Wiser 2 and Dry Contacts for AC

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wiser 2 Controller' started by thereisnoneed, Jan 22, 2018.

1. thereisnoneed

thereisnoneed

Hi Guys,

First post, you guys are an amazing resource so i am hoping you can help.

I have a wiser 2 and CBUS all installed and working great. We have 4 x Ac units that are connected via dry contacts to a voltage free relay.

i have my wiser 2 all setup so i can turn the AC on and Off via the mobile App.

My questions is if i turn the AC units on using the wall control i want wiser to know the unit is on and reflect it accordingly in the app.

Basically the app always says the units are off regardless of weather the units are on or off.

if i use the app to turn them on then it displays on and off appropriately.

I am not sure if this is possible as i know dry contacts are a pretty simple setup. Unfortunately this was the only way i could control my AC via CBUS.

i would really appreciate your advice and I hope this all makes sense.

Thanks,

thereisnoneed, Jan 22, 2018
  2. thereisnoneed

znelbok

First thought is to use an Aux input module (4 channels) that is connected tot he A/C and detects that it is on (relay closes when A/C is on) which in turn turns on the group in C-Bus to indicate it is on.

znelbok, Jan 22, 2018
  3. thereisnoneed

DarylMc

@thereisnoneed
    You should mention exactly the equipment and interfaces you have.

I've used some Daikin interface boards KRP413 to get on off control of some splits.
    There is a few control options for those boards and rather than instantaneous contact to pulse the state I use the normal contact setup.
    Relay closed the AC is on, open it is off.
    This stops the Daikin IR remote from having on off control but CBus is aware of the state.

I imagine some other major AC brands can also supply an automation add on card for their AC units.

There is also products from https://coolautomation.com which you might find interesting.

DarylMc, Jan 22, 2018
  4. thereisnoneed

DarylMc

The Daikin KRP413 also looks to have the option to output a run signal if you wanted to add that to CBus and use the instantaneous input method.
    That would have been a nicer way for me to do it but honestly it works really well in practice.

The best people to ask and learn what is possible for your AC is the manufacturer.
    If you provide your interface details maybe someone here can make suggestions for the implementation.

DarylMc, Jan 22, 2018
  5. thereisnoneed

jboer

jboer, Jan 23, 2018
  6. thereisnoneed

znelbok

You would think so but in my experience, that is rarely the case. Most are so closed shop, hiding their products behind NDA's or just not willing to let out any information at all. I honesty can't understand why, they must all be very misguided. Even had the same issue with a garage door opener that has a serial interface. "Oh we cant tell you anything because we like secrets" - dumb-ass manufacturers

znelbok, Jan 23, 2018
  7. thereisnoneed

Ashley

You could use a 5504CMU current measuring unit. If the units have separate feeds you could install it near the board and monitor all 4 units with the one device. It could even tell you how hard the units are operating.

Ashley, Jan 23, 2018
Ask a Question