Wireless gateway problems

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by froop, Jun 9, 2009.

1. froop

froop

Hi all,
    I've just added a wireless gateway, 2 gang plug adapter, and a wireless remote to my existing wired network, and I'm seeing a few strange things communicating to the devices using Toolkit. Is anyone able to offer some advice?

Vital stats;
    Toolkit v1.10.4
    Wired network Power - 726mA used of 1000mA supply
    Impedence 2034 ohms.
    Units - 43 (w/o wireless gateway)
    1 Burden required (PCI has burden active)

And here's what I do;
    1. Open my wired network (254).
    2. Scan Network, it finds the wireless gateway.
    3. Right-click the GATEWLSN, re-address to 253.
    4. If I double-click it, it starts "Loading Unit Data from Network", then fails with an error "Readon: Could not get programming parameters".
    5. I can still "Make a New Network", wihich seems to work okay, even though when "Transferring programming to Database", it fails at 19%, with "Transfer of programming information failed for unit type GATEWSLN at address 253.

If I try and repeat this process, sometimes it can find the gateway on network 253, sometimes it can't. The stats on my wired network show an impedence of 0 ohms after finding the wireless gateway. The wireless gateway is daisy-chained between a CNI and a PCI, and I've switched patch leads just in case.

Any clues?

Thanks,
    Mark.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
    froop, Jun 9, 2009
  2. froop

ashleigh Moderator

so, you cant open the wired side of the gateway?

can you please scroll the tk network view over to the right as far as possible. you will see there a column for firmware version. (which you can also get if you can open the unit GUI - but you can't so we need it this way).

Can you pleae tell us what version of firmware is running in the wired side of the gateway?

ashleigh, Jun 9, 2009
  3. froop

froop

Correct.

Firmware 4.6.00

froop, Jun 9, 2009
  4. froop

froop

On the odd occassion I have also noticed in the C-Gate console window the following messages when doing network scans:

and
    I can't reliably reproduce these errors, but if I unplug the wireless gateway I cannot reproduce them at all.

Bit more progress. I managed to scan the wireless network, and it found the gateway and the plug adapter. I managed to talk to enough to change the group address of the plug adapter to 1 (although I should probably select a group that does not exist on the wired side). Now I can scan the wireless network and find both devices. Sort of.

I can open the gateway off the network (on the wireless side) but I can't save it (ie, change Part Name). Still can't open the gateway on the wired side. The plug adapter shows up as a Group 1 device, but the line is in red, and the part name reads "Error - Failed to scan unit".

Gateway status (wireless side) stats include (if it means anything):
    • Total Packets Received = 250
    • Total Number of transmit attempts = 278
    • Total number of collisions detected in TAP = 61
    • Total number of transmissions dropped = 45
    • Total number of successful transmissions = 172
    All other numbers are zero.

Firmware on the wireless side is 1.10.0

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2009
    froop, Jun 9, 2009
  5. froop

froop

And a little more information.

I closed down Toolkit and C-Gate, and fired up the C-Bus Diagnostic tool. Gave me a few messages about using a PCI with a firmware greater than 4, and some other strange things.

Removed the wireless gateway from the network, and run Identify All Units. It goes through all units, receiving back a response from each one, then pops up a dialog listing all the types. As expected.

Plugged the wireless gateway back in, run Identify All Units, and get this:

froop, Jun 9, 2009
  6. froop

ashleigh Moderator

Sounds like too much burden. The fact that cgate is showing those transmit errors indicates that your wired network has connectivity problems. Check the usual: wiring, connections, terminations, burden.

ashleigh, Jun 9, 2009
  7. froop

froop

Definitely burden. I cut out all the upstairs keypads from the loop (lucky wife's downstairs at the moment :) ) and plugged the gateway in, and it all works perfectly.

At the moment (everything connected except for gateway), devices voltages range from 25.5V to 27.7V. When I plug in the gateway, voltages drop to between 18V and 22V.

Is this a case for another burden, or another power supply?

froop, Jun 9, 2009
  8. froop

ashleigh Moderator

You might need a bit more power.

The gateway is a thirsty little sucker - from memory I think its about 32 mA or something like that. Which is not much in the scheme of things but if your power capacity is close to the edge then this would be all it takes.

ashleigh, Jun 10, 2009
  9. froop

froop

That would make sense. But I figured out what was confusing me. Toolkit is telling me that I have 1000mA current supply on my network with 726mA consumption.

But looking closer at it, I have 3xL5508D1A dimmers, each providing 200mA. But it looks like my 2xL5512RVFP relay units are being detected as L5512RVF. So toolkit is overstating my supply by 400mA.

Adding up all my devices manually gives me 726mA, so that means I'm actually doing pretty well with enough devices to draw 726mA, but only enough 600mA of supply. I assume it's only working well at the moment is because not all the sensors and keypads would be drawing their rated 18mA all the time..

froop, Jun 10, 2009
  10. froop

daniel C-Busser Moderator

Hi froop,

You should be able to correct the catalog numbers of those 2xL5512RVFP units in the database. If after you've done this you still get the wrong calculations, please let us know.

daniel, Jun 10, 2009
  11. froop

froop

Yep, updated in the DB, and calculations are fine now. I just thought it worth mentioning that when Toolkit discovered my network, it picked up these two devices incorrectly.

froop, Jun 10, 2009
  12. froop

NickD Moderator

Toolkit actually can't detect the difference between the these two based on a network scan... as they both scan as a "RELDN12". When it finds a "RELDN12" on your network, it just pulls the first matching entry from its catalogue, which is the L5512RVF, due to the order the catalogue gets sorted in. If you had scanned them into your database from the barcode they would be correct, but after a network scan, doing what you have just done and manually correcting them is the right thing to do.

Perhaps it would be better if by default, Toolkit selected the versions with no power supply, as this would be more immediately obvious, and cause people in this situation to go looking for the reason the power supply capacity shows as 0mA...

Nick

NickD, Jun 11, 2009
Ask a Question