Wiser Compatible IP Cameras?

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by niciinnz, Aug 23, 2010.

1. niciinnz

niciinnz

Hi There,
    Im currently running a Wiser in my C-Bus install and looking to add the IP Camera function, before I purchase a camera, Is there any requirements or criteria that the camera must fit? From looking around the forum there seems to be a few issues? I was hopeing to find one with Pan Tilt Zoom capability. Any do's or dont's are appreciated, Nic

niciinnz, Aug 23, 2010
  2. niciinnz

kjayakumar

The main catch is that the IP camera needs to provide a jpeg image (most IP cameras label this as snapshot) and then you'll need to provide that URL to Wiser via PICED. As long as the authentication or any other tokens can be stored within the URL, then it'll work. If the authentication needs popups or CGI logins, then it won't work. The Wiser UI doesn't support pan tilt zoom inside the camera widget.

kjayakumar, Aug 24, 2010
  3. niciinnz

wanricky

Look for support for "mjpeg" and "anonymous" viewing allowed..etc.

mjpeg is a must.

many cam requires "login" to view. On a PC, it is ok because there is a pop up screen. However, it wouldn't work on a i-phone...etc. So need to have one allows no login.

In fact, you use PICED, open the cam widget and click the "help" button, you will see the three types of supporting code.

So, mainly we use AXIS cam. Panasonic may do. Some D-Link cam are ok too but not every model.

With Pan Till Zoom, you need to use their own software to control. You can only view from WISER.

wanricky, Sep 7, 2010
  4. niciinnz

NickD Moderator

This is incorrect. The wiser does NOT support MJPEG streams.

The wiser requires a camera which has a URL that provides a static JPEG image.

Nick

NickD, Aug 15, 2011
  5. niciinnz

NickD Moderator

D-Link DCS-932

Just picked up a couple of these to use as BabyCAMs.

They are only VGA output, but they have automatic IR illumination (which is why I chose them for the BabyCAM as the DCS-2121 I originally bought for this is utterly useless in low light).

I hadn't expected to be able to use them with the Wiser as the DCS-2121 does not allow you to turn off authentication, but I was pleasantly surprised to find in the DCS-932 configuration UI that
    a) it tells you the URL for a static JPEG image, and
    b) you can turn off authentication just for the static JPEG URL!

I got them out on Amazon out of the US for US$99, but D-Link appeared to have since announced them for the Australian market. The only difference I can see is the power supply - the ones mine came with are a universal voltage input, but with USA pins.

Nick

NickD, Nov 4, 2011
Ask a Question