Wiser & iPhone/ipad climate gui bugs

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by greefon, Dec 5, 2011.

1. greefon

greefon

Hi everyone!

There are three thermostats, wiser, relays & dimmer in Cbus network.
    Each new day I have the same strange thing happened in iPhone/iPad app:
    inside climate tab wiser shows three zones but each one has zero temperature, and the zones themselves are shows as being turned off.
    On hardware thermostats show +18 degrees and one zone always turned on.
    Plugging in/out of wiser power helps until the next day, cause the issue repeats again & again.
    Lighting statuses show normally, as they have to be.
    Firmware on wiser - 1_24_0.
    Please advise!

p.s. Photos added.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
    greefon, Dec 5, 2011
  2. greefon

greefon

upd

Hi everyone!
    Today's morning i spent on site trying to reach out the bug.
    First try of turning light via iPhone app took about 15-20 seconds from push to power on of lighting. I pushed on the scene but not all the relay channels turned on as they should have to. Seemed like some kind of "traffic" inside C-bus that had to be "pushed trough". This happens very rare but amlost always at the first manipulation of C-bus in the morning & be means of iApp.

Then Wiser showed this again - zero degrees.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
    greefon, Dec 19, 2011
  3. greefon

greefon

Next
    i was configuring 2 thermostats & after connecting to Cbus & uploading new configurations Cbus began to reply instantly on any changes made by iApp or win7 & wiser showed normal temperature as you can see.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2011
    greefon, Dec 19, 2011
  4. greefon

greefon

Please advice me anything, I feel like it's something simple that i'm missing, like burden or clock or what else?
    Here are two screens in next post from C-Toolkit: network & log.
    Maybe it can help you get to the point.
    Thanks in advance!!

greefon, Dec 19, 2011
  5. greefon

greefon

Screens

Attached Files:

greefon, Dec 19, 2011
  6. greefon

Colin Moderator

Hi Greefon

Please PM me for contact details I would like to look at your projects in order to re-produce/fault find the issue.

Colin, Dec 29, 2011
  7. greefon

Colin Moderator

Just a little tip it does not help your situation but, when you want a screen grab from a iphone press and hold the power button at the top and then press the button at the bottom of the screen and release both together, this will take a snapshot of your screen and place it in your photos directory which you can then copy of or email out etc. (just a nicer way of getting a screen shot)

Colin, Dec 29, 2011
  8. greefon

greefon

Colin, I appreciate your willing to help!
    About - iDevice - yeap I foreknew that already & thanks! The only way to learn that - is to face such iWiser issue.
    Can't reach private messaging section - shows that I do not have permission to access that page... weird.
    Would you kindly write me by mail - karageur[AT]gmail.com
    Thank you in advance!

greefon, Dec 29, 2011
  9. greefon

poldim

I have a similar problem with my Wiser system. I have tried to trouble shot it by creating two widget running one in F and one in C

Wiser Web UI: Regardless of actual status of the system, on or off, the HVAC widget comes up with a dash as if the system is off

[​IMG]

For some reason, its showing 33 F or 1 C - no idea why.
    Improvement: Always show current temp on Widget regardless of off or on state.

When you click on the heating icon, the set point always defaults to 72 F and then you can adjust -/+.
    Improvement: This would be better if it was able to show the current or previous set point.

[​IMG]

On Iphone running Wiser v1.20 when I open the screen to the it shows the following. After selecting either one, if hit the slide for zone off setting to turn it on, the slide goes to the on side and then instantly slides back to off. No other touches of anything else performs any kind of function. The slide back to off also occurs on the main widget screen where you can see both HVAC widgets. The odd thing is that by doing this, the HVAC system will get turned on, but not turned off if it was already on. So I imagine its sending only an "on" command as the switch slides to the on position but then when it instantly resets to the "off" position, nothing it sent.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

poldim, Jan 13, 2012
  10. greefon

greefon

Hi, poldim!
    Tell me please on what device you have burden activated?

greefon, Jan 13, 2012
  11. greefon

poldim

I'd have to check and dont have that ability right now. Is there a suggested location to enable the software burden? Should it be done in more than one place?

poldim, Jan 14, 2012
  12. greefon

greefon

One per network definitely with 001 address.
    As for me - I had burden enabled at Wiser so this bug happened every day, until I replaced the burden to 12 Ch Voltage Free Relay.
    Three weeks already still works like a charm (*fingers crossed*)!

greefon, Jan 14, 2012
  13. greefon

Colin Moderator

Just a Quick Update on HVAC
    I have being testing the reports from this forum in regards to HVAC support.
    Their are Two different things happening in the previous reports. But I believe both are related,
    In those reports where the widget is showing no state for mode, set point and fan speed off, along with the - for the temperature (in flash UI and 0 in iPhone). This is the state that the widget will show when no value has been obtained from C-Bus for the widget.
    In this case please check the following.
    1. Network Stability. IE Burdens, connections etc. I can not explain why a burden enabled on the wiser CNI would be any different to another burden enabled on another C-Bus unit, if changing it to another unit solved the issue for someone then its worth a try. If you report this as fixing your issue please also confirm that you did only enabled a burden on unit 1 and turn 1 of on wiser, as it is possible to have both unit 1 device and on any PCI device. thus going from 2 burdens to 1 may improve things/ or in some cases make it worse.
    2. Check that you have everything correct in your project, things to check.
    a. Check that your thermostat is configured to output values onto C-Bus​
    b. check that you have the correct HVAC zone group set in PICED as per the programmed address in your thermostat, these are set manually so mistakes are easy​
    c. Wiser Currently only supports a reverse cycle plant type, although other plant types appear to work the focus on operation has been for reverse cycle. I will try to comment further on what the differences would be once I have gathered these facts.​
    As for the second problem where value of 0 deg or 1 degree, and the turning on/off of a HVAC zone from iPhone in the simple view. Efforts to reproduce these issues have only returned results where the HVAC unit has been missing (ie not attached to the network, or very poor network com's,/over or under burdened).
    What has been observed is. When temperature is being reported by the widget as 0 degree, on IPhone and 1 degree on Flash UI, then it is not possible to get other functions from the widget (on/Off Set point or zone etc) this matches the reports in the forum, All of these have so far proven to be as a result of no communications /response with / from the thermostat on C-bus, so again refer to the list above and check the following.
    You may wish to use the diagnostic tool from the Clipsal website to further analyse what is happening. This is useful if you have second device to connect to C-Bus (not wiser) so a second CNI or PCI or a black and white touch screen etc.
    The diagnostic tool is a good way to confirm that the thermostat is communicating on C-bus correctly and on the correct HVAC group that you believe to be set. You should also be able to observe wiser controlling the HVAC and the information that is seeing from C-bus such as temperature and zone state.

I hope this helps those having issues with HVAC widgets and Wiser.

Colin, Jan 16, 2012
  14. greefon

greefon

Hi Colin,
    I confirm that burden is only active on 001 device - 12 channel relay and switched off on wiser.
    As for the HVAC zone group setup in PICED - I also confirm that each group configured correctly.
    There was one more thing that Nick Rusanov (Clipsal Russia) advised me along with changing device's burden is to set on Wiser ANY settings for WAN port - Internet. Not sure if this change exactly helped but who knows - wiser as one can see very unpredictable device. iWiser still dosn't support multitasking, though several updates were made for iOS ((.

greefon, Jan 16, 2012
  15. greefon

Colin Moderator

By Multitasking do you mean, The wiser app goes through the full connection process each time you flip over to it.

If this is the case their is a very reasonable answer for this, but rather than just babel on i will wait for a response to see if i have understood your comment correctly.

Colin, Jan 17, 2012
  16. greefon

greefon

You got me right - every switch to wiser is pain in waiting when it loads again.
    Especially when the project is big enough. I compare wiser with other similar apps which many integrators use on iDevices - like TouchPanelControl and IridiumMobilie for AMX, Crestron Mobile, CommandFusion, Gira's HomeServer etc. They support native resolution, multitasking (and doesn't go offline on double tab of round button) and always stays online (user can receive messages if app in background).

greefon, Jan 17, 2012
  17. greefon

Colin Moderator

Ok, Well while i am not familiar with some of those apps i am with others.

One significant difference with those app's and wiser is that they do not deal with local and remote connections automatically, they are designed to either. work on the local network of the system under control, or allow the user to define multiple systems that require the user to manually intervene and tell the app where they are in respect to the system, ie At home, on the road using mobile data, in the office etc. in most cases. the apps require a minumun of two accounts one for local and one for remote. And in my limited experience if the user is using their app and it is multitasking in the background and they jump in the car and get down the street, then that app, wont be giving them notifications, and if they switch back to it, it wont be connected to their system, they will need to exit the project, selected their remote project and reconnect.

The Wiser App, given that the user has provided the URLfor remote access. in the above scenario will connect with no intervention or input from the user, the wiser app was designed to auto detect the connection type required and to determine where it is in respect to the system it controls. It will connect using the lowest path cost connection.

So if the device only has a 3G Connection then it will detect this and switch directly to remote access using the remote access URL (If enabled warn the user they are using 3G data, very important if your overseas as KB's are worth more than gold when roaming) and connect to wiser over 3G.

If the Device is on Wifi it will do one of 3 things in the following order.
    A. If the device IP address is in the same subnet as the IP address provided for local connection to wiser. The application will attempt to connect to a wiser unit at the defined IP address. If connection is possible thats it.

A.1. If A. is true but no connection at the defined IP address then the APP considers that your mobile device might be in a location that is not local to your wiser but just happens to be the same IP range as your home network (we call this an Alien Wifi point) so the app will use the wifi connection and the provided remote URL to try and contact wiser. Assuming internet access is available from the alien wifi the app will connect and all is well.

B.If the Wifi IP address of the device is not the same subnet as the local IP provided in the app then the app will jump strait to using WiFi with the remote URL details and connect to the wiser.

The draw back to this is that the app must re-test and reconnect to the wiser each time the application is brought into focus.

I think many people would agree that the way the wiser app works is very ideal for people using mobile devices that leave the home. IE iPhone.

I will agree as a fellow IPAD user that its not the best for IPad although i have a 3G iPad which never leaves my side so i still find the current operation acceptable.

I will add the following, the app was developed before iPad, and Before multitasking. (No excuse to keep up to date i know) but it does mean we inherit some old platform stuff when moving forward.

I would like to see further consideration to maintaining connection in multitasking also. but head the warning. If we maintain the convenience that we currently have of auto connection regardless of location. the solution will not be a walk in the park. Time Effort Planning and Testing, with our resources does not = Quick.

Anyway i hope that sheds some light on the criticisms made. It was a decision made that hopefully the majority find most suitable to what they offer their clients.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
    Colin, Jan 17, 2012
  18. greefon

greefon

TouchPanelControl and IridiumMobile work with remote & local address at once. Both have the similar settings for applying wan & LAN IPs and auto or manual choosing of network. No need in selecting different project for another IP. One project works both with wan and LAN via wifi or 3G (with function of notifications for 3G connections).
    I'm really want to say that wiser is good, not bad, but there are some more features that needed soooo much.

greefon, Jan 18, 2012
Ask a Question