Wiser 2 app only works on Wifi, not Cellular

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by jimmyeao, Sep 5, 2018.

1. jimmyeao

jimmyeao

Hi,
    have an odd one here...
    Port forwarding etc all set up, and I can connect remotely when on wifi from the Wiser 2 app, from pretty much any wifi network which leads me to think that everything is set up OK, but when I drop to 3G/4G I get a login timed out. Tried on a couple of devices, different phone networks, both with the same issue.
    Using Port 80, but as per the manual have set up port forwarding for 8888/8889/8080 in addition to 80.
    I can connect via a browser from any PC anywhere, AND from a browser on my mobile over cellular but NOT the app...
    Not really sure where to go from here?

Thanks in advance.

jimmyeao, Sep 5, 2018
  2. jimmyeao

Roosta

Hi, Have you enabled the use of 3G data in the wiser 2 app settings?

Roosta, Sep 6, 2018
  3. jimmyeao

jimmyeao

There are no specific settings within the app that I can see? - I have checked from iOS Cellular Data settings and the app is permitted to use cellular data.
    Also tried on Android, which does connect but doesnt show the status of scenes etc correctly when on Cellular, works fine on WIFi

jimmyeao, Sep 6, 2018
  4. jimmyeao

Roosta

I am using iOS and in setting, i scroll down to the wiser 2 app and it only has 2 options... siri / search and mobile data.. seemed like a possible simple issue fix..

However if you have tried on an android device and getting similar issues have you enabled projector control or what ever its called in the wiser project in piced ?

Roosta, Sep 6, 2018
  5. jimmyeao

jimmyeao

Hi, yes projector is enabled - have raised it up with support, lets see what they say! The fact it woks in a browser on the phone but not the app leads me to think there is either a bug somewhere, or the app is using different protocols

jimmyeao, Sep 7, 2018
  6. jimmyeao

Iconic home

I am having the same issue works fine WiFi to site but not on 3g4g using EE, not tried other providers yet. Anyone have a fix? Customer not happy.

Iconic home, Nov 21, 2018
  7. jimmyeao

Aziz

Hi I have the same issue. I get the feeling it is security related rather than port related. I believe The app works on an iPhone which is unblocked on all networks but not on iPhone that is specific to a provider. Did you manage to get a resolution?

Aziz, Dec 25, 2018
  8. jimmyeao

jimmyeao

No, I got passed around from department to department, still no resolution...

jimmyeao, Dec 25, 2018
  9. jimmyeao

Aziz

I am having same issue. EE now say it’s to do with IPV6 the wiser2 app does not work on that. Some providers such as 3 are still running ipv4 and hence it works on 3 network. Any Advice how we can get around this?

Aziz, Jan 1, 2019
  10. jimmyeao

jimmyeao

I doubt it, I’m on EE and while wiser doesn’t work all my other remote access apps that use ip4 work fine. One option (a bit fiddly) is to set up Vpn if the users router supports it or install openvpn on a raspberry pi (I did a write up on this on my blog https://www.deviousweb.com/2015/11/29/raspberry-pi-as-an-openvpn-server/ then have them set up vpn on their mobile device and configure the app to always use the internal ip address

jimmyeao, Jan 1, 2019
  11. jimmyeao

Mr Mark

I agree with jimmyeao with using VPN.
    I set up an instance of RPi VPN this morning and it took less than 1/2 hour.

Pi VPN link:
    http://www.pivpn.io/

YouTube link:

VPN client software:
    https://openvpn.net/
    Note: have used the client on iOS only so far, will install on an Android device some time this week and will let you know how it goes.

Mr Mark, Jan 1, 2019
  12. jimmyeao

Iconic home

I changed app from port 80 to 90 and it now works via EE 4g

Iconic home, Jan 6, 2019
  13. jimmyeao

haniss

It is such a shame that Clipsal still hasn't fixed this problem. I had to setup VPN server and now connect to Wiser as it would be on my LAN. I understand they stop supporting Wiser 2 now because the new controller is out ? /

haniss, May 6, 2019
  14. jimmyeao

davegarbutt

I have been having this problem for a while now on all of our sites including my house which used to work fine. I have fixed this on one job by changing the O2 carrier settings on the iphone but I am on Vodafone and can't find the answer. have got this problem on numerous sites that used to work so I do suspect it is something to do with either the mobile carrier or actual phone settings. Any ideas?

davegarbutt, Feb 14, 2021
  15. jimmyeao

chromus

Delete the app and reinstall.

The app changed and nolonger has the same App ID so updates don't fix, you need to delete and reinstall

chromus, Feb 15, 2021
  16. jimmyeao

Will

Same issues on a brand new Wiser 2 (February 2021). I'm able to connect to the Wiser 2 remotely via a browser and a DDNS. After successfully logging in, there's the Adobe Flash problem.
    iOS connects fine via WiFi then LAN to the Wiser.
    Enable Projector Control is selected.
    I've confirmed that port 80 isn't blocked by my internet provider.

I finally found the solution. It was absolutely a security issue.
    Connecting to the Wiser via WiFi, I entered the menu (top left), then under 'Settings', select 'Edit Wiser'.
    I disabled the 'Use SSL for Remote Connection' and everything connected on the next try.
    Getting it to save the SSL setting was the hardest part.

I did also mirror my DDNS settings into the Wiser (already in the router), although I don't believe that would help.

Will, Mar 10, 2021
  17. jimmyeao

chromus

Unless you have an SSL certificate you are going to give yourself all sorts of grief trying to use SSL.

This is NOT a Clipsal issue.

There are 2 issues beyond this that affect users:

1: The OLD App -> Delete it and reinstall from Appstore / PlayStore -> You can't just update as the App ID has changed and the new version solves a bunch of carrier issues.

2: Some mobile carriers block some ports, or pass your data via a bunch of proxy servers which don't always act as transparently as they are supposed to. This can't be fixed easily unless you can persuade the techs at the carrier to fix this. Note: Telstra and Optus both work fine, I haven't tested Voda but likely to be fine. The resellers are where you will run into issues.

chromus, Mar 11, 2021
  18. jimmyeao

davegarbutt

I have found that in the UK port 443 works. Found this out after trying lots of other ports and reading but it has worked on every job since touch wood.

davegarbutt, Jan 3, 2022
Ask a Question