Wireless Switches and Bathroom Fans

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by P2T, Aug 1, 2009.

1. P2T

P2T

Hi Guys (and Girls?),

New poster here - long time reader - thanks for all the advice so far!

In the final stages of planning a C-Bus wireless implementation for my new home (under construction) - just wondering how to tackle the issue of exhaust fans in the bathroom...

Obviously I cannot use a dimmer switch for these, and yet I cannot see any switches which have 1 dimmer output (for lights) and 1 relay output (for exhaust fan) - the only way forward I can think of is to wire the exhaust fan to a spare relay point in another part of the house and then use the spare button on the bathroom's wireless switch to control this (on/off).

Am I missing anything here - can somebody confirm that I am on the right track? Happy to post up my electrical plan when its finished if that will help.

Thanks and Regards,
    P2T

P2T, Aug 1, 2009
  2. P2T

Htnut

If you home is new I would recommend that you put in a wired rather than a wireless system. Wireless systems are meant for retrofits and there is limited range between the first and last switch. This range is also construction dependent so it is hard to predict

Htnut, Aug 2, 2009
  3. P2T

ashleigh Moderator

You mean something like a bathroom exhaust fan?

You can run one of those off a dimmer. Suggest a 2 ch dimmer - one for a light, one for the fan. Should be OK.

ashleigh, Aug 2, 2009
  4. P2T

P2T

Thanks Guys - glad to hear that I can use the wireless dimmer for the bathroom exhaust fan.

Does it make any difference using leading-edge or trailing edge for this purpose?

Is it possible to 'disable' the dimmer channel - so that it just turns on/off?

Although the house is a new construction the C-Bus will be fitted after completion and hence why I am leaning towards wireless (with a small wired network as well) at this stage.

Thanks
    P2T

P2T, Aug 3, 2009
  5. P2T

NickD Moderator

A fan motor is an inductive load, so a leading edge dimmer would be more appropriate.

You can set a minimum value of 100%.. this will make it come on at 100% no matter what level you set.

You can actually use the dimmer to control the fan speed if you want... and there is even a "Fan Control" dimming curve in the wireless gear, which raises the minimum level so that the fan starts up.

Nick

NickD, Aug 3, 2009
  6. P2T

P2T

Thanks for this info NickD.

So I need to use a LE dimmer in my bathrooms and thus also need 240V lights as opposed to LV lights... bugger...

Clipsal Gurus - is there any roadmap to include universal dimmers into the C-Bus wireless switches? Would make sense (from an outsider's perspective) and rationalise the product catalogue...

P2T, Aug 14, 2009
  7. P2T

NickD Moderator

You could use iron core transformers for your LV lights... they are less efficient than electronic transformers, but probably more reliable (as long as they have sufficient ventiliation).

Nick

NickD, Aug 17, 2009
  8. P2T

KevinH

Is the switch mounted inside the bathroom - and if so do you have regulations in Aus about mains wired switches in this area ?

In the UK you would not be able to place a C-Bus wireless switch within the bathroom - unless it was battery operated ;-)

K

KevinH, Aug 19, 2009
  9. P2T

NickD Moderator

We do, however we have various zones in which different types of devices may or may not be placed.

It is quite normal to have normal mains light switches in a bathroom, however there are restrictions on *where* in the bathroom they can be placed.

Nick

NickD, Aug 19, 2009
  10. P2T

adgilcan

True but the regs. are VERY restrictive!

What I am doing is to use a pneumatic switch to a relay in the roof space which can then be wired to C-Bus.

RS supplies cheap pneumatic switches for this.

Hope this helps.

Duncan

adgilcan, Oct 15, 2010
  11. P2T

ecenur

leading edge dimmer would be a better option here as mentioned earlier. But I would go with wired installation its more reliable (my opinion)

ecenur, Nov 4, 2010
Ask a Question