Wiring IXL Neo Single for CBus

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by allanf, Nov 10, 2017.

1. allanf

allanf

Has anyone wired IXL Tastic Neo Single (https://goo.gl/AyWK49) with CBus?
    There seems to be quite a bit of smarts within the Neo Single unit itself and am wondering if anyone has correctly wired this using CBus and can post some details along with wiring information in the Unit as well a the CBus side of things.

I have provision of 3 Relay channels that are going directly to the unit for Light, Heat and Fan.

allanf, Nov 10, 2017
  2. allanf

Ashley

There is nothing really smart about these. The installation guide shows the circuit. It just has a thermal switch to keep the fan on if the device is > 55deg, and a cut out if the temp goes above 80. Just wire the 3 relays in place of the 3 switches. Make sure you have the isolating switch feeding power to the relays.

Ashley, Nov 10, 2017
    allanf likes this.
  3. allanf

Ashley W

It's not just the Neo's that have the thermal switch. All Tasitics with heat lamps (well for the past few years anyway) have the thermal switch.

BTW reviews of the NEO are not overly complimentary, they were enough for me to go Classic when I built new house 18 months back.

Ashley W, Nov 11, 2017
    allanf likes this.
  4. allanf

allanf

Is is possible for someone to provide a C-Bus wiring topology for the IXL. Ideally on marked on the wiring diagram that IXL provides.
    (I have attached the 240v switch wiring diagram.)

Attached Files:

allanf, Nov 11, 2017
  5. allanf

znelbok

It appears there is some switching logic involved here. I know with mine that I put in about 15 years ago that the fan must be one when the heat light was on so I had to put logic in place to make that happen automatically.

Have a go at working out the circuit and the logic involved and then you will be able to put it together with three relays and some basic logic in the relay itself.

znelbok, Nov 13, 2017
  6. allanf

NickD Moderator

I have a two IXL Neo Singles on C-Bus in different bathrooms.

They are wired with a permanent active, and 3 separate switched/dimmed actives to the heat, light, and fan (I have the light on a dimmer and the other two on relay channels). The way the internal wiring of the unit works is that the permanent active along with the thermal switch ensures that the fan comes on to cool the unit if it gets too hot.

If you feel like it, you could put some logic in your system such that the fan always comes on if the heat amp is on.

As far as the performance goes... the fan is good as long as you do the ducting well. The heat is nowhere near as good as a 4 x 375W old school one, but still good enough for winter in the Adelaide Hills. The GU10 LEDs that it came with were not dimmable (flashed like mad on a dimmer channel even when on).

Nick

NickD, Nov 14, 2017
    allanf likes this.
  7. allanf

allanf

@NickD, Thanks, Based on your comment I might permanently turn the fan on when the heat lamp comes on to be on the safe side.

allanf, Nov 20, 2017
  8. allanf

znelbok

That makes the job much more simple as well. No logic engine required, only logic within the relay

znelbok, Nov 21, 2017
    allanf likes this.
  9. allanf

allanf

I spoke to the IXL Product manager and suggested they include instructions/diagram for how to wire and configure the units when using in a C-Bus environment. Hope they take it onboard.

allanf, Nov 21, 2017
  10. allanf

Ashley

Be aware that from the wiring diagram turning on the down lights turns off the heat lamp. This is probably to protect the lights (I assume they are leds) from over heating. You will need to take this into consideration.

Ashley, Nov 21, 2017
  11. allanf

NickD Moderator

I had missed/forgotten that interlocking.. actually it's the other way round though.. you can only turn on the heat lamp if the lights are off.

Something more to add in logic.... although that one will have to be in the logic engine. Something to think about for future output unit logic...

Nick

NickD, Nov 22, 2017
  12. allanf

Ashley

Actually it's the same way around :). Personally I would have wired it up so turning on the heat lamps turned off the down lights.

A NOT option would have been handy.

Ashley, Nov 22, 2017
  13. allanf

allanf

Just making sure I have set this up correctly as per the discussion
    PWA - TripleLED's
    PWB - Exhaust Fan
    PWC - Heat Lamp

Key 2 (Scene 1) : LED On / Force Heat Off
    Key 4 (Scene 2) : Heat + Exhaust On / LED Off
    Key 6 (Scene 3) : LED, Heat & Exhaust Off

upload_2017-11-22_16-50-25.png

allanf, Nov 22, 2017
  14. allanf

NickD Moderator

Lol.. right you are... funny how despite looking at it twice to check I was right I didn't think of it the opposite way around :)

Yes.. something to keep in mind for future product.... given the trouble people have getting their heads around the existing logic it would have to be presented in a simpler manner though..

Nick

NickD, Nov 23, 2017
  15. allanf

znelbok

While it would be great to see it in a future product, the fact that firmware can't be updated would mean that there would be a crap load of units without the option.

znelbok, Nov 23, 2017
Ask a Question