Wireless Gateway Help

Discussion in 'C-Bus Wireless Hardware' started by Frank Mc Alinden, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Guys
    Trying to get my wireless gateway working and im somewhat confused...
    I have the wireless remote controlling a plugin dimmer and plugin relay unit i also hopefully have them linked to the wireless gateway....

In toolkit i have setup the near address as 250??? , But im not sure how im suppose to setup the far address of the Gateway....I assume once this is done i can then see via toolkit the plugin adaptors on the wireless network ...???

Can someone please point me in the right direction....

Many thanks
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Mar 4, 2005
  2. Frank Mc Alinden

Duncan

Hi Frank!

Welcome to the weekend!

This is the easiest way:

1. Scan your WIRED Network using Toolkit..
    2. Fnd the GATEWLSN unit that should appear..
    3. If its on 255 still (factory default) move it to a lower address..
    4. Once its not on 255, click on the Gateway (in the lower half of the screen)
    5. Click the "Make Network" button.

Toolkit will create a new Network to support the Wireless Network.. once its done this.. expand the newly created Network in the Treeview.. select the Units Node and hit the Scan Network button in the lower half of the screen.

If you ONLY see the Far Side of the Gateway (which will be of type WGATE5F) then your plug adaptors arent on the same House Code..

Duncan, Mar 4, 2005
  3. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Duncan
    Toolkit will create a new Network to support the Wireless Network.. once its done this.. expand the newly created Network in the Treeview.. select the Units Node and hit the Scan Network button in the lower half of the screen.

Is there anyway i can re enter this setup ,looks like i have already created a netwrok addr (250)...When i click on make network it informs me that its already been created..........

Also if the plugin modules arent present is it a matter od going thru the learn process again ????

Thanks for your help
    Frank

4. Frank Mc Alinden

Duncan

Frank,

Sounds like you've already created it fine.. Click on the new Wireless Network in the Treeview then click on the "Open Network" button at the top of your screen.. the status of the Network in the treeview should change from closed to "opening: to "running"..

Once it says Running, expand the Network, select "Units" in the treeview, then click the "Scan Network" button in the lower half of the screen.

If the Plug Adaptors dont appear then yes, you need to go thru the Learn Process.. You can validate that the learn process has worked by re-entering learn on any of the plug adaptors and observing which units "follow" that Unit into Learn.

Duncan, Mar 4, 2005
  5. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Duncan
    Im unable to open the wireless network ;-((........Must be the way i have addressed it.....As im a little confused by the near / far addressing referred to in the installation instructions....
    Wireless network address.....250
    Local network address........254

Also which is the topmost left button on a plugin module ???? top or bottom...

Thanks
    Frank

6. Frank Mc Alinden

Duncan

Frank,

I suggest you delete the Network you've created by click on the Network in the Treeview then clicking on the "Delete Network" button.

Once you've deleted the Network, go back to your wired Network, and use the "Make Network" button to let Toolkit recreate the Network. I'd be surpised if you can't open it after that.

I cant tell you which button is which on the Plug Adaptor.. but on Monday I'm gonna make sure that document has been updated to say top and bottom :)

Duncan, Mar 4, 2005
  7. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Duncan

I suggest you delete the Network you've created by click on the Network in the Treeview then clicking on the "Delete Network" button.

Once you've deleted the Network, go back to your wired Network, and use the "Make Network" button to let Toolkit recreate the Network. I'd be surpised if you can't open it after that.

Yep did that and now its running......But it doesnt see the plugin adaptor....
    Have a play but still no joy although every time i press the button on the remote to toggle the plugin module i can see activity on the pc interface so there appears to communication....

I cant tell you which button is which on the Plug Adaptor.. but on Monday I'm gonna make sure that document has been updated to say top and bottom

Good Stuff

Thanks very much for your help
    Frank

8. Frank Mc Alinden

Duncan

How many plug-in adaptors do you have?

If more than 2, try to create an association between them so that a button on one turns on the load on the other.. After you've done that.. go back to the Units view on the wireless Network and select the Gateway.. a button marked "Update" will appear, press this button.. it forces the Gateway to go out and rediscover units in its Network.

If the Gateway (on the wireless side) is still at address 255, readdress it to 254. Press the update button after that and rescan again (after waiting a minute).

Duncan, Mar 4, 2005
  9. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Duncan

How many plug-in adaptors do you have?

I have only got 2...a relay unit and a dimmer unit.......

Maybe what im trying to achieve isnt possible........My system is a wired system and i was hoping to add plugin units for table lamps etc....But my understanding of the wireless system now is that each plugin must be associated with a wireless wall plate ...??? which i dont have or need....

I was hoping my wired switches could control the plugin adaptors as well as the wireless remote......??
    Thanks
    Frank

10. Frank Mc Alinden

Duncan

Hi Frank,

Yes, your Wired switches AND your Wireless Remote CAN BOTH control your Wireless Plug Adaptors. No wall plates required for that scenario.

Duncan, Mar 4, 2005
  11. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Duncan
    Im still not able to get the plugin modules to be seen by the toolkit software........??

Could you please have a look at the attached file and see if itappears correct.

Many thanks
    Frank

Attached Files:

12. Frank Mc Alinden

Duncan

That looks fine Frank.

What happens when you hit "Scan Network" after selecting the "Units" node below the "Net 250" node? Do you see the Gateway on the Wireless side of the Network? It should appear as a "WGATE5F". Thats the first thing you need to get happening.

Duncan, Mar 5, 2005
  13. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

What happens when you hit "Scan Network" after selecting the "Units" node below the "Net 250" node? Do you see the Gateway on the Wireless side of the Network? It should appear as a "WGATE5F". Thats the first thing you need to get happening.

It scans and then comes up with "Network failed to open " error.........I have obviously done something wrong ..........
    Thanks
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Mar 5, 2005
  14. Frank Mc Alinden

Duncan

Frank.. I have Private Messag'ed you my home phone number.. give me a call..

Duncan, Mar 5, 2005
  15. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Duncan
    I have replied to your private message

Many thanks
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Mar 5, 2005
  16. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Wireless Gateway issue

Hi Duncan
    I got another wireless gateway and im having exactly the same problem...ie Toolkit cant see the wireless side of the gateway.....Cant imagine both devices being faulty must be something in my setup....???

Anybody else had this problem ????

Many thanks
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Mar 22, 2005
  17. Frank Mc Alinden

Duncan

Hi Frank,

Sorry the delay in responding.. missed your update.

Since you reported the issue.. it has become evident that other people have experienced this issue.. for some reason the same gateway/pci/networks work fine when the computer is substituted.

At this point I have no idea what the problem is and am having trouble replicating it here..

Do you have access to a different PC that you could try?

More info when it comes to hand.

Duncan, Mar 23, 2005
  18. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Hi Duncan

Sorry the delay in responding.. missed your update.

No problem....

Since you reported the issue.. it has become evident that other people have experienced this issue.. for some reason the same gateway/pci/networks work fine when the computer is substituted

Ok .....

At this point I have no idea what the problem is and am having trouble replicating it here..

Do you have access to a different PC that you could try?

I have another older pc on my network....do i have to load up toolkit onto it ??

Should i try using just a serial interface rather than mss100 device ??
    Many thanks
    Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Mar 23, 2005
  19. Frank Mc Alinden

Frank Mc Alinden

Unable to scan the wireless network ?

Hi Guys
    Has anyone else come across this issue and if so whats the fix...??

Frank

Frank Mc Alinden, Jul 15, 2005
Ask a Question