Wiring IXL fan, heater, lamp unit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Graham Hobbs, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Graham Hobbs

Graham Hobbs

What is the best approach to wiring the heater exhaust fan - IXL type to C-bus. These units are usually plug connected to a ceiling GPO as per AS/NZ rules. They also must have a live active permanantely connected to the unit in case the temperature goes above 80deg C so the fan will be forced on to cool the unit. I can see that there would be three c-bus channels required for the heat lamps, down lamp, and fan all separately switched, not sure how you would handle the permanant active?/ nor how you would isolate the three channels near the fan in order to comply?
    Regards

Graham Hobbs

Graham Hobbs, Jan 18, 2011
  2. Graham Hobbs

znelbok

I don't have my rules handy and I have not done one for a few years, but what is it in the rules that states that it must use a GPO.

As for the permanently live active to keep it cool, I believe what is to be achieved here is that the fan be on whenever the heating lamps are on.

I achieved this by using the logic in the C-Bus relay, so that whenever wither of the lamps were on the fan had to be on.

This does not work if there is a thermostat in the unit controlling a cooling fan (which makes sense if a permanent active is required), but that wont make a difference to the operation [via C-bus] either.

The C-bus relay just replaces the three switches on the wall in basic terms which I am sure you know.

As for isolation the three channels, a three phase switch will do it - but finding one that is aesthetically acceptable is the challenge. That is one rule I need to re-visit as I was not aware of it for 3-in-1's. I would assume that it is required on the heating lamps only, so a two pole switch is all that would be needed in that case.

Not much help, sorry, I need to check the actual statements in the rules and understand how the unit is wired to give a definitive answer.

Mick

znelbok, Jan 18, 2011
  3. Graham Hobbs

71monaro

This would be a common request, myself included. Would it be possible for someone to do a small diagram of what is required to enable this, if not already done, and place it as a sticky with a link in this thread.

71monaro, Jan 19, 2011
  4. Graham Hobbs

zhangshuai1012

ulti 232

I have the same confusion,I recently used ulti 232.I have read a lot of documentation,But do not know how to turn off the automatic feedback.

zhangshuai1012, Jan 20, 2011
  5. Graham Hobbs

znelbok

Can someone send me a pdf copy of the wiring instructions and I will attempt a how-to

Mick

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2011
    znelbok, Jan 21, 2011
  6. Graham Hobbs

71monaro

here is one link to a wiring diagram, unsure of variations between brands.
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/SunHeat/SHMINI.pdf

I found a quote 'The only wiring to an IXL is earth, neutral, and a switched active per light, fan and pair of heat lamps. (3 in total)
    Any thermo switch should be connected internally. The IXL has a terminal strip with each termination clearly marked for dummies.'

otherwise have not purchased yet (some brands may be easier to interface than others which will help my decision when I purchase.

71monaro, Jan 22, 2011
  7. Graham Hobbs

Charlie Crackle

the new IXL tastics are more compex that this.

there are two thermostats. 1) to cut the power if over X degrees
    2) to turn on the FAN is over X degrees. (this is what the active is)

If I find some instructions I will post.

Note also the center light has gone compat fluro as well.

Charlie Crackle, Jan 22, 2011
  8. Graham Hobbs

Daniel1985

Wiring IXL's

i Dont know how you would be able to use a gpo to plug in an IXL. All IXL's are hard wired except for the fan motors if they are ducted. What we do is have Acitve, Neutral, and earth supply to the IXL with 3 or 4 switch wires coming from the C-Bus relays. (make sure Active, neutral, and earth is on the same lighting circuit as the Switch wires are, or the safety switch will trip due to intermixed circuits. This will give you an active to run the fan when the IXL gets to hot. In the terminal strip there is a fan out. You can either cut off the plug and hard with the fan into the IXL or run a Twin and Earth out of the IXL and put a surface socket on it. Works for us. As for isolating the supply to the channels on the c-bus, whats wrong with turning of the circuit breaker?

Daniel1985, Jan 23, 2011
  9. Graham Hobbs

Ashley W

Not sure what the rules are in Aus, but in the UK for example an isolating switch needs to be provided near the fan, so a circuit breaker isn't an acceptable substitute.

Ashley W, Jan 23, 2011
Ask a Question