Wiser firmware - dead unit after less than 24hrs.

Discussion in 'C-Touch/HomeGate/SchedulePlus/PICED Software' started by ariddell, Jul 31, 2009.

1. ariddell

ariddell

Ok, our new shiny wiser got delivered yesterday morning.... As such i started configuring it up yesterday evening...

Saw the new firmware version released with v4.7 of Piced so thought i would update to that first to make sure it was on the latest version before going any further with it/starting on the piced side of the config etc....

Followed the process for a firmware update through the web interface (the unit had been fully connectable, able to access the device obviously up till this point). Unit went through the upload process, came back and said that the upload had completed sucessfully and it rebooted.

About a minute later the web interface gave up trying to reconnect to it.

5 Mins later. Wiser not back up.

10 Mins later, still nothing.

Didn't want to power it off just incase it was still doing something but eventually i did. Doesn't start up, red diag light is stuck on.

Held down the reset button for ~45secs whilsty plugging the power cable in to factory reset it.... No change. Still stuck with red diag light always on.

So yeah, less than 24 hours of a working Wiser, now we have quite an expensive paperweight.....

Is there any recovery mode/way of reflashing via TFTP etc that i can give a try before going through the hassle of sending it back for a replacement?

Is this common for firmware updates to brick the unit? So far really not impressed by the quality of the product if this is what happens.

:mad:

ariddell, Jul 31, 2009
  2. ariddell

Colin Moderator

Lets See if we can help. Your Post was.

Followed the process for a firmware update through the web interface (the unit had been fully connectable, able to access the device obviously up till this point). Unit went through the upload process, came back and said that the upload had completed sucessfully and it rebooted.

Why Did you update using this method and not through PICED?
    An update through PICED transfer utility would have done this for you, ensuring you get the right firmware version. Can you provide any details about what firmware version you where upating from.

About a minute later the web interface gave up trying to reconnect to it.

5 Mins later. Wiser not back up.

10 Mins later, still nothing.

Didn't want to power it off just incase it was still doing something but eventually i did. Doesn't start up, red diag light is stuck on.

Held down the reset button for ~45secs whilsty plugging the power cable in to factory reset it.... No change. Still stuck with red diag light always on.

Do you know how to use IPCONFIG on you PC? If so can you confirm that your PC has the correct IP settings, If you where using all defaults straight out of the factory then you should have you PC setup to accept and IP address by DHCP and your IP address should be something like 192.168.2.100

IF you confirm this then try and ping the wiser. Again if you left it at factory default this will be

Ping 192.168.2.1

Give me some feedback on your success......

So yeah, less than 24 hours of a working Wiser, now we have quite an expensive paperweight.....

Is there any recovery mode/way of reflashing via TFTP etc that i can give a try before going through the hassle of sending it back for a replacement?

Is this common for firmware updates to brick the unit? So far really not impressed by the quality of the product if this is what happens.

No I have done countless thousands of updates to the product this is not common. By having the Diag Light come onto red their is a good chance you do not have a bricked unit so with a little effort im sure you can sort out what is happening. I would suggest for a faster resolution than Posting on the forums you should call Clipsal Technical support

Colin, Jul 31, 2009
  3. ariddell

ariddell

Thanks Colin,

Had a good chat with a very helpful chap in tech support and also a more senior chap from Clipsal who watches the forums and saw the post, and have unfortunately concluded that I have managed to turn on the "broken mode" in the wiser.

The unit doesn't come up either on the new IP address it was assigned prior to the upgrade, or on the default 192.168.2.1 address. Basically i don't think it's getting beyond the bootloader stage so i think the firmware upload itself has failed somehow.

The method i used to upload the firmware is apparently wrong (should indeed be done through PICED, not in the web interface like I did), and although it shouldn't cause the issue i have from the testing tech support have done there apparently isn't an easy way to recover from it.

As such i have passed the handling of the unit back to my colleague who did the ordering of it originally, who has now arranged the return of it to the supplier. I am told that when the replacement arrives i am to be supervised in its presence at all times and only allowed near the keyboard when wearing anti-typing mittens.

Thanks to the guys from Clipsal, and sincere apologies as to the tone of my original post suggesting that there was a fault with the quality of the device - def a case of me getting the wrong end of the stick on how the upgrade should be done going through the web frontend rather than piced (although to avoid others doing the same it might be useful to remove this option in a future release :) ).

Think i'm proving to be a perfect example of why these are only sold and usually fully configured through Pointone!!

ariddell, Jul 31, 2009
  4. ariddell

wappinghigh

...actually your experience IS useful!

ariddell.

thanks for the post and sharing the experience. This is the sort of thing I would have done!!
    I'm also a "tinkerer"...but luckily I got the wiser software install and upgrade side done buy a rather fastidious pointone (who reads manuals religiously!).

I did all the networking, and am now doing some tweeking of the widgets etc.

But your post is actually very helpful. IMHO it points out a bit of a conceptual flaw in how WISER will end up being used by customers. The sort of people that buy this product are going to be just like you and me.

They are going to want to do upgrades and widget/GUI alterations by themselves: without hassling their installer all the time (believe me: my one is sick of me!! :D )They won't want to necessarily fire up PICED on an outdated windows XP machine all the time!

SO by far the best and easiest way to do this, would be directly via the web interface (not PICED). Lets hope the software guys take your experience on board and consider making changes in future WISER software upgrades..So it can become more of a standalone product within our home networks...

...oops..updated note....looks like I spoke to soon.... and some editing of widgets is now available directly on the web interface with the new software release....nice one guys....looking forward to also doing same with actually loading the upgrades....

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
    wappinghigh, Jul 31, 2009
  5. ariddell

Rowan Goss

wiser unit CNI new IP Address

hi, has anyone had success in giving the CNI unit of the wiser a new ip address? i have downloaded the C-Bus IP Utility & scanned. i pick up 2 pc interface's which i have in my network - i select the 1 i would like to alter. when giving it a new ip address it starts to save but when it comes back online it still has the default ip of 192.168.2.2 & i would like to change it to 192.168.0.201? i have managed to change the wiser ip from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.0.200 / i have tried to change the IP address of the CNI with 4 different laptops and get the same result. any suggestions. i also reset the complete unit back to factory settings and still had no luck.

Rowan Goss, Sep 21, 2009
  6. ariddell

Speedy

A few things to try if you havn't already:

- Check what type of 'hook up' topology you are using i.e Type A,B or C. The router may need to be configured differently for each.

- Have you made sure that you laptops are in the same IP subnet as the wiser? Your laptop will need to be set too assign IP by DHCP or statically set IP to 192.168.0.** Is there any specific reason why you are using '0' as the subnet IP range? I would suggest using a real number and see if this helps.

- What device is allocating the IP addresses.....is the Wiser set to DHCP server?

- Make sure router firmware is up to date. However bif you use C-Bus IP setup utility shoud find the CNI. If not try to serch for it in PICED 'Project Properties Options 2 box. Also you could try pinging the CNI from the command prompt in CMD.

Regards.
    CH

Speedy, Sep 21, 2009
  7. ariddell

Rowan Goss

wiser CNI unit

thanks fro the prompt feedback speedy - i will try the suggestions and get back to you.

Rowan Goss, Sep 22, 2009
  8. ariddell

NickD Moderator

I'm not a Wiser expert, but I have one myself and have not had any trouble changing the IP address of the CNI with the IP Utility.,, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong.. Speedy's advice seems to be more related to problems addressing the Wiser rather than the CNI..

The only things I can think of that *might* cause you problems..

1) If something else is already using the same IP address.

2) If the wiser is enabled as a DHCP server, the default range for its automatically assigned addresses starts at .100 and goes up.. you are trying to assign static IP addresses in the same range... can you try assigning the Wiser/CNI in the range below 100?

NickD, Sep 22, 2009
Ask a Question