Wiser, CNI and C-Bus problems

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by p0rt3r, Nov 3, 2011.

1. p0rt3r

p0rt3r

Hello!

Can't connect to c-bus network with c-bus toolkit and cni built in wiser. Wiser has latest firmware 1.24.0 (shipped with Piced 4.10.1). A simple project has been downloaded to wiser, and it is accessible in browser. Both wiser and its cni respond to ping, IPs are the default (192.168.2.1 for wiser and .2 for cni). CNI info is present on the system page in wiser's setup page. The c-bus led on the cni is orange or red (seems to me it looks like red). When I scan network with pascal controller as serial interface, wiser's cni is present and configurable. When I disconnect wiser and busbar from cni, and try to connect to network with cni itself (only power supply and lan cable attached, CNI's IP 192.168.2.2), all is fine, connection successful. But when I attach wiser and busbar I can't connect to network. The Toolkit message is "PCI is failed to reset. Cannot connect to network". What to do?

p0rt3r, Nov 3, 2011
  2. p0rt3r

Newman

It sounds like you are trying to connect to C-Bus through the Wiser/CNI by addressing the CNI directly. You need to use the address of the Wiser, not the address of the CNI itself.

Any C-Bus CNI only supports a single connection at any given time. This is why when the CNI on it's own was connected to the LAN, you were able to access it and successfully connect to the C-Bus network.

When you add the Wiser to the network, it connects to the CNI immediately. This occupies the available connection to the CNI, hence Toolkit failing to connect. The Wiser uses this connection at all times, so the CNI is not available for other devices to connect to it.

Because of this behaviour, the way to use the Wiser (inc CNI) as an interface to the C-Bus network is to use the IP address of the Wiser, not the CNI, when connecting Toolkit/C-Gate to the network. When you do this, the Wiser suspends normal operation and then hands the connection over to Toolkit/C-Gate. When you close the connection from within Toolkit, the Wiser resumes it's normal operation.

The way the Wiser interacts with the CNI is an important point to understand properly. For example, if you are using Power Monitoring in your Wiser and you connect to C-Bus via the Wiser and leave the Toolkit/C-Gate connection up for, say 4 hours, then your Power Monitoring data will have a 4-hour-sized hole in it. Worth bearing in mind when using the Wiser as a Toolkit interface.

Newman, Nov 3, 2011
  3. p0rt3r

p0rt3r

Network settings in toolkit are CNI/192.168.2.1, i.e. wiser's IP is used, not the CNI's one, surely. Project downloaded to wiser works well, there is no crossed c-bus icon in the UI, lighting groups can be swithed on and off. To cut it short, everything works except the connection to c-bus network in toolkit. The latest available toolkit is used, v 1.11.10. Any more suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
    p0rt3r, Nov 3, 2011
  4. p0rt3r

mattyb

There is a setting in the Piced Project Details under Wiser -> Access to 'Enable Toolkit Control'.

Is that checked?

Cheers

Matt

mattyb, Nov 3, 2011
  5. p0rt3r

p0rt3r

"Enable Toolkit control" checkbox was not checked. When checked I could connect to the network. The problem has gone.
    But here is the question. I thought these three checkboxes for WAN connection only. Though "Enable project update" is not checked, I can update the project with Piced. But I can't open the c-bus network without the appropriate checkbox checked. Another my installation with Wiser has the same LAN connection (option B as in manual), I can open the network there without that checkbox enabled. That's why I didn't play with these options. Need comments about such behavior.

p0rt3r, Nov 4, 2011
  6. p0rt3r

kjayakumar

Hi there,

If I had to guess, it sounds like a networking configuration difference between the 2 sites/installation would explain the behavior you observed. When doing Wiser as a LAN device, keep in mind that everything on the Wiser's LAN switch as well as everything on the same LAN as the switch/router than the Wiser is behind is treated as a peer (ie: authorized to access all of its functionality) since they all have the same subnet-masked IP. Note, if you however have the Wiser's LAN IP as a different subnet and are connecting to it from behind a upstream router that is on the Wiser's WAN route, then the device you are connecting to the Wiser from is considered remote (since its traffic is coming in through either the WAN ethernet port or has an IP that is not on the Wiser's LAN subnet) in which case the Wiser will follow the permissions that have been set.

I've found from experience in debugging these things at customer sites, the best way to do this is to draw out the diagram and write down the IPs, the subnets, DHCP server settings, and check what's physically connected where.

I hope that helps.

kjayakumar, Nov 7, 2011
  7. p0rt3r

brodsky

No C-Bus connection via Wiser

Hi,

I seem to have a similar problem than pOrt3r.

I can't connect to my C-bus network via the Wiser.
    Wiser has latest firmware which I downloaded from CIS website, I use the latest PICED and Toolkit.
    My PICED program is accessible in browser. Both Wiser and CNI respond to pinging, IPs are the default (192.168.2.1 for Wiser and 192.168.2.2 for CNI).
    iPad can connect to Wiser & display correct program, but no connection to C-Bus, i.e none of my C-Bus units react to iPad's GUI.

My Toolkit default and project interface is set up as CNI, 192.168.2.1, port 10001.
    CNI info is present on the system page in Wiser's setup page.
    All LED indicators are ok as per the manual.
    "Enable Toolkit Control" checkbox is checked & also enabled in Wiser UI when open in browser.
    The Wiser is currently only connected on my test panel & not part of any other LAN or WLAN or even connected to internet. It is standalone.

The Toolkit message is "PCI is failed to reset. Cannot connect to network".
    C-gate message just states : unknown response.

I have even used IP utility to change the port number on CNI & back again to default without any success.

Please advise.
    Thanks

brodsky, Feb 2, 2012
  8. p0rt3r

greefon

I got just the same error about three weeks ago.
    I did everything to get it connected - nothing helps.
    So I went to the dealer & exchanged the device.

Wiser is pain in a back - too much bugs & have-to-do in one hardware! Very dissapointed with it.

greefon, Feb 4, 2012
  9. p0rt3r

2SC

Thinks are not so terrible my friend. With an exception to the thermostat problem, wiser is a wonderful product that you can't find in other competitors product range at least in this price.

OK, if you do not have an IT background it is quite difficult to connect the unit the first time.

Now, having commissioned 6 of them I really love it. It is a great product and hopefully soon a Android application and a Ipad application will be available.

2SC, Feb 4, 2012
  10. p0rt3r

greefon

You say IT background :) you know today I tried to change DNS in wiser. Wrote another IP and pushed Save. Device responded like Saving & Rebooting. Ok. Again I open wiser setup - dns server still has old ip. Tried to change it five or six times - no result. Rebooting, restarting, power pluging/unpluging doesn't help. What amount of IT background should one have to change two digits & push Save button? ))
    Problem with thermostats were also in burden which was switched ON in Wiser. Changed burden to relay and problem went away.
    Today after unsuccessful try of changing Dns I finished my work and was going home. I took iPhone and tried to switch off the lights on site. Wiser refused to connect though for at least one hour I manipulated climate and lighting with explorer in wiser. So I had to hard reboot it and after it iPhone app worked.
    You know I have more than 50 of Amx/ Crestron/ KNX projects, programmer's higher education and so on. As for me setting amx for example is much more complex but now I struggle with cbus, cuz I have never faced such "float bugs". Every day something new) I even don't tell about remote access because it's headache too. Sometimes Toolkit not working, but iapp work, sometimes Toolkit not working, iapp working, but explorer wiser doesn't connect.. Uh... All needed ports forwarded which listed in manual.
    I think it's my karma, bad luck or something like that ))
    You were right - this is my first cbus project.

Maybe I should start with the beginning, reset wiser and make new Project in PICED from scratch...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
    greefon, Feb 6, 2012
  11. p0rt3r

brodsky

Hi,

Is there anyone who can assist with this continuous problem? We follow the manuals to the letter but can't get the wiser to connect to C-bus. See detailed description earlier in thread.
    Advise would be appreciated. Can we assume the CNI is faulty?

Thanks.

brodsky, Feb 7, 2012
  12. p0rt3r

kjayakumar

I couldn't find the detailed description you mentioned, a link might help. The first thing I would check (to debug a C-Bus connectivity issue) (ie: C-Bus icon shows red strike through in the Wiser UI), is the status reported by the CNI. Use a web browser to go to the CNI's IP, in my case http://192.168.100.115 with Wiser at 192.168.100.100 and you should see something like:

Description: CNI Mk 2
    Project: CLIPSAL
    Part name: NEWUNIT
    C-Bus status: Client connected from 192.168.100.100
    since > 24 hours ago
    Network voltage: 29.5V, measured > 24 hours ago
    IP Address: 192.168.100.115
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.100.1
    TCP Port: 10001
    Unit Address: 26
    MAC Address: 00:17:DD:00:xx:xx
    Serial Number: 001003271xxx
    C-Bus Firmware: 5.2.24
    Ethernet Firmware: 0.1.4
    Hardware variant: Inline

The key thing that I would check is that it reports network voltage and that it reports a unit address and that it reports client connected from your Wiser's IP. If those are reported correctly, then it suggests the C-Bus connectivity side of things are good.

Hope that helps.

kjayakumar, Feb 9, 2012
  13. p0rt3r

brodsky

Hi,

The description again:

I can't connect to my C-bus network via the Wiser.
    Wiser has latest firmware which I downloaded from CIS website, I use the latest PICED and Toolkit.
    My PICED program is accessible in browser. Both Wiser and CNI respond to pinging, IPs are the default (192.168.2.1 for Wiser and 192.168.2.2 for CNI).
    iPad can connect to Wiser & display correct program, but no connection to C-Bus, i.e none of my C-Bus units react to iPad's GUI.

My Toolkit default and project interface is set up as CNI, 192.168.2.1, port 10001.
    CNI info is present on the system page in Wiser's setup page.
    All LED indicators are ok as per the manual.
    "Enable Toolkit Control" checkbox is checked & also enabled in Wiser UI when open in browser.
    The Wiser is currently only connected on my test panel & not part of any other LAN or WLAN or even connected to internet. It is standalone.

The Toolkit message is "PCI is failed to reset. Cannot connect to network".
    C-gate message just states : unknown response.

I have even used IP utility to change the port number on CNI & back again to default without any success.

Starting from the beginning, the main thing is that I can't connect to C-Bus.
    See attached screenshot.

When opening Toolkit via PCI, I can see and access Wiser.
    When trying to access Toolkit via Wiser, no joy.

Should I exchange unit?

Attached Files:

brodsky, Mar 21, 2012
  14. p0rt3r

tobex

How many routers do you have ?

Which router is connected to the internet ?

How many DHCP server do you have ?

If you have 2 routers then you have a problem of the wiser not being a member of the same subnet as your LAN.

Did you check your CBUS connection ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2012
    tobex, Mar 21, 2012
  15. p0rt3r

brodsky

Hi,

The Wiser is currently on my test bench, not connected to any router or modem.

It is stand-alone and connected only to my C-Bus network.
    My C-Bus network is 100% when scanned via the PCI.

I have no connection via the Wiser though.
    I have disconnected the CNI from the Wiser to establish a starting point.
    The CNI can be pinged. The CNI GUI can be opened by a browser, and it states no C-Bus connection. (See screenshot in previous post).

My only assumption is a faulty CNI?

Thanks so far.

brodsky, Mar 22, 2012
  16. p0rt3r

tobex

Is the CBUS balanced with a clock and burden ?

tobex, Mar 22, 2012
  17. p0rt3r

DarylMc

Hello brodsky
    I've never even seen a Wiser but since you are having a bit of trouble for a while now I will offer 2 pieces of advice.
    Check the polarity and voltage of the CBus connections at the Wiser.
    Give CIS tech support a call.
    Please let everyone know the outcome.

DarylMc, Mar 22, 2012
  18. p0rt3r

brodsky

Turns out to be a faulty CNI.:mad:
    Exchanced unit and all works fine now.

Lots of time wasted!

brodsky, Apr 1, 2012
  19. p0rt3r

Beerygaz

I've just started getting the same error. Everything was fine earlier today, made a few scene changes, pushed to project to Wiser and now there's a CNI conneciton problem

Wiser: 192.168.1.26
    CNI: 192.168.1.27

I can connect to CNI on port 80 and get a status page.

If I connect to Wiser on port 80 I get: "Autheticating socket" and then "Unableto connect to Wiser"
    Toolkit can no longer connect with C-gate returning:
    20121127-231620 911 //HOMEPLUS/254 26fbcec0-1b03-1030-b20e-b236b9ee5172 Can't open: C-Bus interface (port failure (Connection refused: connect)):192.168.1.26:10001

If I try to telnet 10 port 10001 on 192.168.1.26 I get a "connection refused" error too.

Ideas folks?

Attached Files:

• cni.jpg
      cni.jpg
      File size:
      94.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2012
    Beerygaz, Nov 27, 2012
  20. p0rt3r

kjayakumar

The screenshot shows that 192.168.1.42 is connected to the CNI. While something other than your Wiser (192.168.1.26) is connected to the CNI, the Wiser won't be able to connect.

That doesn't explain why you're getting "Unable to connect to Wiser" as above should still let you connect to Wiser and just show no C-Bus access. I would check the following:
    - is the browser/Adobe Flash caching something (try incognito mode if you're using chromium to eliminate this)
    - if your laptop is on the WAN side of the Wiser, check that remote projector access is enabled in the project

kjayakumar, Nov 28, 2012
Ask a Question