Wireless Plug adaptor switching on and off

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by jonnoh, May 4, 2014.

1. jonnoh

jonnoh

Hi, I am having a problem with a wireless plug adaptor. I am the owner of the house and am trying to avoid getting someone out to have a look at it (!). It had been working fine, but for no reason has decided when switched on from the wall plate to only switch on for a few seconds, then switch off for around 10 seconds, then on and so on. The switch LEDs flash intermittently briefly when it switches off, and the LED on the wall plate blinks steadily. After a few minutes the wall plate LED goes off altogether, but the plug adaptor keeps cycling. Any idea what the problem may be? It has been working fine for now until now.

Thanks. Jon.

jonnoh, May 4, 2014
  2. jonnoh

DarylMc

DarylMc, May 4, 2014
  3. jonnoh

jonnoh

Its a relay version, only acts as a switch. It was working fine, but has now only just started behaving as described which I find a little strange..!

jonnoh, May 5, 2014
  4. jonnoh

ashleigh Moderator

For how long has it been working fine?
    Years?

If thats the case then it sounds like something in the plug adaptor has failed.

The indicators will give a happy little blinking dancing cycle when the power is turned on (to the plug adaptor on its input side).

If you are seeing that happen when it is commanded to do somethign, then it indicates the internal microprocessor has rebooted.

There can be lots of underlying causes for that, but in the main it means something in the unit aint quite what it used to be - ie most likely some kind of component failure.

How old is the unit? These entered production around 2004, I'd expect your unit to be >5 years old.

ashleigh, May 5, 2014
  5. jonnoh

zei20t

I had a similar issue with one also, reset back to factory, and then re-setup again it hasn't been a problem since.

zei20t, May 6, 2014
  6. jonnoh

ashleigh Moderator

Definitely worth trying that as a first step.

ashleigh, May 6, 2014
  7. jonnoh

jonnoh

Thanks everyone. It's only a little more than 3 years old, and has worked fine until now. I agree perhaps it needs a reset or something, will call clipsal and see what they say.....

jonnoh, May 6, 2014
  8. jonnoh

jonnoh

Fixed

I am just letting people know that I spoke to Clipsal regarding this problem. They agree that is seems to be a hardware fault, and suggested that a common problem was failure of the 220nf mains filter capacitor. I changed this and now it is working fine.

jonnoh, May 10, 2014
  9. jonnoh

ashleigh Moderator

Interesting - thanks for letting us know.

EDIT: If thats the cap across the terminals, make sure replacement is rated for direct mains application.

ashleigh, May 11, 2014
  10. jonnoh

jonnoh

Ashleigh, yes Polypropylene 275V I think is the go. Thanks Jon.

jonnoh, May 12, 2014
  11. jonnoh

ashleigh Moderator

Yeah needs to be a X or Y (I can't remember which) mains rated safety / self healing type.

I think what you have sounds about right. I'm sure you can get them from Jaycar at the cost about 3 arms and a leg.

ashleigh, May 16, 2014
Ask a Question