of operation Wiser is in.

2. Projector Control (Enable/Disable). Enabling this will allow connection by "remote" Web Browsers and other Mobile Wiser Clients such as iPhone. Disabling this will prevent remote access of these services.

3.Project Update (Enable/Disable) Enabling this will allow connection of a "remote" PC using the PICED application permitting projects to up/down loaded to the Wiser unit and/or Colour C-Touch colour units located on the Wiser's LAN network.

Please note that these settings are only applicable to "Remote" connections... They play no part in accessing these services from the LAN.

So.. What constitutes a remote Connection?

- If Wiser is configured in Option A, ie as an Edge Router. In this case a remote connection is any connection that comes via the WAN port of Wiser, which for most cases will mean any connection from the internet.

- If Wiser is configured in Option B, ie as a Double NAT Router. In this case a remote connection is any connection that comes via the WAN port of Wiser, which for most cases will mean any connection from the internet, but also means any device that is connected to the LAN of the first Router. (I think this best describes the setup specific to Lenny's example in this post).

- If Wiser is configured in Option C, ie as a LAN Device. In this case a remote connection is any connection that comes from an IP address that is either the default gateway, or an IP address that is outside of the Wiser's subnet. An example of the later would be if Wiser has the IP address/subnet of 192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0 and the gateway address is 192.168.2.254 then any device connecting to Wiser with an IP address of 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.253 is local, and any other connection, including a connection from the gateway at 192.168.2.254, is considered remote.

I Hope so far this is not to confusing to anyone :)

SO in an effort to sum it up :
    To use the services of Wiser from a remote connection there is no requirement to setup any port forwarding *on the Wiser unit*. It is all done for you by setting the state of the above mentioned buttons on the Tools/Remote Access page. I don't think it could be made any easier than that.

Port Forwarding is only ever required by the customers Router when the Wiser is installed as a LAN device, or in a double NAT configuration (refer to install guide).

Finally. Some reasons behind my instructions.

If you are having issues debugging a remote connection :

First, from a LAN connection. I first instructed you Enable or Disable projector control. This step was required because this action will force Wiser to save its current project configuration and re-boot. It will also alter any changes specific to remote connection for projector to be correct. As I do not know if you have things like power monitoring in the project, I included this step to ensure that you did not lose any project data. (I personally hate gaps in my power data!).

The final state of projector control should be enabled.

Second, regardless of the state shown by the button for the service you want enabled. Change it, wait 60 seconds, and if disabled, change it back and wait 60 seconds. The 60 seconds is just to make you wait for those of you that expect an instantaneous response.. no need to be a clock watcher :-D.

Once you have done this try the connection again.

Just a few last bits of advice.

A remote toolkit connection when established will block out all Wiser functions and stop the User Interface(s) of Wiser controlling C-Bus or seeing C-Bus events, so don't forget to disconnect at the end.

A reminder... Toolkit and Project transfer functions have no authentication. Please only enable these features when you intend to use them. I advise not to leave them permanently enabled.

And finally.. Please change your password for Wiser if you intend to have remote projector enabled. The default password is known by all, so do the right thing and change it.. it takes only a few seconds.

Colin, Aug 16, 2012
  11. Wire_Bug

Barshack

Constructive feedback

Hi Colin,

First let me once again thank you for you posts. I am greatly appreciative of your help in resolving my problem. Since you asked my thought in your last post, I provide this reply. Please take my comments in the constructive nature they are intended. It is my sole intent to provide constructive feedback so the Wiser development team can improve and evolve the product. (I would have preferred to reply using a private message, however it seems that this feature has been disabled for this forum.)

I continue to believe this problem I has was a major bug. Perhaps you could classify it as a catastrophic GUI failure instead, but I think bus is more accurate. Let me provide a few arguments.

To be clear, the problem I refer to involves "Failure to open the Network" from Toolkit when using the Wiser as the gateway, and the configuration is Option B from your recent post.

Argument 1:
    With most hardware, power cycling the equipment is an established way to reset parameters. In this case I am still not certain why we were getting the error. Software cycling Projector Control and Toolkit control fixes the problem, so clearly toggling these options rebuilds or resets something. If there is something that periodically gets corrupted, why isn't resetting it part of the power cycle, initialization process? I have never encountered any issue that a power cycle didn't fix yet a software toggle did. Your fix is (IMHO) extremely counter intuitive.

The configuration I first tried is exactly the configuration that I am currently using, in the first paragraph of your post you state that " I do not feel that the problem you had was a major bug, but rather simply a misunderstanding of the operation of Wiser." I do not believe there is any misunderstanding at all.

Argument 2:
    Before you, there were at least 3 eyes on this problem. Mine, "Wire_Bug" who is a senior member of the US based C-Bus team, and "NickD" who was the other poster on my thread. We were all stumped. Between myself and Wire_Bug, we has already spend over 20 hours trying to diagnose the issue (20 HOURS !!!). We observed that:
    * Everything worked correctly when the PC was part of the Wiser LAN
    * When the PC was moved to my home LAN, toolkit didn't work, but everything else did (the Wiser setup pages, and the Wiser Flash GUI).

Not thinking the problem was with the wiser we wandered down several rabbit holes trying to find out what the problem was.
    * The first thing I did was REBOOT everything !!! (IMHO, this should have worked)
    * We thought perhaps it was a port forwarding issue, we tried all variations of port forwarding.
    * We tried changing DMZ settings
    * (now for the very very very time consuming attempts) Since I had last modified my configuration, I upgraded from toolkit 1.11.x to 1.12.x, I rolled back my version of Toolkit and PICED.
    * Since I had last modified my configuration, I upgraded from toolkit XP to 7. I rebuilt a new installation of XP
    * So far everything was using Parallels on my Mac as we are primarily a Mac household. I now started to consider it was a Parallels issue and modified various network configurations on my virtual machine. There are several addressing the way you configure the network adaptor and the serial adaptor.
    * I tried them using each version of the operating system.
    * Reading the forums, there are a few posts from around 2004 that discuss Java being an issue, so I installed legacy version of Java to see if that was the problem.
    * I was getting tech support on this issue from the US based C-Bus team. They were accessing my computer using Webex.com. I think Webex uses Java, perhaps this is where the problem was coming from.
    * We determined it was most likely a Parallels/Mac issue, so I went up into the attic and un-mothballed an old PC. Fired it up, loaded all combinations of Toolkit and PICED and kept getting the error.

All in all, we power cycled the Wiser over a dozen times. We checked the "Flash UI" to verify that "Toolkit Control" was enabled.

Even with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I would never have thought that the fix was to software toggle a setting.

Argument 3:
    I have been involved in both hardware and software technology for over 40 years, any product that requires the effort and time I put in to correctly correct/configure it either has a design bug or is simply poorly designed.

Your posts clearly articulates the flexibility and power of the Wiser and the various ways it can be used, but after reading and re-reading your post, I do not see how it addresses my contention that the only way to correct an internal configuration corruption is the extremely non-intuitive process of software toggeling one of the parameters that visually is configured correctly.

Closing note:
    Yesterday the issue reoccured, specifically I got the error "Failed to open the Network?" from toolkit. As you instructed, I toggled the software settings of Remote Access and once again everything returned to normal. I do not know what creates the failed state, but it seems that I will be required me to periodically connect the the LAN side of the Wiser when a software toggle is needed. This is highly undesirable as the Wiser is in a remote location of a mechanical room. Any thoughts ?

Once again, I hope you take this post in the constructive nature it was intended. It is my sole intention to motivate the Wiser team to reconsider classifying this issue as a major bug in the hope that they modify the firmware and avoid future users from having a user experience similar to mine.

Barshack, Aug 18, 2012
  12. Wire_Bug

Colin Moderator

First Let me thank you for responding, and add that i would very much like all reply's to remain public as the contents is constructive and benefits every member of the forum who comes across it.

You make some excellent points. And i do agree that power cycling the unit should indeed fix your issue, Why it did not i do not know and i will make an effort to reproduce this issue and if i am successful i hope to provide an answer or solution. Issue Number is 24042.

In response to your efforts.
    "* The first thing I did was REBOOT everything !!! (IMHO, this should have worked)" Assuming that the toolkit control showed as enabled prior to power cycle i Agree with you completely this should have worked.

* We thought perhaps it was a port forwarding issue, we tried all variations of port forwarding.
    * We tried changing DMZ settings
    It was these two efforts that concerned me the most and it is the point i have tried to make in my previous post for the benefit of all other readers. The service that provides toolkit access to C-Bus resides on Wiser (not the CNI connected to wiser) thus port forwarding and DMZ on the Wiser unit play no part in making this feature work, Hence i went to such effort to explain how wiser operates mostly for the benefit of others reading the forum, I do not know what impact setting port forwarding options on the wiser configuration UI would have but i strongly suggest that for ports 80 8080 8888 8889 10001 8336 8337 9000 9001 you don't create any such rules on wiser at the risk of breaking its normal expected operation.

I Would just like to remind the readers again. that While power Cycling Wiser is a intuitive thing to try when something is not working. If it is possible to access the wiser. Forcing it to reboot by changing the Projector access has the added advantage of ensuring that information such as Power Monitor Data is stored and maintained. For some this may not be important. But as a regular observer and user of wiser myself. I hate losing changes made to my wiser UI especially Power History.

The Closing note has been a very helpful bit of information
    Yesterday the issue reoccurred, specifically I got the error "Failed to open the Network?" from toolkit. As you instructed, I toggled the software settings of Remote Access and once again everything returned to normal. I do not know what creates the failed state, but it seems that I will be required me to periodically connect the the LAN side of the Wiser when a software toggle is needed. This is highly undesirable as the Wiser is in a remote location of a mechanical room. Any thoughts ?
    If you could take a moment next time this occurs (assuming it will) what does the Flash UI show the status for toolkit Control. And assuming toolkit control is showing enabled if you cycle toolkit control only with a 10 second pause in between. Do you regain access.

As for all the extended efforts. They all seem quite logical steps. However i hope my first post in debugging the issue arms a few people with a quicker set of tools to help diagnose their problems. After all if you can not get a response with telnet your problem will not be with software.

Colin, Aug 20, 2012
  13. Wire_Bug

Barshack

Continued.....

Hi Colin,

I am glad you took my note in the manner it was intended.

It was always the case that the Flash UI always showed:
    * Toolkit Control Enabled
    * Projector Control Enabled
    * Project Update Enabled
    (see screenshot from prior post)

The only reason we tried fooling with any of the port mappings, DMZ mappings, or anything else we did was because we had no reason to suspect the Wiser was the issue. Once again, owe were using double NAT, and it worked fine when accessed from the LAN side and the GUI worked fine when accessed from the WAN side. Anyway?.

Over the weekend I experienced the issue twice more. I was able to correct the issue by cycling the "Toolkit Control". It always shows ENABLED, but after setting it to Disabled and then Enable, toolkit is once again able to establish the network connection. Since I did not have to turn off "Projector Control" I was able to correct the problem from the computer on the home LAN and avoided having to crawl to the computer connected to the Wiser LAN. (My configuration is detailed in a prior post).

To directly answer your question, the Flash UI always shows that all three options are Enabled, and yes, by toggling Toolkit Control, I regain access.

One issue that might be relevant is that I have Toolkit and PICED on two computers. One is in the closet physically plugged into the Wiser and on the Wiser's LAN (192.168.2.x). The other is conveniently on my desk and part of my home LAN (which is also the Wiser WAN). There is only one computer powered up at any time, but it might be the case that accessing Toolkit from one computer and then the other is creating the corruption within the Wiser. Since I only use the PC for accessing Toolkit and PICED, it always shut it down when finished. Specifically, it is NOT the case the both computer are trying to access toolkit at the same time, in fact, it is typical that only one is powered on at any time.

If you are part of the Wiser development team: I will be tinkering with Toolkit and PICED over the next few weeks. I would expect to encounter this issue again. If you wish to provide me with a way to contact you, I am glad to grant you VNC to my machines so you can poke around when I next encounter the problem. I am also glad to send you log files from Toolkit.

Lastly, how can I track the Issue Number ?

Barshack, Aug 20, 2012
  14. Wire_Bug

daniel C-Busser Moderator

The issue number is an ID in our internal bug-tracking database. It mainly serves as a signpost for other employees reading the posts, and prevents the creation of duplicate issues.

Unfortunately you can't track it directly, but you can find it in the change logs for releases or ask Technical Support or here on the forums for an update on the issue number.

daniel, Aug 21, 2012
Ask a Question