Wireless gateway query

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by i-Home, Aug 8, 2008.

1. i-Home

i-Home

Is it possible to have 9 separate wired networks all using wireless gateways to communicate with each other?

We're looking to have a number of wired input & output units fitted in existing apartment blocks and then link each block to the next and finally to the landlord's residence for central control from a ctouch. Should this work?

Regards

Stephen

i-Home, Aug 8, 2008
  2. i-Home

zip_cool

from the logic, it can be done, but there will be a complicated job.. beside using wireless gateway, there also must be a wireless unit/ module.. cause the wireless gateway can't talk each other..

the gouping and address must be done carefully..
    the pseudoce is something look like this..

wired Cbus (a) send a command through wireless gateway(a) to a wireless unit (a) then from wireless unit a, it's trigger or forwarding the command to wired network (B), and so on..

maybe in my thought, there is easier, if we have a logic unit like PACA..

please described what you want to do...

Thanks..

zip_cool, Aug 8, 2008
  3. i-Home

Darpa

You could always put in a normal 802.11 wireless LAN, put a CNI in each apartment, attached to a wireless bridge :p

Darpa, Aug 8, 2008
  4. i-Home

tobex

I would recommend going to a MESH network which knits together all available nodes.

You start with a structure B-Class network such as this

192.168.x.y which X changes in each site (y = wireless emitter address)
    255.255.0.0 subnet mask

Then you lay over that a MESH upgrade in the software.

It then forms a contiguous network with a span of over 5km radius from each node.

I recommend you speak to

www.ubnt.com
    www.airlive.com

http://www.ubnt.com/purchase/europe.php

My contact in the Netherlands is quite happy to explain to you how they did the Norway to North UK trans-ocean wireless link.

Twilight Engineering
    Jacques Urlusstraat 37
    7558 JV Hengelo, Netherlands
    +31-74-2777176

If your nodes are 5km apart or less you can attain a rate of 100mbps with LAN speed.

Thats the networking. Whether or not it works depends on whether or the time delay is acceptable. Timeouts, packet integrity and tuning for delays are really important as retry messages are what clog a request.

If it works on a LAN based network it can made to operate wireless without any major differences but 'ping' times are very important to understanding how the software works. You can then tune your keypress codes and debounce times to take into account the distances.

You can pretty much do anything !

For the wireless part (no labour included) allow something like 300Euro per building plus any special equipment at the 'master' location. Incidentally there are some very clever ways to also expand this wireless control to function as WiFi for the whole district. Might be something to keep in mind as we approach saturation levels of internet demand.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2008
    tobex, Aug 9, 2008
  5. i-Home

ashleigh Moderator

You have not mentioned distances involved.

It sounds like you want to hop in and out of each building and network - this would make a topology thats 9 levels deep. Cbus supports 6.

By careful consideration of the distances involved and the topology you set up, and extreme care, this may be possible but I would not recommend it. Using the wireless LAN suggestions is probably a better way to go.

Cbus Wireless is really designed for in-building use in clusters.

ashleigh, Aug 10, 2008
  6. i-Home

tobex

The wireless topology is one LAN. The LAN associated with each of the nine buildings is the same lan as the wireless lan - that is the purpose of B-class addressing. The bridge only wants route tp a different sub-net but sees the entire lan as one lan as the subnet mask is 16bit not 24bit.

Thus each LAN to C-Bus node is on the same lan as the buildings and can be ping / routed from any location in any building.

Do I assume that C-Bus can only address 6 LAN nodes ? I have never tried doing that so I wouldnt know.

eg.
    LAN 1 192.168.1.254
    LAN 2 192.168.2.254

Subnet mask in all cases

Via a bridge these are all one LAN but different sub-nets.

The limit of distance is the horizon and the selection of equipment. Up till now there has been no problem with 10km.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
    tobex, Aug 10, 2008
  7. i-Home

ashleigh Moderator

I was describing the nature of the cbus addressing and network routing (and quoting the original post which asked about using cbus wireless).

Designing a wireless LAN system is a different matter which I'm not qualified to comment on.

ashleigh, Aug 10, 2008
  8. i-Home

tobex

The way I looked at it was that C-Bus has ethernet bridges from C-Bus to Ethernet and that could be extended wirelessly. I never looked at the C-Bus wireless products or using those as a bridge.

You would have to think that C-bus will get pushed to the limit with wireless ethernet links between two networks of any kind. I think the latency will push 15ms. The distance isnt a problem as those are easily covered at the speed of light.

Does anyone know if 15ms or more is acceptable ?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2008
    tobex, Aug 10, 2008
Ask a Question