"Wiser" control via pda.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wappinghigh, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

The "Wiser" blurb says you will be able to control c-bus via phones/pds's using a specific app. (I can't recall it's name right now)...

Given the whole wiser concept seems to retain c-bus's dependancy on windows (including a windows media controller plugin), I assume this is an app that runs under windows CE.

I also assume this is NOT an iphone app? Correct?

Yeh I know you can probably set up "wiser" as a fixed IP device under a customers Apple network (has this been confirmed BTW?)...and say use firefox to browse onto "wiser"...but this is a bit cumbersome..

Doesn't seem too "wise" to me. Am I missing something here??

With the iphone's (as apposed to windows PDA devices) and itunes (as apposed to windows media player) OVERWHELMING market penetration into homes, you've got to ask the question, where is the iphone app? And where is the itunes integration???:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
    wappinghigh, Apr 20, 2009
  2. wappinghigh

Conformist

I assume you mean projector which is a Flash plugin

ah no. Wiser is a web server type product in an edge router form factor. Ironically, Linux based.

Wiser is a LAN type device. It's not platform dependant

Yes, I think you are. This product is not a Windows product. The tone of your post indicates you love Apple and hate Windows. Again, this product is platform independent.

Itunes integration? The product is a Home Automation Controller. It connects to hardware not software. The interfaces are served up through....

-Web browser (generic)
    -A flash plugin (generic)
    -Windows Vista Media Centre.

Windows still (OVERWHELMINGLY) has the greatest market penetration in this space..... would make sense to integrate this first agreed?

Hope this helps clear up your confusion.

Conformist, Apr 20, 2009
  3. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Ok. Great to hear it's linux based...

Great. And thanks for the reply.

1/ So can projector run on an iphone/touch?? Or to put it another way does the iphone support flash plugins?

2/ Windows Vista media centre...um hello...I beg to differ...surely you can't be serious in suggesting this has wider usage than itunes???? Why not make the media centre integration "generic" as well...Vista....YUKKKKKK!

When did you last go into an Apple store? I mean just about everybody has an ipod! Sure Windows might have great "business" penetration (still via XP I might add) but as for usage at home, I beg to differ. Certainly high end users (and these are the most likely to have home automation) are far more likely to have used macs at home. You want the product to be generic. It's linux based, so make it run properly with macs as well....add an itunes interface or add a flash plugin for an appleTV as well....

4. wappinghigh

wilddog

Hi,

1. No, unfortunately, at this stage, Apple are refusing to support Flash on the iPhone. There was hope that it would be included in the iPhone 3.0 release, but alas, it was not. I believe the issues revolve around the lack within flash to support multi-touch, and what apple describe as unsatisfactory graphic performance.

2. I don't think anyone suggests that it has greater coverage than iPhone, however, the requirement for TV based control exists and the usage of media extenders such as those from DLink are quite popular.

3. The Symbian S60 platform app for Wiser is well underway, A MAC native projector is available should it be required however, the web-app works fine on a Mac as it is.

It would be fair to say, that we are well aware of the requirement for iPhone/iTouch support, hwever, as this development has been going some time, the first release of the iTouch/iPhone SDK was not available.

Wiser is an on-going development, and new interfaces and connections to new devices will continue at some pace.

wilddog, Apr 20, 2009
  5. wappinghigh

Conformist

I think you may be confused comparing Vista Media Centre and Itunes?? They are different products. Should compare to AppleTV for a closer functionality likeness. There is a much larger take-up of Media Centre in this space at present.

You can buy an Ipod in most stores, not just Apple store, correct? Not sure what you mean by this comment.

Maybe so, but not as media centres which is what the Plugin is for.

This may happen when AppleTV has a larger uptake in the market.

I don't understand what you are saying about an interface into iTunes. It will run on a Mac in the web browser, same as Windows and Linux.

Conformist, Apr 20, 2009
  6. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Wiser...

Wildog has my drift...

What I meant re Apple stores is the THRONGS of people going through the joints. Do yourself a favour and come over to Melbourne and take a taxi out to the Chadstone shopping centre Apple store. Apple (NOT Microsoft) is the future in computer/internet content home audio/entertainment distribution IMHO. Why not just release a "projector" for Apple TV (for TV control of wiser)..

What I meant by an itunes server/interface, is the ability for a home automation product to stream itunes files straight from an itunes library. Be it from a NAS or computer. That way everytime the library is updated, no fuss. No bother. No recoding. Can "Wiser" do that? For a simpler (just audio) solution that is available in Australia right now, look at the way Sonos integrates itunes..

Yeh sure I'll be getting a Wiser for easier access into my c-bus (a web browser is much easier than the current piced/PC interface)...and to allow my dealer remote access

But as for using it to run/co-ordinate ALL my home automation (as illustrated in the brochures)....forget it at present. It's a great start but it has a long way to go....it's encouraging to hear that it is an ongoing development, but please focus that development on what customers actually want (not what you think they may want)

7. wappinghigh

Conformist

Thanks for the feedback....

The focus is on what customers want (now) with a vision to expand to growing trends such as Apple.

Conformist, Apr 21, 2009
  8. wappinghigh

Darpa

Great, another apple fanboi foaming at the mouth over their beloved apple products and wondering why the entire world has not conformed to their way of thinking. *Sigh*

Darpa, Apr 21, 2009
  9. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Thanks for the cyber bullying and flaming. What I said was entirely appropriate. The product is supposed to be generic. Get a life. :eek:

wappinghigh, Apr 21, 2009
  10. wappinghigh

znelbok

Unfortunately, that is how you came across to me as well. Your questions were valid, it was probably more on how you posed them.

Mick

znelbok, Apr 21, 2009
  11. wappinghigh

ashleigh Moderator

Occasionally on this forum, passions run high and flame wars erupt.

When that happens, some of the few people who can do so generally close the thread to allow calm to prevail.

I'm one of those who can do this, and I think its time to do so now. Opinions have been aired. Message received and understood by all as far as I can tell.

Closing thread. Anybody who disagrees with this action and wants it reopen is quite at liberty to PM me and either take me to task, or ask nicely. Nicely would be preferred.

ashleigh, Apr 22, 2009
Ask a Question