Wiring dali ballasts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kelly, Aug 14, 2009.

1. kelly

kelly

(I have since read some of the old posts on this subject but am interested what others are doing)

I have been wondering what is the proper way to wire a installation with DALI ballasts. I have previously intructed the install electricians to hard wire a permanent 240V at the ballast terminals. I have also worked in a building where some of the ballasts are also relay switched which can be a bit painful when programming a new ballast because you have to check that all relays are on in all meeeting rooms and offices before starting. Also ballast losses are an issue as I tong tested a circuit today when lights were OFF with .5A loss per 30 ballasts when lights are off. Over a large multi story this could be a bit of an issue for building managers trying to conform to Green Star Ratings. What is the recomended way and how are people setting up thier DALI installations.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2009
    kelly, Aug 14, 2009
  2. kelly

Lucky555

Kelly,

Good quality DALI ballasts should use 0.5Watt in the off state, this would contribute to about 15 watts of standby power consumption not the 100 or so watts which you are detecting ie 0.5amp @ 240v.

How sensitive is your tong device, can it measure down to 0.1amp ?

If the tong is sensitive enough I would be looking for other devices that are drawing power from your light cct.

For wiring the CMS product is very popular for installations large and small...
    http://www.cabman.com/list.php?pid=47

Lucky555, Aug 15, 2009
  3. kelly

samluo

5A loss per 30 ballasts when lights are off.
    May be not 5A but 5 Watts then I will believe,or your ballast will soon catch fire and burnt as it need to dissipate about 30watts of heat when the lamp is off.
    I am manufacturer of DALI ballasts I can tell you DALI ballasts only consume about 0.2Watts when in OFF status.

samluo, Nov 3, 2009
  4. kelly

kelly

It was 0.5 A and Im not to sure how accurate my Tong is

kelly, May 28, 2010
  5. kelly

samluo

even 0.5A then each ballast consume 3 watts when off, what bad ballasts you used? maybe it is 0.05A, then I will not surprise.

samluo, Jun 8, 2010
Ask a Question