Wiring for existing 2-way switches

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by alvyalvy, Aug 10, 2012.

1. alvyalvy

alvyalvy

Hi, I have a pair of 2 way switches in my staircase that control some lights. I intend to wireless c-bus the whole house, but i'm stuck with how i can replace these 2-way switches with the wireless switches? For each switch, there are 3 cables:

Switch A) Live, common 1 and common 2
    Switch B) Load, common 1 and common 2

Can anyone point out how i can still achieve 2-way switching by replacing the existing switches with 2 units of 1-channel wireless c-bus switches? From cbus-shop.com, the documentation specifically warn against using the wireless c-bus switches for 2-way setup without modifications? What modifications will these be?

anyone?

alvyalvy, Aug 10, 2012
  2. alvyalvy

Darren Senior Member

You need to wire one Wireless C-Bus device to actually control the load and have the other just send messages to the first one.

The trick is how to power the second unit because it gets its power via the load. The easiest way is to use an appropriately rated capacitor as a dummy load. I don't recall what the right capacitor details are. Someone else might be able to provide this detail.

Darren, Aug 11, 2012
  3. alvyalvy

Htnut

The easiest way to do this is to arrange the wiring so you have the load and live at switch location 1. You use a normal wireless switch here. At the second location you use a free locate switch and programmatically link the 2 switches

Htnut, Aug 11, 2012
  4. alvyalvy

Darren Senior Member

This is the "correct" way to solve the problem. I forgot about the free-locate switch.

Darren, Aug 12, 2012
  5. alvyalvy

ashleigh Moderator

If you have 2 gang switches at each location it easy - just wire them so one switch at each location controls a load and link the other gang wirelessly.

ashleigh, Aug 12, 2012
Ask a Question