Wiser Access Options

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 1 Controller' started by ITinMT, Dec 4, 2012.

1. ITinMT

ITinMT

I have a client who has wiser home control in which he can access his clipsal lighting and such.

I did not install the system and mainly do IT work for this client.

I must first say my client hates anything Apple. He had various issues with them over the years and wants nothing Apple in his home.

He just got a Windows 8 phone (Which he loves) and wants to access wiser when outside his local network. Sadly it seems there is no app for wiser on windows 8 (not surprising). As well the flash baked into IE on the phone will log into wiser but will not render the page as he could at least do with his older droid.

What is his options going forward in regards to mobile options?

Is there another wiser device he can purchase that doesn't use flash?

Any direction would be a great help.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2012
    ITinMT, Dec 4, 2012
  2. ITinMT

bmerrick

Hi ITinMT,

I am not across all the options for a Windows 8 phone but as no-one answered:

Your client can use an Android Tablet such as a Samsung Galaxy Tab or Archos etc. The new native app doesn't need Flash.

or

Alternatively, you are tied to whatever MS does with Flash support on IE, or can await the new Google Chrome browser (with Flash support) slated for Windows 8 phone, whenever that is likely to happen.

Gotta love this guys take on it: (random website on topic)
    Q:
    Does Windows 8 support Adobe Flash on Web pages?

A:
    Yes, but it depends on which of the two computing environments in Windows 8 you’re using. In the familiar desktop, the old-style version of Internet Explorer should run Flash the way it did in the past. In the new tablet-style Start screen, a new touch-optimized version of IE will only support Flash on selected Web pages where Microsoft has decided the experience is good. If Flash doesn’t work on the tablet-type IE, you can switch to the old style version of the browser.

So the question here is, Has Microsoft decided the Wiser experience is good? :D

All the best,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2012
    bmerrick, Dec 13, 2012
  3. ITinMT

ITinMT

Thanks for the reply.

Google has announced they are not making any apps for Windows 8 (and 8 Phone) in the short term as they don't see enough market share.

My client has resigned himself to the fact he is out of luck. He most likely will just keep his android phone around just to access wiser when off site.

Quick follow up question if I may...

Is Clipsal system able to talk to other front end (wiser like) software systems?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
    ITinMT, Dec 15, 2012
  4. ITinMT

bmerrick

Hi ITinMT,

An alternative might be to get your client a touch screen Panel PC for his home (eg for Kitchen area or main home control location) or even just his normal PC, though will be more functional for him as a stand-alone device.

Run Clipsal Homegate on it, which will give him a very configurable and feature rich environment to control his house with (and also can be a logic controller), and then set it up to also be a VNC server and he can control it with a suitable VNC client on Windows Phone 8.

Other than that, apart from third party solutions of which there are several, you may be able to do what he wants using the software in this thread from a browser http://www.cbusforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6728&page=7&highlight=web+control

Hope you can sort him out to his satisfaction without it taking you too many hours of unpaid work, as all the above ideas are far more labour intensive options than just buying an Android phone, and the cost of implementation will probably quickly exceed his inclination to pay for all that time. That being said, the Homegate will give him a very nice home controller in addition to his mobile.

But don't even think of sending him here: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/10-iphone-clones-you-never-see-before/ :eek::D

All the best,

Brad

bmerrick, Dec 16, 2012
Ask a Question