Wireless remote buttons and plug adaptor

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by pbelectrical, Feb 16, 2012.

1. pbelectrical

pbelectrical

Hi all, it is late and I might just be missing something simple. I have an existing installation utilising a wireless remote to control loads on a wired network, through a wireless plug adaptor and a wireless gateway. Everything is working fine, however when first set up the customer only used the first 5 buttons to control loads. They now wish to control an additional 5 loads/group addresses with the other 5 buttons (via the shift key). I can only see how to program 8 buttons through the GUI and not 10, am I missing something or is 8 the limit, if so why 10 buttons.

PS. there is nothing physically plugged into the adaptor it is only there as a means of talking to the wireless gateway.

Thanks,

Peter.

pbelectrical, Feb 16, 2012
  2. pbelectrical

ashleigh Moderator

It has been a long time but I'm pretty sure you can do all the buttons from the remote.

When you open the plug adaptor GUI in Toolkit, click the "Remotes" tab.

When I do this using TK 1.11.4, I see 2 groups, each of 2 columns.

One of those groups is "Remote Keys" and the other is "Remote Shift Keys", and each of those allows remote keys (/shift remote keys) 1..5.

ashleigh, Feb 17, 2012
  3. pbelectrical

pbelectrical

Thanks Ashleigh,

When assigning the remote keys and the remote shift keys you are only given the option of 1 - 8 and in the main GUI there only 8 buttons available to assign group adressess.

pbelectrical, Feb 17, 2012
  4. pbelectrical

ashleigh Moderator

Ah yes... sorry... understand now.

This is because you have 8 blocks available at any one time (from the 16 that are there).

Whats going on is that you have 2 buttons on the plug adaptor, and 6 "virtual" buttons. There are a further set of 8 non-available buttons because are allocated to a 2nd key set.

Offhand, I don't think there is a solution.

ashleigh, Feb 17, 2012
  5. pbelectrical

Newman

If you are only using the Plug Adaptor to link the remote to the gateway then there may be a better solution.

The hand held remote can be linked to the wired C-Bus network by linking it directly to a C-Bus Wireless Gateway that is configured in 'Remote Switch' mode, which is available in Wireless Gateways running wireless-side firmware 2.3.0 or newer. If your wireless-side firmware is 1.x.x then this feature is not available.

When put in this mode the Gateway stops working as a regular Wireless Gateway and allows remotes to be linked directly to it. The Wireless Gateway shows up as a separate wireless network in Toolkit independent of other existing wireless gateways/networks. In this mode the Wireless Gateway allows up to 8 remotes to be linked to it and each of the remote buttons can be individually configured.

Button functions that are available in the Wireless Gateway using this method are Group Dimmer (Toggle Dimmer), Scene Set or Scene Toggle and you do not have the 8 block/group restriction.

Newman, Feb 20, 2012
  6. pbelectrical

pbelectrical

Thanks for the replies, the gateway firmware is 1.11.0 so it looks like unless they want to upgrade to a newer one they are stuck with their 8 buttons. I'll let them know and they can take it from there.

pbelectrical, Feb 21, 2012
Ask a Question