Wireless NIRT

Discussion in 'Infrared (NIRT, IR Reader) and CIRCA' started by wappinghigh, Sep 26, 2009.

1. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Can't seem to find the Conformist thread asking for ideas for new products, so I'll put it here...:)

I'd really love a wireless NIRT..mainly for IR control of that hard to get at equipment (say mounted on solid walls)....I'm thinking particularly of Split system airconditioners, projectors, flatscreeens mounted onto solid walls, or for AV gear that happen to be beyond the range of a 2 meter IR lead, powered subwoofers that need to be a long way separated from the primary gear etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2009
    wappinghigh, Sep 26, 2009
  2. wappinghigh

Newman

If the issue is primarily one of IR emitter lead length, they can be extended provided that the right sort of cable is used. Page 7 of the Installation Instructions states that they can be extended up to 50m provided that the cable capacitance doesn't exceed 10nF (so don't use figure-8 cable for example). The easiest way to do this is to make up an extension lead out of some spare Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable.

The point about being able to freely install them anywhere is still a valid one. The main issue to overcome would be meeting the necessary safety and isolation requirements for the emitter leads from a mains-powered NIRT.

Newman, Sep 27, 2009
  3. wappinghigh

Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden, Sep 27, 2009
  4. wappinghigh

Newman

Frank

I've done the same using some off-the-shelf optos and a bit of vero board. :)

Newman, Sep 27, 2009
  5. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

Thanks...but what if you don't "tinker"

Yeh. this sort of thing is all very well...but if you or your installer doesn't "tinker": you are stuck!

Everything is going well automating my place, but I'm let down at the final hour by split system aircon control. I simple can't run any sort of wire to the IR area required on the wall.

I've tried an IR blaster, but this was unreliable.

I'm after a cbus product like this! :D

see http://www.globalcache.com/news/pr-itachrelease.html

wappinghigh, Sep 28, 2009
  6. wappinghigh

NickD Moderator

I don't get it... if you can't get any sort of wire to it... how does this help you... you still need power for it?

Nick

NickD, Sep 29, 2009
  7. wappinghigh

wappinghigh

...off the indoor air con unit...

wappinghigh, Sep 29, 2009
Ask a Question