Wiser 2 / C-Bus / PICED Headaches

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by Bleakertron, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Bleakertron

Bleakertron Guest

First and foremost, I require rapid help. I am very new to this tech, have walked into a minefield of learning, but have wrapped my head around it fairly quickly.

The main issue at present is that my existing Wiser 2 apps on devices no longer connect to the system. I receive verification errors on all of them. They used to connect fine until I started tinkering with the system. This all started with a simple fix that I was trying to implement...

I wanted to be able to customize the layout of the switches and buttons to be more user friendly and presentable as the initial install (some years ago) was pretty half-assed. The app was labeled very technically and some items were not organized very well. i.e. Lights labeled in fan categories and so on. I did the research and found that I would need to connect to the main Wiser 5200WHC2 to a screen and mouse and keyboard. Check. Quickly I realized there wasn't much functionality for what I would need to do on this device as it basically mirrored the Wiser 2 app-level of accessibility. Then I went into further research regarding the C-Bus Toolkit. A very handy tool. I spent some time tracing and renaming all the connections in our C-Bus system to be more user friendly as well, considering they were not labeled at all aside from "Group XXX".

Next was PICED. This was scary for me as it seemed like it would become more coding oriented. I took a Visual Basic class in Uni years ago so I figured I could handle it. Opening the project file from the Wiser had its own headaches due to a "Line error" that I was able to correct. Once the project was imported to my computer, I explored around I found the options for connecting to the Wiser and C-Bus Toolkit. (Behold my quick learning skills!) I made sure to save the existing project before going any further, then began tinkering. Oh my, that was fun. I was relabelling, re-icon-ing, creating schedules, creating scenes, all within the widget editor and such. Mind you this was without Flash (RIP) Previews of the icons, so I was just trusting my gut. Countless hours were well spent and I saved it as a new project. Now the fun part right? Transferring to the Unit.

I held my breath and leaned back for the 90-second reboot to finalize my masterpiece. Yet to my surprise, the Unit itself (HDMI connection) shows nothing but a useless menu of old with not a single light, fan, slider dimmer, curtain operator.... NADA. just green menubar and black background next to it. I figured it a fluke so I tried the old project file; transferred it to the unit; the same outcome.

I thought maybe it'll show up on the apps. I went to sign in on one of the Samsung Tabs throughout the house that are used for the primary controls, and they were unable to connect to the unit via LAN

TLDR; I need help by the end of the day tomorrow. at least to restore the old project and have the tablets functioning as controllers again, then I can resolve the other issues another time.

Anyone super savvy with these things?

Bleakertron, Feb 16, 2021
  2. Bleakertron

lcrowhurst

Sounds like you should have got an eco expert out to help you, I think there are a few on here from Qld, where are you based?

lcrowhurst, Feb 16, 2021
  3. Bleakertron

Bleakertron Guest

I'm located on Hamilton Island. Getting assistance is not the easiest.

The real confusing part is that I made no changes to any of the network settings or port connections. Strictly the CBus toolkit and widget names and labels. And now the wiser 2 app enabled devices cannot connect to the wiser. All login credentials are the same, I even added a new one to see if that would work.

I plan to do a power cycle first thing tomorrow and then try from the ground up again starting with flashing old project file and see if the wiser itself has controls functioning.

I wouldn't mind a fresh restart considering. Just would like the tablets to connect again.

4. Bleakertron

lcrowhurst

It’s a while since I have configured a wiser 2, but while you have it connected to the tv and mouse , under setting , I think you can set the network setting.

lcrowhurst, Feb 16, 2021
  5. Bleakertron

Bleakertron Guest

I have explored those settings without altering them. The users remain the same, plus one I added to test out. The network remains the same. The newest addition is my computer connecting to the system in CBus toolkit and PICED via the LAN

From the tablet perspective I sign in with the proper profile credentials but I receive the verification error regardless of the profile.

I'll soon update with some pictures to help clarify my situation. I'm sure it will be a simple solution. Perhaps port dedication or app reinstallation for the tablets. Hopefully I can resolve it today.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Cheers

6. Bleakertron

Bleakertron Guest

Ok here's the fresh reboot and some pics of what I'm dealing with. I have tried the fresh reboot and flashing the old project file to no avail. WIN_20210217_07_54_13_Pro.jpg Screenshot 2021-02-17 080235.png Screenshot 2021-02-17 080420.png Screenshot 2021-02-17 080509.png Screenshot 2021-02-17 080621.png WIN_20210217_08_07_42_Pro.jpg WIN_20210217_08_08_39_Pro.jpg

7. Bleakertron

lcrowhurst

I take it the interface screen shots are from a tv connected to the HDMI. if you expand the Functions and locations is there anything under there?

on the tablets in the wiser 2 app , in the SETTINGS section, there is a menu item under Edit Scenes called Edit xxx (why xxx will be a name) , click on that, what are the network details shown.

pm me at [email protected]

lcrowhurst, Feb 16, 2021
  8. Bleakertron

Bleakertron Guest

UPDATE: I have recovered the old Project and flashed it successfully to the wiser unit. (Whew) Turns out this Wiser unit was only accepting the project file in .XML format.

Now I just need the tablets to reconnect to the system and I can rest easy until someone of greater understanding of the system can come to my aid.

9. Bleakertron

chromus

@Bleakertron delete the apps off the tablets and install from scratch, the App ID changed and now old version doesn't update, you need to get the new 1 which fixes a few remote access bugs and will allow auto updates in future.

We are expecting a MAJOR firmare update to move Wiser2 to HTML5/NODEJS (or similar) and this will move the unit to a much more robust solution.

chromus, Feb 18, 2021
  10. Bleakertron

joeel1

Will the new update also support REST based communication?. And will the API be available for 3rd party developers?..

joeel1, Mar 15, 2021
  11. Bleakertron

chromus

We have nothing more than a promise to get rid of flash.

If you want something for interoperability, then look at Homebridge that connects CBUS to pretty much everything.

Most people run it on a Raspi 4B, this then acts as a mediator, it is a mature platform that my clients love and is all but bullet proof. I have clients on iOS/Droid/Alexa platforms and even mixed environments working seemlessly.

Having the Ring doorbell flash the CBUS room lights for a hearing impaired client took me 10 mins to implement.

chromus, Mar 15, 2021
    Mr Mark likes this.
Ask a Question