Wiser connection problems

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by ian rockett, Apr 13, 2013.

1. ian rockett

ian rockett

I need to drop the power off my wiser every few days. My ipad cannot see the wiser. Drop off the power then it's ok. Do I need to set up a schedule to reset the wiser every day?

ian rockett, Apr 13, 2013
  2. ian rockett

kjayakumar

That sounds bad. Which version of firmware are you using? I know that prior to 1.29.0, there was a problem with ephemeral connections (remote connections and mobile clients) which was fixed in 1.29.0. The ephemeral connection problem that was fixes sounds like what you're describing, ie: you could still connect to the Wiser's web pages (http://192.168.2.1/index_i.htm) but the user interface would fail to connect and this would happen between 1 - 7 days depending on the number of mobile clients/remote connections that were being made.

If you are seeing this problem with 1.29.0, it would be useful to figure out what's causing it because you should typically see Wiser uptimes of at least a month. Is there any special logic in your project? Is the Wiser connected to the internet and is the failure occurring only on the WAN side or is it on both WAN and LAN?

kjayakumar, Apr 15, 2013
  3. ian rockett

Charlie Crackle

Only at least a month ?? I would hope it is much longer than this.

Charles

Charlie Crackle, Apr 15, 2013
  4. ian rockett

ian rockett

Firmware 1.26.0 so I will update and keep you posted. Thanks. Ian

ian rockett, Apr 15, 2013
  5. ian rockett

ian rockett

Ok it's a few days since up grade all fine until tonight. I can use the wiser to access the Internet but I can see all my programming on the wiser/cbus but it does not work until I drop off the power to reset the wiser. Shall I set up a schedule like the old colour touch screens to reset the wiser say every day????

ian rockett, Apr 19, 2013
  6. ian rockett

arrikhan

Ian, you have mentioned much about your setup. It sounds like you use your wiser as a router for your home network also? Can you confirm also how your IPAD talks to the Wiser. Ie: WAN (external access) or LAN (local wifi network).

You need to remove all variables to determine if its your Wiser acting as a Wiser or your Wiser acting as a router both from a wired and wireless that is the problem.

Can you access your Wiser via browser at the time your IPAD can no longer access the Wiser? Wiser should be accessible all the time without reboots. I use a myriad of IOS devices and browsers to talk to Wiser all the time. Mine stays up for months and only reboots when I update logic. It's plugged into a UPS and is very stable.

Can you confirm you can talk to Wiser via

1) connected to the LAN from a PC/Browser
    2) connected to Wifi through LAN from a IPAD
    3) connected externally via WAN (3G on IPAD for example)

Ben C

arrikhan, Apr 20, 2013
  7. ian rockett

kjayakumar

I don't think there is a method to reset the Wiser from schedules.

Is there any special logic in your project? Is the Wiser connected to the internet and is the failure occurring only on the WAN side or is it on both WAN and LAN? ie: when the failure occurs, are you able to access the Wiser from the LAN side? (eg: can you ping its LAN ip, access the web server pages, or use the UI).

kjayakumar, Apr 22, 2013
  8. ian rockett

ian rockett

Ok I can connect to my wiser and see the cbus layout from my ipad and PC. I do not use number 3 method. The program looks on the screen as if it is working but no lights operate. I have noticed on my PCM there is a cbus logo in the corner with a red circle and a line through it. To me everything points to the CNI.

ian rockett, Apr 22, 2013
  9. ian rockett

kjayakumar

The C-Bus logo with a red strike through it indicates that the Wiser has lost connectivity to C-Bus. At that point, I would check the CNI's status page to see what it says. If your CNI's ip is 192.168.2.2, you can just go to http://192.168.2.2/ in your browser and it will report its status. A normal state would look like:
    C-Bus status: Client connected from 192.168.100.100
    since > 24 hours ago
    Network voltage: 28.7V, measured > 24 hours ago

You can also check what the LEDs on the CNI show. Normal state would be green (with occasional blinking) for both the C-Bus and Ethernet LEDs.

kjayakumar, Apr 23, 2013
  10. ian rockett

ian rockett

Wiser

Clipsal have replaced wiser. All ok

ian rockett, Nov 5, 2013
  11. ian rockett

chrisd4021

Hi All,

I have a very similar issue thats been around a month or so now ( has worked fine for the last year) , every day or so the you loose the ability to connect to it either by App (iPhone) or through local web browser until you restart the wiser then it's back to normal for a day or so. The CNI can be viewed locally (192.168.0.xx) and responds to pings, the wiser responds to pings whilst in the "unreachable state". Piced will connect at this point and retrieve the project but still no connections via the App or web browser until i reboot the wiser.

The connection is method 3
    firmware 1.30

chrisd4021, Jan 17, 2014
  12. ian rockett

arrikhan

I have seen this over the past week also, whilst away on holidays which was worse.

Weird .. I could NOT use the browser remotely, (or locally when I got home), new WiserHD App or the new new neato Schnieder App but COULD use the original Wiser App which is fortunate given the 40 degree weather recently and my manual approach (press button on wiser app) to irrigation.

I reset the Wiser to resolve.

I will report if it happens again but this only started since 1.30 firmware was uploaded to Wiser recently.

arrikhan, Jan 22, 2014
Ask a Question