Wiser 2 and Power Meter Widgets problem

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by glenr, Aug 8, 2021.

1. glenr

glenr

After many years of using PC based Touchscreens (via Homegate) for interacting with my home CBUS system I am now in the process of converting to a Wiser 2 Controller so that I can use iPads / Tablets for control (I have gone through 4 touchscreens over the last 10 years and it is time for a change).

Some background on the architecture:
    I have two separate networks, one for my House and one for a detached Studio.
    I have a CNI on each network.
    I have recently installed a network bridge to connect the two networks, since the Wiser 2 unit can only talk to one CNI at any time (Homegate could to talk to two or more).
    The primary network has a CNI connected, and this is what the Wiser 2 communicates with to access the (now bridged) CBUS networks.
    The Wiser 2 unit is controlling loads correctly on both networks, so the network bridge seems to be working correctly.
    It is also reading measurement data on the local (near) network OK, but not on the remote network (I still need to work out why).
    The local measurement data can be displayed on a lighting status widget OK.

An issue I am experiencing at the moment, and that I cannot seem to solve, is getting the Power Meter Widgets to work correctly for the local network measurement data.

I have set up Analogue Power Meter in the Measurement Application Manager to get a 4-20mA power meter signal (via CT at the DB) from a General Input Unit on the local network. As stated previously, the data from the GI unit tag is displaying OK on a Lighting Status Widget.
    Nothing is being displayed on Power Meter, just a value of 0 (zero).

Attached are a few screenshots of the various configuration pop-ups showing what I have done thus far.

I have probably missed a step in the configuration process, so any help would be appreciated.

I'm also wondering if using a CNI for network access has its own issues as I haven't managed to be able to connect the PICED project to the live CBUS network as yet (I keep getting errors), however I can download the project to the Wiser 2 unit OK, and as I mentioned above, it works for controlling items on both CBUS networks.

Attached Files:

glenr, Aug 8, 2021
  2. glenr

glenr

After a couple of weekends of toil I have now resolved all of the issues, and I have the power meters working correctly.
    I found multiple configuration issues which I have summarised below for those who may encounter similar problems in the future.

The first issue identified and resolved was with the Measurement Application Manager configuration.

I found out from Application Logs (Toolkit and Diagnostics) that the Measurement Application has Application ID 228. This is important to note, as will be explained further on (in relation to the 2nd issue resolved).

From the logs I observed the regular broadcast of measurement data from the General Input Unit (extract below).

DateTime= 14/08/2021 13:54:23.470 App= 228 Measurement Group= 004 Unit= 010 PC_GIM/NEWUNIT Event= Device 4, Unit 10, Channel 0 - Value: 164 Amps

Looking at the log data I noticed that the Device ID and Unit ID's were different. I had set the Measurement Application to match the Unit ID, as per the Wiser 2 user/programming manual (which states that for the Measurement Application configuration the Device ID is usually the Unit ID).

As this obviously was not working I quickly deduced that I needed to change the Device ID in the Measurement Application Manager to match the GI Unit configuration. I did this and data started to be read OK.

Given I have two General Input units on two separate networks I decided to change the Unit configuration on both units (via Toolkit) to give them unique Measurement Application Device ID's.

For a General Input Unit there is a setting (in Toolkit) under the 'Global' tab where you set the 'Measurement Application Device ID'. See attachment for 'Global' tab information. The default Device ID is 4 from what I can gather as I had not changed this setting since they were originally programmed. Once this was set to a nominated value, and the Measurement Application ID in Wiser (via PICED) was set to the same value for the particular data being read, data started to be read correctly (for the local network at this point).

So, in summary for this issue, once the Measurement Application Device IDs were corrected and aligned between the actual General Input Unit and the PICED configuration, data was being read OK.

The was for data on the local network, but there was still no measurement data being read from the remote network.

The second issue resolved, relating to networks, I'll cover in the next post.

Attached Files:

glenr, Aug 21, 2021
  3. glenr

glenr

As previously stated in my original post, as part of the implementation of the Wiser 2 unit I needed to install and configure a Network Bridge to allow the two networks to talk to each other.

I configured the Network Bridge on both sides (Near and Far, and from both networks) with the applicable Unit ID's and the Lighting control worked OK.

The Wiser 2 unit was able to control lights on each network, but was not reading measurement data from the remote network.

I went into the Network Bridge Unit configuration (in Toolkit) and on the 'Connection' Tab saw that you could connect applications (from a drop down list), and send messages between networks, by setting the 'Send to adjacent network' checkbox in the 'Message Destination' box (to the right of the 'Connect Applications' box). See attached screenshot of Network Bridge configuration tab.

When I tried to select the Measurement Application (Application 228) from the drop-down list it was not shown, which was both disappointing and very problematic as it turns out. This meant that the only real option I had was to select 'All Networks' so that the Measurement Application data could be broadcast on the adjacent network.

I selected 'All Networks' and 'Send to adjacent network' and saved the configuration in the Network Bridge and the measurement data could now be seen appearing on the remote network.

However, as the Lighting Application IDs were set to the same ID on both networks (which were originally programmed completely separately) this was also going to potentially cause issues with Group IDs on one network turning on Group IDs on the adjacent network (due to the broadcasting of data).

As a result, and after encountering the exact problem described in the previous paragraph with Group ID on one network turning items on the other network, I ended up having to reprogram the Units on the smaller (with the least number of units) network to have a different Lighting Application ID for all Units. I did this via Toolkit on the Database entries then rolled out the changes in bulk to the actual Units.

This had a flow-on effect obviously to the Wiser 2 configuration in that it too had to be updated to reflect the change in the Lighting ID. I updated the CBUS Tags data, and then worked through all of the Widget configurations for the smaller network items and update the Lighting Application ID information.

Once this was done and the configuration downloaded to the Wiser 2 unit, all worked as it should.

Lots of lessons learnt through the troubleshooting and resolution process.

I hope the above information helps anyone else who might encounter issues with Measurement Applications and Power Meters.

Attached Files:

glenr, Aug 21, 2021
Ask a Question