Wiring Input Switches (Newbie)

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wired Hardware' started by kayes006, Sep 15, 2007.

1. kayes006

kayes006

I am very new to cbus and looking at retro-fitting into existing house. I will get an electrician to do the work, but wanted to do some planning first.

Are there any resources/documentation that explain how to run the chus cable to input units?

I understand the cbus is a parallel network. I read some where that tree and star combinations are allowed.

Q. Is it necessary to run two cat5 pink cables to every switch, one into the switch and the other out on to the next input/output unit?

I ask because I may have problems getting two runs of cat5 pink from the ceiling void down to each switch, I know I can get one run down? Is it possible to branch off the main cbus run in the ceiling void down to each switch with a single cable?

Sorry to ask what will seem a simple question to the experts.

kayes006, Sep 15, 2007
  2. kayes006

ashleigh Moderator

Have a look on the CIS web site www.clipsal.com/cis

There are technical documents available there.

Tree and star are Ok. Just no more than 1km total cable per network. Two runs into the switch makes the wiring easy but if you can't make the cable runs fit, then a single drop down to the switch from the ceiling will be fine.

Just be very careful about your cutting and joining of cable. 99% of all problems come down to basic electrical things like the electrons not being able to jump the gap :)

I ask because I may have problems getting two runs of cat5 pink from the ceiling void down to each switch, I know I can get one run down? Is it possible to branch off the main cbus run in the ceiling void down to each switch with a single cable?

ashleigh, Sep 15, 2007
  3. kayes006

kayes006

kayes006, Oct 4, 2007
Ask a Question